Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lime Mortar ?

• 14-10-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to mix a lime mortar for re-pointing the old stone wall of an out building ? I have some powdered hydrated lime and I don't know if I can simply mix this with sand, sand/cement or if I have to make a lime putty from it before I mix it with the sand ???

Thanks

FB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

flynnboy wrote: »
    Hi

Can anyone tell me how to mix a lime mortar for re-pointing the old stone wall of an out building ? I have some powdered hydrated lime and I don't know if I can simply mix this with sand, sand/cement or if I have to make a lime putty from it before I mix it with the sand ???

Thanks

FB

Google.ie "Lime Mortar". There's a wealth of info there.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Do not mix cement with lime!
    The idea with lime is to mix sand and water slowly & completely.
    There is an Expert in Tullow! PM sent.

Never use cement in an old stone wall - lime moves & breaths, cement doesn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yekim

for RQK

I have an old stone house that i plan to renovate too and i want to raise the entire exterior wall and gable ends up by 2-3 feet, my questions are:
    can this be done safely with a lime based concrete and could this be supplied by usual suppliers or would it have to be mixed on site.
    If you have any thoughts or answers, post a reply or contact details for the guy in Tullow.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

PM sent.
    Raising the roof level will require planning permission. A professional can advise on this work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

lime mortar will draw moisture in ,has little no strength compared to Portland and lads take a lot shxt about stone breathing .

if you have a problem wall with loose stone drawing the damp in ,i would use white cement ,sand ,waterproofer in the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oleary.k1

flynnboy wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks

FB

You need to use a hydraulic lime for the re pointing of an old wall, The traditional Lime Company will give you the info you need. The hydrated Lime you get in a builders providers is useless for what you need. Dont use cement on the wall as this will damage the wall over time.

Advertisement