Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colman's OPark C&C

• 14-10-2009 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭

Hi all, a few pics from St Colmans Park last night, with a recently acquired 85mm f/1.8 on a 40D. C&C welcome - and can anybody advise the best way to deal with the purple fringes that are so obvious around the goalposts?

Thanks!

-Foxt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭funnyname

Cool photos, did the linesman's flag go up for the 3rd one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have edited your post so that it's easier to see the images. It's normally best to host your images & then just link them in here. This can be done on sites such as Flickr or Pix.ie. Well done for putting up some shots for C&C.

I do not know much about Sports Photography but I think you have a few problems with these images. First they are all soft. I cannot see anything which is sharp. This is most likely from using too slow a shutter speed. The other problem is that in the first two shots the background is very distracting. I realise that you are limited by the constraints of the location & also the light was probably quite low. These things make it very difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

This lens is well known for high CA wide open.
    Photoshop lets you remove it to some extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

To eliminate purple fringing dont shoot wide open, only way to get rid of it. Whats the shutter speed on these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Borderfox wrote: »
    Whats the shutter speed on these?

They are at 1/250 but in an earlier post the OP believed this is ok for sport.

OP, none of these images are keepers, they are soft and poor quality overall.

An 85mm lens will not give you reach or quality under lights for sport action images.

For sport, under lights, a minimum of ISO 800, aperture of 2.8 and shutter speed of 1/500 combined are the basics of freezing the action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Funnyname- the flag went up, Ramblers didn't get away with that one!!
    Cabansail - Thanks a lot for editing my post, and the advice.

shutter speeds are 1/160 (1st one) & 1/250 (the other 2)

All shot at ISO 1000, and around f/2.0.

It sounds like I should use ISO 3200 which will then let me go to 1/500 & maybe f/2.4 - the faster shutter speed should pay more than the higher ISO will cost? I'll try that next time, I appreciate the good advice.

You are absolutely right - the 85mm has a short reach , even on a crop frame sensor. It's the longest lens I have with a wide aperture, but is still too short. It forces me to crop which results in images being even softer.

Finally, the background is indeed distracting, a nightmare. So I need

- a 70-200 f/2.8
    and
    -a JCB

I'll put those on the shopping list!

Cheers ,

-FoxT

Here's an example of an image taken under LOI standard floodlights.

Exposure is 1/500 @f2.8 with ISO of 800

You don't necessarily need to up the ISO to 3200.

The shutter speed of 1/500 will generally freeze the action and coupled with the ISO of 800 and the aperture of 2.8 gives a clean sharp image.

Your lens is fast and sharp enough for portraits but not for sport action.

BC164B3E068E40DA9C45A31A8DB7915E-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Soccerc - that is a very sharp photo & shows clearly what I would like to achieve. To be fair, you had about 2.5 stops more light than I had, Cobh Ramblers obviously not paying their ESB bills, light at Colmans is always poor, much worse than Turners X. But, my son is on the team, so that is where I must go..... Thanks to everybody for their advice, I'll try upping the ISO for a min shutterspeed of 1/500 & see what happens. Cheers, FoxT

FoxT wrote: »
    Soccerc - that is a very sharp photo & shows clearly what I would like to achieve. To be fair, you had about 2.5 stops more light than I had, Cobh Ramblers obviously not paying their ESB bills, light at Colmans is always poor, much worse than Turners X. But, my son is on the team, so that is where I must go..... Thanks to everybody for their advice, I'll try upping the ISO for a min shutterspeed of 1/500 & see what happens. Cheers, FoxT

You're lens is 1.8, mine was 2.8 so it's in your favour not mine as you've indicated.

The lights in Richmond Park and those in St Colmans Park are the same design, vintage and quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

New lights were installed in Colman's in the past couple of seasons. Never shot under them though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement