Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin City Recession thread starts here!.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Bambi wrote: »
    Is poppintree parade a new name? never heard of Glorias either..I havent been down balbutcher in a while though

Up to three years ago if you drove (or walked) up Balbutcher Lane, from Ballymun shopping centre, you'd pass a piece of raised green on your left which separated Balbutcher Lane from Belclare.

Today if you took the same drive or walk you'd notice that the raised green is gone... replaced by apartments above a line of shops... Centra... an off licence.... Gloria's.... a beauty salon... pharmacy. (I think I'm leaving someone out).

That old raised green is now Poppintree Parade.

Oh, just to stay on topic Gloria's is selling very cheap Christmas decorations and small gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ellegee

I was in Dunnes yesterday and got a Percale (high thread count) double bed fitted sheet for €7 and a pack of two pillowcases for €3. Percale is so soft and smooth to sleep on, and it's usually much more expensive. But once you go Percale you'll never go back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

i got a mouse mat with a cushion on it for €2. one that is more or less identical cost me €16 in argos a couple of years ago

does anyone still use mouse mats as they are unnecessary and more of a hindrance to a mouse whic his not a rollerball?

I read in the Irish Times that "Popular city venue Bang Café to be wound up" and I wondered, if it's so popular, why is it being wound up?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Nedermeyer

They couldn't cook the books very well ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

does anyone still use mouse mats as they are unnecessary and more of a hindrance to a mouse whic his not a rollerball?

I read in the Irish Times that "Popular city venue Bang Café to be wound up" and I wondered, if it's so popular, why is it being wound up?

They were trading insolvent for a while, owed tons of tax as far as I remember, usual crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

The indian restaurant called Tulsi on Dundrum road does a 4 course indian meal for about a 10er during the daytime on weekdays. (Main, starter, small desert and cup of tea). The portions are small but the quality is good and all-in-all well worth it!

Boots in the departure's of dublin airport does a sandwich, snack and drink for 3.50e i think. That even includes some triple pack sandwiches. Definately best value for money at the airport!

Are diceys on harcourt street still doing the cheap drinks? They were a while back anyway... it was 2e/pint on wednesday night, and 3e/pint on thursday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I'd encourage anyone to look out for Aldi's 'super six' fruit and vegetable offers.
    They have weekly specials on for between 39 and 69c.

I got a punnet of cherry tomatoes, 3 lemons and an iceberg lettuce the other day for 39c each.

Bargain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Clearys has a great sale on right now for towels and bed linens. Egyptian cotton pillowcases are 1 euro each; full Egyptian cotton sheet sets (flat, fitted, and pillowcases) for 15-20 euro. Giant, fluffy, wear-all-day-on-Sunday bathrobes are 20 euro.

Also, this week at "Some Like it Hot" in Drumcondra (just off of the train station) all pizzas are half-price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Both Lidl and Aldi in rathmines have very low prices, due to being located right across the road from one another! Competition and all.

I'd say alot of the stuff there would be a good bit cheaper than the other outlets.

Oh yeah, for those who don't know, Lidl sell Coke, etc, for €1, yes, a euro. Save 50 to 55c. If only they stocked Vanilla Coke, truly heaven on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for all the input guys.

Here's my latest from shopping around, haggling and whinging.

Skoda Octavia flywheel from Skoda in Prussia Street (mean dealers) €2,200.

I got them down to their "Lowest, I can't go any lower pal", €1,700.

Tom Walsh, Belfast N.I. (main Skoda, Audi, VW dealer) €800.

S & M gearbox & clutch, James St. €920 (cash in hand).

Alan Fitzgerald, Newtown Ind.Est Dublin 17. Same job with CV boots inclusive - €980.

Shop around, there's massive savings to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Thank YOU for starting the thread! I just moved back to Dublin and am reeling from sticker shock, so the tips on this thread have been quite useful.

Because of the move I've been buying a lot of household items this week, so in addition to what I noted above I've seen that:

1) Ikea launched a sale today on random items within each department. Some curtains were half off, a lot of their really cool textiles were 50% off (some down to 2.99/meter), etc. AND you can get a big, cheap, tasty lunch!

2) Arnotts also has a huge bedding and towels sale on (it seems like no matter where you go in Dublin linens are on sale - Ikea is actually pretty non-competitive on duvets and bedsheets compared to what you can get in town right now). They had good, really high-quality stuff for 50-70% off. I got a duvet for 10, and they even had organic cotton linens on clearance - these are normally quite expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was in the euro shop today, they are selling a 6 pack of 500ml lucozade orange for €2

also, the farm food store on old county road in crumlin is selling 2 litres of milk for €1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Chicken Fillet Roll with two salads €1.99 in Spar on D'Olier street. Bargain Lunch!

westmoreland street? dont think there is a spar on dolier street

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Tesco in finglas doing 33cm barbeques for 19 euro yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

westmoreland street? dont think there is a spar on dolier street

There's a spar on both. Think Westmoreland street does it aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Very good butchers at the back of Lidl in Coolock. Called Spring Valley Meats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's a spar on both. Think Westmoreland street does it aswell.

