Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody recognise these pricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Xiney wrote: »
    With the risk of sounding all "kids today" at the ripe old age of 24 (actually still 23 for a while yet), I honestly believe that if they'd been properly disciplined as children, not so many of them would have turned into major assholes.
    At the ripe old age of 29 I can tell you this kind of thing happened when I was of collage age and that allot of people over 40 in this country are the biggest assholes you'll ever meet. Some people my age and older where so "disciplined" it's messed up their heads and they just can't be social.

These where just stupid kids, the world is full of them, I've yet to meet an un-stupid kid now that I think of it. It looks like they'll be taught their lesson by the way things are going they'll have the whole of Galway shaming them soon enough which will be a great lesson to other kids this age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

no they weren't - read my post again. She was snotty from the first.

So just by their tone of voice you judged them, again all they did was ask to get by, no major crime, if I was your friend I would have been more surprised at your reaction not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

galwaybob wrote: »
    Fcuk me, is this the future of Ireland :rolleyes:

Its a pity they didn't knock on my door, I would have gladly introduced 2 or 3 of them to the business end of a baseball bat. spas

Yeah and then we would see you on page 2 of the Galway Advertiser.
    I'm a student, we are the future of Ireland. 95% of us aren't this bad. Most students do learn a bit of cop on in second year (it's the first years tht are an absolute joke).

I think it's time to organise a lynch mob. Bring your own torch.

Honestly though, hope they get what's coming to them. I'm sure Judge Fahy will throw the book at them.

And I agree with Darko, to an extent... Students aren't always the problem, it's just one or two feckin eejits among a group that cause trouble when they're pissed drunk.

Why do students get such a bad rep. How many non-students got arrested and were doing stupid crap on St. Patricks Day and the Volvo ocean race? I'd say a good number posting in this thread. There's nearly as much trouble in one day of St Paddys Day than the whole of Rag Week. The majority of trouble in rag week is in Corrib/Gort, in town you'll only see the casualties and the odd "student" who's up for the night just to get finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

With the risk of sounding all "kids today" at the ripe old age of 24 (actually still 23 for a while yet), I honestly believe that if they'd been properly disciplined as children, not so many of them would have turned into major assholes.

Threat of physical violence seems to be the only thing to shut them up - was walking around dominick street with my husband and a friend from university (visiting) and the pathways are narrow so in fairness the three of us (6' husband, 6'3 friend of bulgarian extraction) we were blocking it and two female students came up behind us and said, "Sorry, can we get by" (a bit snottily but I took no notice at that point) and my friend, while moving away said in a good natured way, "Yeah we're sorry too!". They did this little sarcastic "ha ha" while passing, which I then imitated (more sarcastic and more than loud enough to hear)

They turned around as if to start something, but the look on her face when she saw me! Ha. Priceless. (I'm 5'7, was wearing heels, and I used to play ice hockey... enough said.) She thought better of it anyway.

It really is too bad that it's illegal to knock the shite out of snotty students. (That is not an indictment of violence, it's just wishful thinking)

Um have I missed something here? It sounds to me like the rudeness was only coming from one side tbh. Just my thoughts of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Threat of physical violence seems to be the only thing to shut them up - was walking around dominick street with my husband and a friend from university (visiting) and the pathways are narrow so in fairness the three of us (6' husband, 6'3 friend of bulgarian extraction) we were blocking it and two female students came up behind us and said, "Sorry, can we get by" (a bit snottily but I took no notice at that point) and my friend, while moving away said in a good natured way, "Yeah we're sorry too!". They did this little sarcastic "ha ha" while passing, which I then imitated (more sarcastic and more than loud enough to hear)

They turned around as if to start something, but the look on her face when she saw me! Ha. Priceless. (I'm 5'7, was wearing heels, and I used to play ice hockey... enough said.) She thought better of it anyway.

It really is too bad that it's illegal to knock the shite out of snotty students. (That is not an indictment of violence, it's just wishful thinking)

Would make for interesting reading in a court report........ Two six foot men and ex hockey playing Canadian tussle with two female students.
    It could be spun so easily no matter who is in the right.

Reminds me of the old line..... I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Super clear video, wouldn't wanna be in those retards shoes, it's not the guards they need to worry about...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

zero19 wrote: »
    Super clear video, wouldn't wanna be in those retards shoes, it's not the guards they need to worry about...

You've said it (hopefully).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I'm sorry but how would bringing in college fees stop this sorta behaviour? If they are inclined to do it, they'll do it - college or no college.

Because if fees existed the people who attended university would, in the main, actually want to be there, as opposed to it being the 'done thing', which is how it is now. I'm sorry, but if you go out drinking 4 nights of the college week and get so drunk that you think harassing people in their homes at nighttime(Elderly or otherwise) is 'fun' your priorities as a student do not lie with seeking a further education; they lie elsewhere.
    dmcg90 wrote: »
    I'm a student, we are the future of Ireland. 95% of us aren't this bad. Most students do learn a bit of cop on in second year (it's the first years tht are an absolute joke).

