Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traveling from maynooth

Options
  • 14-10-2009 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

We are moviing to Maynooth in the new year and we were wondering about the commute into Dublin, is it better to drive or get the train ? What are the bus routes like ? What would people recommend ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

better to drive

the above would be but it depends where in dublin you are commuting to and if you have free parking at your location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tweenas

I will be traveling to the Northside of the city near Fairview and i will have free parking. I can't belive it takes at least 40 mins by train, i thought it would be much shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

It could well take you more than 40 minutes door-to-door if you take the train. You have to get to the station in Maynooth, and then get from Connolly to Fairview. How long it takes to drive will depend on the route you take once you pass Chapelizod and what time you are prepared to leave at in the morning and evening. Travel time to and from the M50 interchange isn't too bad, I'm not sure after that. Suck it and see I guess.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maynooth is about 27 km from Dublin city centre.
    If you are travelling during rush hour the train is much quicker.
    Fairview is not on the train line so you would need to get a bus or maybe dart to Clontarf road from town.
    Trains like the 8:12 are express trains so take a bit less time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I travel from Maynooth to Eastwall every morning.
    Approximately 45 minutes by car and in the summer months when the kids are off you can do it in 35.

Best route?

N4-Lucan Village-Strawberry beds-Phoenix park--Exit North circular road gate--North Circular road(depending on traffic)If its heavy go Prussia Street-Left at the end(Brunswick Street) on to Constitution Hill--Right at the top onto Dorset street and then back onto North Circular Road at the "Big Tree"

Edit/ Meant to say during the snow like last year I left the car in work and was home in less than an hour.Drivers were taking 3 hours + to get to Maynooth.

I did use the train a few mornings but honestly the commute is sometimes longer on the train.
    Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Edit/ Meant to say during the snow like last year I left the car in work and was home in less than an hour.Drivers were taking 3 hours + to get to Maynooth.

Lucky them! It took me 6+ from Sandyford!
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    I did use the train a few mornings but honestly the commute is sometimes longer on the train.
    Hope this helps.

Yeah, I used to get the train into town for work and would have liked to have been able to drive-I was often quicker when driving if I left at the right time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tweenas

thanks ...looks like the car.:)

Advertisement