Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody recognise these pricks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I was in 1st year last year as a mature student. I remember one day just before "rag week" we had 3 lectures and this young wan was allowed to speak to the lecture hall before each lecture about an international event being planned in London to get 50 students from science degrees to meet. She spoke for about 10 seconds on the events re:conferences and then launched into a 15 min rant about how it would be a great piss up and all the fun going to the pub and meeting other international students to go on the piss!!!!:mad::eek::confused:
    I was mortified and really effing annoyed when the 3rd lecturer who didn't know that we had already heard her call to drink twice that morning reprimanded us for not letting her waffle ****e about getting tanked up in London for a 3rd time again that day..... Funnily enough, that was the same day that the "piss in a pot" campaign was being held throughout the college. How suprising!!!:rolleyes:
    I wish I had stood up and told her that this was a disgrace, that the only way to interest young future scientists in a wonderful event was to hype up the drink message.......SHAME ON THE COLLEGE FOR ALLOWING THIS TO HAPPEN!!!!!
    This year we have had to elect 5-6 class reps from various subjects and each one of them stood up and all they could talk about was the hoodies and class parties:mad: Not one word about liasing with the students union or lecturers to help with any problems, nothing, just going on the piss!!!!!

The college allows this behaviour to be promoted in the halls and on their noticeboards and even in the lecture rooms

I see nothing has changed then:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

I love how everyone assumes that they must be students. Could it not be a group of drunken work mates or could they be unemployed.

You know what, I think you're probably right. I don't know how anyone could come to the conclusion that the people in that video are students. For all we know they could be serious international investors who were in Galway city to wrap up a major business deal. Now that I think about it maybe all the problems during rag week last year were caused by the working professionals and the unemployed too. Maybe it was they who vandalised the city and caused major damage to loads of cars and left the city looking like an Irish Baghdad.

For god sake come off it, lets call a spade a spade. If you see a group of late teens/early twenties wearing that kind of clothing and walking along the street obviously pissed at 2.30am on a Thurdsay morning in Galway city I don't think you need Columbo on the case to figure out that they are studends. Duuhhh.
    While I accept that what they are doing is disgraceful this constant bashing of students and assuming that everyone negative act committed by the under 30s is done so by students. I was walking back that way a few weeks ago and a group of scumbags were doing pretty much the something that happens in the video. I have my doubts that any of them was a student.

Yes, the point is that the students in galway behave like scumbags. And if you have doubts that any of the people in that video are students I think you can forget about a career in the Garda detective section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I think if you were to look at which students are causing the problems, there would be very recognisable trends. First year students I'll bet would be the main culprits. They have just finished their Leaving Certs so they have no real responsibilty when they get into college; They are probably just turning or have just turned 18 and so they have full legal access to pubs, offies, college Bar etc. (and pubs/clubs shoving promotions down their throats).They have probably moved away from the watchful eye of mammy and daddy and I think they go crazy with the freedom. They will soon realise when they fail loads of exams that it's not all fun and games, it can't be.
    I have also noticed that the younger students (17 to early 20s) seem to be ultra-cocky. A bit of humility wouldn't go astray IMO.
    From my own experience of college, as I progressed towards the final years of my course, the time available for getting hammered declined significantly. I couldn't do anything for Rag Week in 4th Year (not that I wanted to do much anyway, but a few pints is always good) or for the 1st year of my Masters, but that's just my own experience.

Because if fees existed the people who attended university would, in the main, actually want to be there, as opposed to it being the 'done thing', which is how it is now. I'm sorry, but if you go out drinking 4 nights of the college week and get so drunk that you think harassing people in their homes at nighttime(Elderly or otherwise) is 'fun' your priorities as a student do not lie with seeking a further education; they lie elsewhere.

Wow. So many sweeping generalities there. First off; I'm a student. I don't drink. Numerous of my student friends don't drink. A lot of those student friends that drink don't make loud noises.

Secondly - my parents had 4 children. They put all of us through college; 2 of my siblings are now scientists and the other has a masters in journalism. Had the college fees been brought in, my parents would not have been able to put us through college. So, we wouldn't be in the positions we are now.

I'm not saying that there aren't students out there that are idiots. There are. It is the unfortunate thing about it. They paint all of us with a bad brush. Yet there are those of us who are in college because they want to make something with their lives. How many families wont be able to do this? How many people won't be able to go into college if fees are brought in?

If you want to tackle the problem; go after the pubs. Get them to stop doing student nights, cheap beers. Get clubs to stop aiming at students because they know students drink loads. Stop off licenses from selling cheap booze, selling lots of it in one go - yes, limit the amount a person can buy. Not by introducing college fees and ruining hundreds, thousands, millions of future educations, future careers, future lives.
    A student damaged my car a few years ago, brand new at the time, playing football whilst drunk she kicked a flat leather ball arseways and made **** of the back of my car. Guards were brilliant about it at the time, didn't take any rubbish from her. Insisted that she pay the for the repair in full, or they would prosecute. She coughed up the €3000 and learned from her expensive mistake.

This does suck - but normal working people are equally as likely to cause this amount of damage as students are.
    However I do believe that the first years are exceptionally bad this year, and that this is representative of the generational shift that is much talked about in the media these days; that these are the start of the new generation who have been very differently reared and disciplined to those now in their late twenties and upwards. The thinking is that this generation differentiate less between right and wrong and that therefore antisocial behaviour will increase.