A student damaged my car a few years ago, brand new at the time, playing football whilst drunk she kicked a flat leather ball arseways and made **** of the back of my car. Guards were brilliant about it at the time, didn't take any rubbish from her. Insisted that she pay the for the repair in full, or they would prosecute. She coughed up the €3000 and learned from her expensive mistake.

She wasn't a first year either. But the whole thing was a nice little wakeup call for her whcih alerted her to the fact that she was an adult and would do well to behave like one. There are a good deal of students out there who would do well to learn similar lessons. Unfortunately most of them will learn the hard way.

However I do believe that the first years are exceptionally bad this year, and that this is representative of the generational shift that is much talked about in the media these days; that these are the start of the new generation who have been very differently reared and disciplined to those now in their late twenties and upwards. The thinking is that this generation differentiate less between right and wrong and that therefore antisocial behaviour will increase.

I think it's an interesting and in many ways logical theory tbh.

Why do students get such a bad rep.

Because a small portion of them earn the reputation by doing foolish things like what I have outlined above.

And unfortunately mud sticks.

How many non-students got arrested and were doing stupid crap on St. Patricks Day and the Volvo ocean race? I'd say a good number posting in this thread. There's nearly as much trouble in one day of St Paddys Day than the whole of Rag Week. The majority of trouble in rag week is in Corrib/Gort, in town you'll only see the casualties and the odd "student" who's up for the night just to get finished.

I sincerely doubt that tbh.

And as I recall arrests over the VOR were very low in their number so that possibly isn't the best example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I'm a student, we are the future of Ireland.

and for as long as some of your fellow students carry that as a licence to do what the feck they like, the future isn't too rosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

Originally Posted by dmcg90 viewpost.gif
    I'm a student, we are the future of Ireland.

oh great ye are the future of ireland ha ha ha this country really is doomed the future is going to be scary with the likes of them muppets in it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Haven't trawled through the thread...

But, if you're trying to be such a hero posting this here, why not put it onto a CD/DVD and hand it in PERSONALLY to the SU offices of GMIT & NUIG? Ring/E-Mail ahead and arrange a meeting with the President of each SU, sit them down and play the video to them... then they'll go to the effort of taking screenshots (or do it yourself) and print them off, putting them on notices

Lads, the ONLY way in this country to get anything done is to do it youself. OP, if you feel so strongly, get up off your hole and do something about it (well done, you've taken the first step by posting it on an internet forum)

i don't think the SU gives a toss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

ScumLord wrote: »
    At the ripe old age of 29 I can tell you this kind of thing happened when I was of collage age and that allot of people over 40 in this country are the biggest assholes you'll ever meet. Some people my age and older where so "disciplined" it's messed up their heads and they just can't be social.

These where just stupid kids, the world is full of them, I've yet to meet an un-stupid kid now that I think of it. It looks like they'll be taught their lesson by the way things are going they'll have the whole of Galway shaming them soon enough which will be a great lesson to other kids this age.

students are students. it could be that galway is so compact that it is more noticeable. still pissing ior ****ting in a church door is something that wouldn't really have happened a decade ago, but is a commo occurence in galway.
    the college still promotes a sense of fecklessness and recklessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

I love how everyone jumped to the conclusion that they were students, I don't see what that has to do with it. How you can take 25,000 people in the city and say that these people belong to one cohesive section of society because we're students is beyond me.

Hold the individuals responsible and stop looking to place blame on 1/4 of the residents of the city.
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    the college still promotes a sense of fecklessness and recklessness.

How so? The SU makes a good attempt every year to stop the rag week ****e, and the festival idea is pretty much going to sort it.

If anyone around the college promotes recklessness it's the club/pub promoters standing outside offering people free entry and free drinks, and the college socs which revolve around going out on the piss after every meeting, alienating anyone who isn't into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i don't think the SU gives a toss

Plus they are not responsible for the behavior of every student.

And has been pointed out.. we have no idea if these people are attending college. I have no doubt that regardless of what they do during the day, be that college or work or the dole, they would be doing the same thing at night time because ultimately they are a little soft in the head..

op, edit and use the youtube tags please.. much easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Just heard the Sunday World is running a 2 page spread on this lot on Sunday and have apparently gotten copies of their student id mugshots off a not very secure server in the college where these are all stored . Naturally they have the names and home addresses too .

The papers reporters will also be doorstepping their grandparents for comments tomorrow :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Just heard the Sunday World is running a 2 page spread on this lot on Sunday and have apparently gotten copies of their student id mugshots off a not very secure server in the college where these are all stored . Naturally they have the names and home addresses too .

