Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inis Iron Meain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

LOL - people are really beginning to take the pi$$ with race entry fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Like I said, its expensive. I think it was only 20 quid last year too.
    Its only the unique location that still sells it I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

It was 50euro last year.

With regard to this race, the entire entry fee goes towards school funding for the primary school on the island.

I did it last year, was a lovely race and absolutely great fun afterwards. There was a fancy dress in the pub that night. Absolute legend of the night.

Yes, the race is expensive, but all the money goes to a good cause. If you've the time and money for it then I'd highly recommend it.

I did it last year, was a lovely race and absolutely great fun afterwards. There was a fancy dress in the pub that night. Absolute legend of the night.

That pub IS fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

This one tempts me despite the money :D Great island, great pub, great people.....
    HaryEustace is the route very hilly? There's a hell of a hill from the boat up to the pub... that's all I remember!

• Advertisement

Yes, there's one hill that's practically vertical! And if you do the extended race on the beach then the sand just SUCKS the life out of your legs. But a really lovely, unique race.

Yes, expensive, but going for a good cause and limited numbers.

If I had the money I'd definitely go again this year. I had such a laugh, it was BRILLIANT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

It was 50euro last year.

With regard to this race, the entire entry fee goes towards school funding for the primary school on the island.

It's at best unclear that all the €50 goes to the school. Kudos if this is the case, but why make the cheque out to a private firm? If this is not just another charity "hook", it should be made clearer.
    From the link above:

"There will be an entry fee of €50 which must be paid by cheque before the start of the event. This money will be paid in the form of a contribution to the fundraising activities of Coláiste Naomh Eoin. This cheque should be made payable to 'Inis "Iron" Meáin'."

How much is "a contribution"? Apologies if my post is damning a hard working group of volunteers who are raising legitimate funds, but I've grown weary from the amount of races that boast their charity tie-in while not disclosing their true profit-driven motives.

And I'm not saying that is the case here, so HardyEustace if you can clarify, I'd be grateful. Nothing would bring a smile to my face more than a group of enthusiasts banding together to do something positive to help their local school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Agree with donothoponpop. If the events were up front with the exact contribution that was charity bound and these details were subseqeuently published, it would be so much better.

Personally, I'd love to do a race on Inishmaan, or a half marathon in the Black Valley, or, or, or .. but thats a lot of dosh all added up. Hmmm do I pay 50 quid to run in a unique location or do I head out the Wicklow hills and do a free run in a unique location?

Running is popular right now. Theres a risk that we kill the thing we love by pricing races out of people's ability to pay. Ok, I know, it all comes down to personal choice.

IMO, 10ks for upwards of 30 lids are taking the piss, charity or not :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Fair points... the wording is a bit vague :( I'm probably naive in thinking that the contribution is whatever is left after costs. When you add travel costs and possible overnight stay it is a considerable cost. I'm out for that one anyway as my babysitter wonderful husband will be away that weekend.

And I'm not saying that is the case here, so HardyEustace if you can clarify, I'd be grateful. Nothing would bring a smile to my face more than a group of enthusiasts banding together to do something positive to help their local school.

Can't actually clarify it as just going by what I heard about the race from my pal last year. I don't know the people involved in the organisation directly. Therefore while I believe what I said to be the scenario for the race, I couldn't actually state that it's the absolute truth. Just had no reason to question my pal about it last year when I heard about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

I signed my cheque payable to the school itself and put Inis iron meain on it too! Last yrs application was payable to school and this one in the link above is payable to Inis Iron Meain,
    Hopefully they accept it and I get a chance to get drunk after dressed as a Zombie Nazi...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Didn't know of this race despite it being on my doorstep (if your doorstep can be 10 miles of sea from your door!). Inis Meain a great island, has the making of a nice daytrip with a few pints ti Phadraic after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Sorry to the OP, this pricing thing is a distraction from his thread, however, from another entry on that blog, it would appear that this is a genuine fundraiser. In which case, fair play to them, €50 is very expensive, but in terms of helping our underfunded schools, its value for money. €50 could pay for a Special Needs Assistant to help out for a morning. Or it could pay for art materials, books, PE equipment. Or pay for repairs to a leaky "classroom" prefab. Or it could take you just over 10% of the distance between terminals 1 and 3 in Heathrow, in a limo.

"A 10 kilometer run over winding roadways, rough terrain, sand dunes and beaches, is what it takes to compete in the 'Inis Iron Meáin'. Every November since 2004, Inis Meáin hosts one of the most challenging athletic events in the country, a fact confirmed by regular participants such as Sonia O'Sullivan and David Campbell (last years winner). The 10 kilometer run was initiated by Lorcain O'Callarain in 2004, the then Muinteoir i bhFoighil of Coláiste Naomh Eoin as a fundraiser for the new secondary school.
    From late September onwards, the students and staff of Coláiste Naomh Eoin start preparations for the event. Entry fees must be recorded and acknowledged, the courses (crua agus fíor crua) must be marked out, hot food for after the event has to be organised, maps are prepared, accommodation and restaurants are booked, 10k goody bags are packed and nightly entertainment is decided. This hustle and bustle radiates throughout the island and the whole community gets behind the school, making it one of the most anticipated events of the year.
    Text Box: Inis "Iron" Meáin Fancy Dress 2008. The Inis Meáin Pink ladies!However, the weekend does not just focus on strenuous activity alone. It is a chance for friends to meet up and a fancy dress competition is held in the pub on the night of the 10k. Last years fancy dress theme had to do with the letter 'P' which saw both islanders and mainlanders dressed up as Popeye, priests, pirates, pink ladies and pea pods!
    However, to participate in the Inis "Iron" Meáin you do not have to be a serious athlete. There is an easier shorter course and you can walk, jog or run. On behalf of Coláiste Naomh Eoin, we would like to extend much thanks to all of you on the mainland and on Inis Meáin who supported the event to date, making it an event to remember which goes from strength to strength every year.

