Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin City Recession thread starts here!.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

anyone into yorkies should head to the euro shops. they have a pack of 7 bars at 2 packs for €3. they are a little smaller than the normal bars though but still a bargain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Am i the only one who thinks these all you can eat Chinese and pizza slice places are making the north inner city to have even less class? If that's even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

DUBLIN DRINKS PROMOS

7 Days a week:

...Pravda on Liffey St is €4 pints

Not true, sadly :( I was in there on Saturday and the cheapest pint they had was Guinness at €4.50. And terrible Guinness at that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Centra rip-off expects everyone to pay 65 cents for your ordinary bannana.
    Forget that..useless companies kill off small suppliers.
    There's fruit markets in moore st and a stall at the top of Nth Earl st and junction of marlboro st..20 pence for a bananna..i get a couple every morning going into work!

In Sin é on the quays tonight. Pints of Guinness and some sort of red beer €3 every Sunday and Monday. Good pint as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Quiz nite in Grand Central every Monday at 8pm. Free to play and the winner get's €50.

Won it myself, easiest 50 quid I made!:):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

Degsy wrote: »
    There's fruit markets in moore st and a stall at the top of Nth Earl st and junction of marlboro st..20 pence for a bananna..i get a couple every morning going into work!
    I sometimes get 6 or 7 bananas for a euro at one of those stalls, if they get to know you as a regular it helps.

Japer wrote: »
    I sometimes get 6 or 7 bananas for a euro at one of those stalls, if they get to know you as a regular it helps.

its handy to remember if you go to moore street around laf 5 or a quarter to 6 you can pick up fruit and veg cheaper than it was during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Just regarding Car Insurance - I was being quoted 659 for fully comp this year - I went to goggins insurance brokers (I thought they'd be mad expensive) anyway they've gotten me a quote for 360 through Riteway.

Also TSB is giving six months free house insurance - the details are on the bargain alerts Forums.

2 litre milk .99 cent in Iceland

The Book Station in Charlestown, Finglas - have great deals on books - way cheaper than Easons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

deelite wrote: »
    Just regarding Car Insurance - I was being quoted 659 for fully comp this year - I went to goggins insurance brokers (I thought they'd be mad expensive) anyway they've gotten me a quote for 360 through Riteway.

Also TSB is giving six months free house insurance - the details are on the bargain alerts Forums.

2 litre milk .99 cent in Iceland

The Book Station in Charlestown, Finglas - have great deals on books - way cheaper than Easons.

Whereabouts is there an Iceland?

• Advertisement

When you get off the plane the first shop on the right..

Finglas
    Navan Road (Beside McDonalds)

Sorry I misread your question - I thought you said Whereabouts in Iceland......(I'll wear my glasses in future)

i 'think' there is an iceland on the navan road now, not far from the brefni pub. i could swear thats where i saw one last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

i 'think' there is an iceland on the navan road now, not far from the brefni pub. i could swear thats where i saw one last week

Where McDonalds is on the Navan Road, Dublin 7
    Main St, Finglas, Dublin 11.
    Ballyfermot, Dublin 10

And there will be one opening in the Ilac Centre (beside Moore St entrance, where old Dunnes grocery used to be.) soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Lidl do Saturday specials - well worth stocking up if its something you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

friend going to work in dublin, is it easy to get acommodation, what prices, are there one bed apartments available at a decent price, she needs one quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sobertales

cosmic wrote: »
    Camden Casket (on Camden Street) is brilliant for bits and bobs for the house and it's ridiculously cheap.
    +1 on the Camden Casket - amazing value in there... I got a loaf tin, water spray can, umbrella, cup measures & a chopping board for €10 - bought a can opener in another pound shop a few days earlier for €4.50, saw the exact same one in there for €1. Highly Recomended! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sobertales

@goat2 - one bed apts are a total rip off in Dub - two beds don't cost too much more. Demand is high in the hotspots - Ranelagh, Rathmines, Portobello, CC (Que'd to see a two bed in Cowper, Rathmines, twas like a train station). She might get a reasonable studio somewhere like SCR, I saw a few going for around €450-€500. Rents are much lower on the North side, Phibsboro is not a bad area, lots of flats & studios and v. close to city center. It really depends on what she can pay and what standard she can put up with! I'm sure your checking out www.daft.ie but you could also check out www.gumtree.ie (thats were I got my place for a steal as tenants were breaking their lease!)

DUBLIN DRINKS PROMOS

7 Days a week:
    O Reillys Tara St €3.60 pints
    Bernard Shaw, Richmond St €10x10 offer
    Pravda on Liffey St is €4 pints
    Twisted Pepper (10x10 deals)
    TGI Fridays, Stephens Green, Blackrock, Blanch, Dundrum
    €4 pints €5 cocktails
    Capitol €5 cocktails

Thursday:
    Diceys €3.50 per drink (€5 cover charge)
    McGowans €3.50 per drink
    Fibber Magees, 80 Parnell St. €3 per drink (€5 cover charge)
    Fibbers Rock Bar, 27 Upper Ormond Quay. €3.50 per drink

Any update on these deals? Are they still valid? any additions?
    Heading to Elbow on Thursday in the O2, looking for cheap pints before and probably after!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kdb14

I'm doing free life coaching sessions to get more experience if anyone is interested! Ultimate recession buster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jaybro

The Lovin Spoon on Frederick Street North, just past the Gardens of Remembrance. 6.50 all day breakfast fry up. 2 massive sausages, 2 rashers, white and black pudding, beans, mushrooms, fried egg, pancake... it's difficult to finish and delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

€2.50 pints of Carling in the Headline at Leonards Corner, or a pitchers for €7. Think it used to be just Thursday but is now everyday. Must be the cheapest pint in Dublin.

The Gulf Garage behind Superquinn, Finglas are selling petrol at 1.48 per litre (3cent cheaper) The Diesel is 6 cent cheaper than the nearest filling station.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its down to 147. now

pumps.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I subscribe to both Aldi and Lidl websites - they send you their special offers a couple of days ahead so you don't miss anything.

I visited Buy Lo in Royal Liver SC on Naas Road for the first time yesterday, and I got some good prices for the following:

Lucozade Sports Orange, pack of 4 - €2.99
    750l Fairy liquid - €1.99
    Old Time Irish marmalade - €1.75
    Lynx Africa shower gel - €1.35
    Lge Pringles Plain or Sour Cream+Onion - €1.45
    1kg Siucra Sugar - €1.00 (500g in Dunnes was 65c) (I prefer Siucra)

You may know of better prices but these are cheaper than my local Dunnes where I normally shop.

irishbird wrote: »
    its down to 147. now

pumps.ie

146. today (it might be lower by Wednesday when I need more:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

it takes them a couple of days to react if the price drops in the Topaz around the corner on the North Rd, I ran my car down to fumes the last time Topaz dropped waiting for them to drop, couldn't last any longer and got petrol for 1c less than in Topaz, but they dropped it the very next day :mad::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Delhi O'Deli on Moore St gives you a big feed of curry for a fiver.

Down past the end of Henry street there's a hairdressers where I get a dry cut for 7 or 8 Euros, which beats most others.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Nothing beats your own hair trimmer.
    electric_hair_clippers_a.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hermy wrote: »
    Nothing beats your own hair trimmer.

I'll take the cut from the trained professional any day of the week tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yeah if that's what you need then that's fine.
    I've been doing my own for about ten years now without any need for professional help.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement