Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin City Recession thread starts here!.

Options
  • 14-10-2009 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking this one over for awhile, so here goes.

Lets help each other out here, if you spot a particularly good bargain in the shops, cafe's, bar's, restaurants, petrol stations etc - post 'em up.

Are you getting work done in the house, your car serviced, looking for a regular window cleaner, plumber, tiler, brickie and don't have any contacts - why not throw the job up here, I'm sure we've lots of handymen (and women) looking for even the smallest jobs these days.

We're all in this sh*t together.

Guys, keep the chat to a minimum (use your PM function for chats pls).

If you agree with a particularly good service/post , hit the 'thanks' button & don't engage in chat about 'Mary behind the till with the nice ass'.

Lets get cracking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the euro shops are excellent, some of the items they have for €2 are upwards of €4 in the normal supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Camden Casket (on Camden Street) is brilliant for bits and bobs for the house and it's ridiculously cheap. They have all kinds of things from paint brushes to plungers to cleaning products to bog roll - all kinds of everything!

I just moved house there the other day and I'm planning a trip in on Saturday to stock up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Just remembered this thread and that this offer was mentioned in the "best burger-thread":

Gourmet Burger Kitchen (GBK) offer any burger on the menu for 5 € before 5 p.m. any day of the week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fibbers Parnell st on a monday night is 2 euro a drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

the euro shops are excellent, some of the items they have for €2 are upwards of €4 in the normal supermarkets

This.

5 Chocolate Bars for €2
    Three Bottles of Coke etc €2
    Five cans of coke, sometimes even Tango or Sunkist Orange €2

Toothpaste 2 for €2

Go in and have a look, you'd nearly be guaranteed to find something you normally buy in Tesco or Dunnes for less than half the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lunch in IKEA. There's very few places where you can get a substantial 2 course lunch with unlimited amount of soft drinks for less than €8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Des wrote: »
    This.

5 Chocolate Bars for €2
    Three Bottles of Coke etc €2
    Five cans of coke, sometimes even Tango or Sunkist Orange €2

Toothpaste 2 for €2

Go in and have a look, you'd nearly be guaranteed to find something you normally buy in Tesco or Dunnes for less than half the price.

i got a mouse mat with a cushion on it for €2. one that is more or less identical cost me €16 in argos a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

i got a mouse mat with a cushion on it for €2. one that is more or less identical cost me €16 in argos a couple of years ago

Drop into Gloria's Four Seasons if you're in the Balbutcher Lane area -- Poppintree Parade. She has the above for the same price as well as USB hubs, laptop rests for keeping it cool, card readers, few other bits and pieces all between €2 - €4 or so.

And if you want anything in paticular and she hasn't got it, she'll get it for you.

Some real bargains in that shop in everything from tools, to toys to halloween costumes to hens night novelties (ie naughty stuff for girls).

Tell her Jim sent you and you might get it even cheaper. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I remember being in Sidney as a young fella backpacking and marveling a the "all you can eat" deals in the Asian restaurants and eating all I could eat for 10 Dollars... I lamented the fact that Dublin didn't have this. Well... how things have changed. I was in the Epicurean Food hall. All you can eat for 6.50! OK, the food is not going to blow you away, but if you are on hard times or packpacking, you would be hard pushed to buy the ingredients and cook all you can eat for that much money.

Just thought I would put this up, lots of people struggling, good for the students too... Any more all you can eat deals around?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

there are others doing similar for differing amounts of money

theres a place on abbey street near the epicurean called "Full House" or somehting like that

theres another on baggot street called "Changs" for around €8

and theres a malaysian restuarant in the IFSC called Swai that do an all you can eat buffet on thursday and friday lunch time for around €12

• Advertisement

All you can eat deals are going in the Epicurean Food Hall. They seem very very reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Jimmy Cheungs; all you can eat starters, main course and desserts for €12 at certain times. Epic to get through it all

+1 for Jimmy Chungs..the best of food and loads of it..its always kept fresh and replaced regularly..they've got a kick-ass bar too.
    Went to Full House to compare the two and Full House is aload of crap..tiny selection of food and pissy little place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

It does only seem to be the asian places doing it. Lovely place in Phisboro called ''Kung-Fu'' does an all you can eat deal. About 8 yoyo I think and its actually very nice, pretty fresh too. Very busy so the food is always topped up straight out of the kitchen. And best of all, It has a Bruce Lee theme.

Dancor wrote: »
    best of all, It has a Bruce Lee theme.

Ah yes..you get kicked in the face when you ask for seconds :D

It does only seem to be the asian places doing it

I'm pretty sure one of the offers in the Epicurean Food hall is an Italian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

There's a similar place (Chinese food) at the top of the Stephen's Green centre although I think you just load your plate once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It does only seem to be the asian places doing it. Lovely place in Phisboro called ''Kung-Fu'' does an all you can eat deal. About 8 yoyo I think and its actually very nice, pretty fresh too. Very busy so the food is always topped up straight out of the kitchen. And best of all, It has a Bruce Lee theme.
    Have you actually eaten there?

I have, and it's rank. The food looks better than it is.

Top marks for the Full House and avoid the place at the top of the Stephen's Green centre.

There's also a Philapino place just up from Full House that do a similar deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

the Indian place in Epicurean does it too, for about €9.50, it's really nice curry too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Have you actually eaten there?

Yes, Plenty of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

€2 chicken fillet baguettes in Centra just at the Ha'penny there, up to 2 salads aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

€2 chicken fillet baguettes in Centra just at the Ha'penny there, up to 2 salads aswell.

€1.99 in 'The Gem' on Abbey Street Lower and they are very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Beijing on Talbot Street opposite INM HQ.

Garden of India a few doors down from Jimmy Chungs. Was Garden of Eden strip joint before, SPI bar before that.

stovelid wrote: »
    There's a similar place (Chinese food) at the top of the Stephen's Green centre although I think you just load your plate once.

You get to refill but you MUST clear what's on your plate. Those who didn't clear their plates are no longer with us

Degsy wrote: »
    Ah yes..you get kicked in the face when you ask for seconds :D

Ho-ho

/not funny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

A huge bowl of soup noodles with seafood in Charming Noodles on Parnell St for €10 or €11. Gorgeous! I've never been able to finish a bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Spar on Dame street there is amazing, has some cracking deals like nutella pancakes for 2 quid and box of noodles for 3. Good stuff too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

few chinese places on Capel street doing dinner deals
    starter, main course and a soft drink/tea/coffee all for €9:90
    was tasty, filling and good value

there's a small indian on King Street North that does a savage feed at lunch or anytime. bring your own wine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭ro09

Yes I have gotten some great things in the euro shops and sometimes printed on the Items they are selling for 2euro you would see a price of 6euro or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Rashers wrote: »
    Drop into Gloria's Four Seasons if you're in the Balbutcher Lane area -- Poppintree Parade. She has the above for the same price as well as USB hubs, laptop rests for keeping it cool, card readers, few other bits and pieces all between €2 - €4 or so.

And if you want anything in paticular and she hasn't got it, she'll get it for you.

Some real bargains in that shop in everything from tools, to toys to halloween costumes to hens night novelties (ie naughty stuff for girls).

Tell her Jim sent you and you might get it even cheaper. :D

Is poppintree parade a new name? never heard of Glorias either..I havent been down balbutcher in a while though

Advertisement