The papers reporters will also be doorstepping their grandparents for comments tomorrow :p

ha.They deserve that.No matter how drunk you are,there is no need to go around ringing peoples door bells deliberately waking them up.A drunken sing song is ok,if you are very drunk.As you dont really think about waking people up but this is just down right rude and disrespectful.Even if they werent elderly,it still is wrong!

To those people saying first years are very bad this year.Not all first years are like that.There are some dead on ones.Having said that,I do know what you mean.I was at a party one night in Corrib when some absolute pri.cks who were there started lashing beer bottles through windows.I also know someone who had a fire extuinguisher shoved through her window and it ended up destroying a lot of her things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

Punishment;

Weekend in a nursing home giving sponge baths and changing nappies! :D

NO mobile phones, internet, etc etc etc...

JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I've met Xiney - I don't blame the girl for being scared!

:p Kidding! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I agree they need a wake-up, but honestly it has f*ck all to do with their grandparents. I feel sorry for them having to deal with the stress and embarrassment that their little s*it relatives caused.
    While I believe that good parenting always helps, I don't believe in 'sins of the father' (or daughter or grandaughter cr*p) tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I really hope this is true, I think its perfect. Gardai have no influence but being named and shamed on a national tabloid does.

Its a pity the you-tube comments have descended into "Ill bate ya!" "Go on so!" etc. Though not surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 quantumpet

Have you read through the thread on you tube, this guy needs to be called to by the gards end of story!!! http://www.youtube.com/user/beatboxwardey#

Follow beatboxwardey link if it doesn't work! You know those quiet weird people that we all worry about that one day they will cause havoc, this is one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 quantumpet

And the dumbass doesnt even realise that his bebo profile can be followed from it! Mr Paul Ward

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

http://www.galwayuncovered.com/index.php/bars/59-gucomban an article an GalwayUncovered.com about it now, that would be my stance on the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

while I agree what they did was wrong, I've done as bad if not worse and I bet so have many others in this thread, stop the witchhunt. They will be punished in some way or another and rightly so but ir could happen to any of us after a few too many

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Attention lynchmob cyberstalkers: there are two 'beatbox' usernames on the youtube posts. First is 'wardy' which is the bebo link. Second is 'wardey' (the retaliation vid) and his youtube profile pic is different. Its the one off the first guy's bebo. There could be teh interwebz shenanigans goin on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

PomBear wrote: »
    while I agree what they did was wrong, I've done as bad if not worse and I bet so have many others in this thread, stop the witchhunt. They will be punished in some way or another and rightly so but ir could happen to any of us after a few too many

:confused::confused::confused:

I hardly think that running up a street repeatedly kicking the doors of random peoples houses is normal behaviour after a 'few too many'.

And personally, I've never done 'as bad if not worse'. I have respect for other people and their property, regardless of whether I'm drunk or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

You'd be a sorry man if ya did that to my elderly woman because i'd come out and kill women and everything. I'd come out and give her a flying kick out in front of a car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Shanley wrote: »
    an article an GalwayUncovered.com about it now, that would be my stance on the situation

Top marks for legibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I love how everyone jumped to the conclusion that they were students, I don't see what that has to do with it. How you can take 25,000 people in the city and say that these people belong to one cohesive section of society because we're students is beyond me.

Hold the individuals responsible and stop looking to place blame on 1/4 of the residents of the city.

How so? The SU makes a good attempt every year to stop the rag week ****e, and the festival idea is pretty much going to sort it.

If anyone around the college promotes recklessness it's the club/pub promoters standing outside offering people free entry and free drinks, and the college socs which revolve around going out on the piss after every meeting, alienating anyone who isn't into that.

I was in 1st year last year as a mature student. I remember one day just before "rag week" we had 3 lectures and this young wan was allowed to speak to the lecture hall before each lecture about an international event being planned in London to get 50 students from science degrees to meet. She spoke for about 10 seconds on the events re:conferences and then launched into a 15 min rant about how it would be a great piss up and all the fun going to the pub and meeting other international students to go on the piss!!!!:mad::eek::confused:
    I was mortified and really effing annoyed when the 3rd lecturer who didn't know that we had already heard her call to drink twice that morning reprimanded us for not letting her waffle ****e about getting tanked up in London for a 3rd time again that day..... Funnily enough, that was the same day that the "piss in a pot" campaign was being held throughout the college. How suprising!!!:rolleyes:
    I wish I had stood up and told her that this was a disgrace, that the only way to interest young future scientists in a wonderful event was to hype up the drink message.......SHAME ON THE COLLEGE FOR ALLOWING THIS TO HAPPEN!!!!!
    This year we have had to elect 5-6 class reps from various subjects and each one of them stood up and all they could talk about was the hoodies and class parties:mad: Not one word about liasing with the students union or lecturers to help with any problems, nothing, just going on the piss!!!!!

The college allows this behaviour to be promoted in the halls and on their noticeboards and even in the lecture rooms

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement