Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMS or BB where I can add custom modules?

Options
  • 14-10-2009 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, messed with a couple of CMSes before, but never had cause to use them so never got to grips with them.

Basically I'm looking to set up a site with some standard features - user registration, news and so forth, but add a custom module that allows each user to add in information about an object, let's say for example their phone - they can add the phone's make, model, IMEI and so forth as well as upload a few photos of it. There would be a few other indicator fields as well. And they can have multiple phones.
    This information can then be visible in the user's public profile or private depending on how they want it to be.

Yes, that's a very rough spec, but hopefully you get the idea. Ideally I'd want to write a complete bolt-on module for whatever software I use rather than hacking the crap out of the actual software and then giving myself a headache when it comes to upgrade time. But I haven't been able to ascertain which (if any) packages actually support this kind of thing.

It would have to be PHP based. Recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I would say Vbulletin, but after their license change I'm not sure if I want to promote it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, the price seems a but nuts now alright. I'll keep looking around.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭W!zard

Have you looked at iWiccle CMS ? It can do what you are looking for plus adding custom modules / add-on changes you mentioned is a snap with this new framework. If you need help or directions, just pm me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Have a look at MODx, the Snippets and Plugins can be very cool to play with. Plus of course there's WordPress if the core site is simple, just put all the functionality in a new template and map a page to that.

vB's new licencing is... interesting. The lack of a demo is mind-boggling. You'd wonder given their history if they've developed a duffer and they're trying to make a few quid out of it before people catch on.

adam

Advertisement