Centra on Dame St do the offer too, along with Centra at the Ha'penny Bridge and afaik Spar on Dame St. Great "going home after a few pints" snack.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

sorry mods cant think where to put this:

Can someone bump or pm me the link to the thread about cheap pints in dublin? Im particularly interested in cheap pints somewhere in the city today (tuesday)...

thanks
    neacy

the bargain shop on the corner of marlborough street and earl street is closing down, i havent been in but there is bound to be good bargains in it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The Bernard Shaw run a 10x10 drinks menu, ten types of drinks, at a tenner each.
    10 x 10 Drinks Specials
    All the following drinks for €10 7 days a week

3 Pint Pitcher Bavaria
    2 x Cocktails ( Mojito / Long Island Iced Tea / Nina Simone )
    3 x Corona [ L/neck]
    3 x Perroni [ L/neck]
    3 x Moosehead [ L/neck]
    3 x Beamish [ Pint ]
    2 x Vodka + Redbull
    3 x Sambucca
    3 x Jaegermeister
    3 x Goldschlager

Nice smoking area, has pizza in a bus, pool table, good tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lentil

Meath Street (Off Thomas St, Dublin 8) Thursday - Saturday. Can't recommend it enough. Larkins Butchers for meats, J Roche for veg. Consistently cheap goods on sale up & down the length of it. Don't have a price list, but will be shopping there Saturday & will post some then.

i was in that shop on earl street this morning, they had some great offers

ladies sports socks were 3 pairs for €1 and they had loads of household stuff for €1/€2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Cafe en Sol has any sandwich + any hot drink for a fiver. Not too shabby!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭littleoulme

Cafe Sol - fresh tomato soup regular size - 1.50 and a a small roll is 60c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

(Fishamble Street).

Free BBQ & live music every Thursday night!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

2 euro shop in Henry street, 12 AA battery's for 2 euro
    2 9 volt battery's fr 2 euro,
    I use them with guitar pedals and they're pretty damn good, although get the occasional dud packet where all battery's are flat.

the seabank house pub on east road in east wall, does a HUGE dinner after 8 o clock for 13 euro, seems alot but you get a pint with it as well, very good if your looking to fill up and get your 5 a day, last meal I had there was roast of the day, ham, with 7 different vegetables and mash. really great food.

Obviously Aldi and LIDL are great examples of recession beating value, and tescos is great for bargains.

For the smokers out there who are not in the know, golden Virginia small pouch of tobacco is 4.50, and you get cigarette papers included. just buy filter tips with it and it will save you a fortune each week, the filters take the harshness off them. if you can't quit/don't want to quit, then its the sensible option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

MacTurcails in Tara st all pints 3.50 monday-friday and cocktails for 4 euros.
    Also when i was there they had free platters if you booked a table for 6 people or more.
    platters in there are huuge too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mara.

2.50 chicken fillet roll :D hahaaa.

Diceys 2.50 a drink, and a classy crowd. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

DUBLIN DRINKS PROMOS

7 Days a week:
    O Reillys Tara St €3.60 pints
    Bernard Shaw, Richmond St €10x10 offer
    Pravda on Liffey St is €4 pints
    Twisted Pepper (10x10 deals)
    TGI Fridays, Stephens Green, Blackrock, Blanch, Dundrum
    €4 pints €5 cocktails
    Capitol €5 cocktails

Monday
    Diceys, Harcourt St €2 per drink (€5 cover charge)[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    McGowans, Phibsboro, €3.50 per drink
    Fibber Magees, 80 Parnell St. €3 per drink (€5 cover charge)
    Captain America's Tallaght/Grafton st/Blanch
    €3 pints & selected cocktails Mon-Tue, Free in.
    21's on D'Ollier St. €2 per drink €1 in

Tuesday:
    Diceys €2.50 per drink (€5 cover charge)
    21's on D'Ollier St. €3 per drink €7 in

Wednesday:
    Diceys €3 per drink (€5 cover charge)
    21's on D'Ollier St. €2 per drink €5 in

Thursday:
    Diceys €3.50 per drink (€5 cover charge)
    McGowans €3.50 per drink
    Fibber Magees, 80 Parnell St. €3 per drink (€5 cover charge)
    Fibbers Rock Bar, 27 Upper Ormond Quay. €3.50 per drink

Friday:
    Diceys €4 per drink (€5 cover charge)
    Krystle, Harcourt St €3 pints, bottles and shots
    SIN nightclub, Temple Bar €50 all your drinks all night + admission

Saturday:
    21's on D'Ollier St. €2 per drink €10 in
    SIN nightclub, Temple Bar €50 all your drinks all night + admission

Sunday:
    Legal Eagle, Four Courts. All drinks half price
    McGowans €3.50 per drink
    Pygmalion: Half Price Drinks