The 2009 Inis "Iron" Meáin will be held on Saturday the 21st of November. If you feel that you are up to the challenge, then please contact:
    Coláiste Naomh Eoin at (099) 73991 or ring Geraldine on (086)3460792 and we will fill you in on all the details for Inis "Iron" Meáin 2009. Cost per entry is €50."

Hmm. I dont like the thought of fancy dress but I guess I'll have to look into it.
    I'd be surprised if much of the 50 was taken away by some race organiser to line his pockets. It'll be a small enough event -maybe 200 runners I'd guess from looking at previous results. A lot of the runners are kids from the island.
    I'll look out for you on the day Magnet!

And sorry, just to clarify, I would absolutely stand by the statement I made earlier of all the funds going to national school. I, by no means, meant to state that I wasn't more than confident in the facts that I'd stated, I just had nothing "official" to back it up. It was a fantastic race last year which was so enjoyable and brilliant.

I'd give it the absolute thumbs up as a lovely race and really, really lovely day out. The race was just fantastic and it really was just such a nice, relaxed day out. I know in these recessionary times that the entry fee may be a bit steep for some people but if you have the cash and you fancy a lovely 10k around beautiful scenery and some fantastic hospitality and great fun then by all means I'd recommend this race.

If you are going to do, a bit of hill training wouldnt go amiss, there's one hill where you're practically breathing tarmac as you're going up the hill and if you take the beach option, it manages to suck about a marathon two hours out of your legs.

However, getting to run along a beach with the waves rushing along the shore and people chatting away during the race is just priceless. You won't find another one like it. Do it if you get the chance.

I'll be back again, for sure.

And sorry, just to clarify, I would absolutely stand by the statement I made earlier of all the funds going to national school. I, by no means, meant to state that I wasn't more than confident in the facts that I'd stated, I just had nothing "official" to back it up. It was a fantastic race last year which was so enjoyable and brilliant.

I'd give it the absolute thumbs up as a lovely race and really, really lovely day out. The race was just fantastic and it really was just such a nice, relaxed day out. I know in these recessionary times that the entry fee may be a bit steep for some people but if you have the cash and you fancy a lovely 10k around beautiful scenery and some fantastic hospitality and great fun then by all means I'd recommend this race.

If you are going to do, a bit of hill training wouldnt go amiss, there's one hill where you're practically breathing tarmac as you're going up the hill and if you take the beach option, it manages to suck about a marathon two hours out of your legs.

However, getting to run along a beach with the waves rushing along the shore and people chatting away during the race is just priceless. You won't find another one like it. Do it if you get the chance.

I'll be back again, for sure.

Wow! I've been meaning to do it for a few years now but something else always came up. That description really has me looking forward to it.
    I know the island very well from repeated trips and know all about those hills.

So im gonna be a KILLER BEE
    Whats anyone else doin`?
    Earlyevening? Dentist? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I've gone to this the past 2 years and this will be my third. I amn't a runner, my wife runs it, I think it was her first 10k the first time she ran this.
    Even as an innocent bystander the craic at this run is second to none. You have to stay around for the fancy dress in the pub after, legendary stuff. A fancy dress really is a great way for breaking the ice and everyone enjoys it. I've met and kept in contact with a number of people at this event and the same faces have been there the past few years.
    As far as I am aware ALL the money goes to the school. I know the main organisers get nothing out of it. Am sure there are a few costs taken from it but in general this race entry fee goes fully to the school. The locals love the event as its quiet enough this time of year and its a very welcoming and unique environment.
    Lets hope the weather is decent for it, although last year it was baltic in the evening and myself and a mate spent an hour or so trying to find the restaurant in football kit!
    I had good intentions of running this this year as my first ever run but alas, other things took precidence, maybe next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Heard on the radio this morning that this race has been postponed as a mark of respect for the four young women killed in a car crash in Galway recently, and that access to Inis Meain would probably be difficult anyway due to the weather conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

ronanmac wrote: »
    Heard on the radio this morning that this race has been postponed as a mark of respect for the four young women killed in a car crash in Galway recently, and that access to Inis Meain would probably be difficult anyway due to the weather conditions.

Yep, it has been postponed.
    The 2 choices are next weekend the 21st or the 3rd weekend of January the 23rd.

Will be decided during the week when it will happen.

Ya its cancelled - Just as well as im more or less marooned in Athenry and cant get out :mad:
    I voted for the Jan 23rd cos it aint gonna be any better next week!!!
    Thankfully AerArann says I can reschedule my flight to suit.
    oh well :(

Advertisement