I think it's an interesting and in many ways logical theory tbh.

The first years may be bad, but bringing in fees is not the answer. Like I outlined earlier, tackle the problem at the source- they get drunk, cause trouble, so go after who gets them drunk. Colleges need to clamp down on anything that is seen as anti-social behaviour, which they don't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I watched a group of students get off a bus at 4am, think the driver kicked them off, they started to throw bottles all over the road, covering it in glass, hurtling abuse at passing cars and then ripped out the shrubs that are in the middle of the road. Some started to moon passing cars.

Gardai were called and attended but seemed to do nothing. And these were not first years.

Fine have a good time but respect other peoples property

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Wow. So many sweeping generalities there. First off; I'm a student. I don't drink. Numerous of my student friends don't drink. A lot of those student friends that drink don't make loud noises.

I'm not saying that there aren't students out there that are idiots. There are. It is the unfortunate thing about it. They paint all of us with a bad brush. Yet there are those of us who are in college because they want to make something with their lives. How many families wont be able to do this? How many people won't be able to go into college if fees are brought in?

If you read my post properly you would find that I made more or less the same points that you make.

And several families of four children and more managed to put all of their children thru college when fees existed in this country.

And I still stand by the fact that students whose sole interest in college is heading out and getting drunk 4/5nights a week shouldn't be there(or at least should pay to be there), and are a waste of government money(€1 in €4 of which is borrowed at the moment). If not abolish fees, they should at least make a particular grade mandatory to qualify for free fees, to at least weed out the wasters from the dedicated ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

It's covered in this week's City Tribune. Huge photos of the thugs concerned are reproduced in the paper.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/9181-elderly-terrorised-late-night-disturbances

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I was in 1st year last year as a mature student. I remember one day just before "rag week" we had 3 lectures and this young wan was allowed to speak to the lecture hall before each lecture about an international event being planned in London to get 50 students from science degrees to meet. She spoke for about 10 seconds on the events re:conferences and then launched into a 15 min rant about how it would be a great piss up and all the fun going to the pub and meeting other international students to go on the piss!!!!:mad::eek::confused:
    I was mortified and really effing annoyed when the 3rd lecturer who didn't know that we had already heard her call to drink twice that morning reprimanded us for not letting her waffle ****e about getting tanked up in London for a 3rd time again that day..... Funnily enough, that was the same day that the "piss in a pot" campaign was being held throughout the college. How suprising!!!:rolleyes:
    I wish I had stood up and told her that this was a disgrace, that the only way to interest young future scientists in a wonderful event was to hype up the drink message.......SHAME ON THE COLLEGE FOR ALLOWING THIS TO HAPPEN!!!!!
    This year we have had to elect 5-6 class reps from various subjects and each one of them stood up and all they could talk about was the hoodies and class parties:mad: Not one word about liasing with the students union or lecturers to help with any problems, nothing, just going on the piss!!!!!

The college allows this behaviour to be promoted in the halls and on their noticeboards and even in the lecture rooms

hear, hear. let the students get pissed, but they don't need college approval and support. the clubs and societies are the same i.e we are the club that drink the most etc.
    are lectures cancelled for first years during rag week?

It's covered in this week's City Tribune. Huge photos of the thugs concerned are reproduced in the paper.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/9181-elderly-terrorised-late-night-disturbances

proper order, although the local newspapers aren't enough. this kind of thing happens frequently. only when it appears in the national newspapers will Galway city council take action.
    people know who these gurriers are. they deserve to be named and shamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Bring back fees.

• Advertisement

thecivvie wrote: »
    I watched a group of students get off a bus at 4am, think the driver kicked them off, they started to throw bottles all over the road, covering it in glass, hurtling abuse at passing cars and then ripped out the shrubs that are in the middle of the road. Some started to moon passing cars.

Gardai were called and attended but seemed to do nothing. And these were not first years.

Fine have a good time but respect other peoples property

the guards can do nothing but give them a telling off. in other countries the police would knock some sense into them and nobody say anything about it, but not here. respect to the gurrier. tough titty for the victim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

F*cking w*nkers... May they get hit by a car...!

TJJP wrote: »
    Bring back fees.

then they might have to do something drastic like get a part time job.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    then they might have to do something drastic like get a part time job.

You mean there are jobs out there, readily available, enough to support the entire..no majority, of the student population of Galway? well then, what is all this fuss regarding a recession all about!

all sarcasm above

Mactard wrote: »
    You mean there are jobs out there, readily available, enough to support the entire..no majority, of the student population of Galway? well then, what is all this fuss regarding a recession all about!

all sarcasm above

i too studied, in the day before the celtic tiger when students did things like work at supermacs. i do believe there are casual jobs out there. it would however entail doing some work (worst case scenario with johnny foreigner), spending less time drinking and maybe even learning a little responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

It does seem a pity that the grandma in question is, through her taxes, paying educational fees on behalf of these reprobates. Perhaps if they paid their own way, they might act in a more responsible manner and appreciate their free education. Mind you, 600 greens said no; not the first time they suckered Galway. Clean water anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

typical cowardly behavior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

galwaybob wrote: »
    Fcuk me, is this the future of Ireland :rolleyes:

Its a pity they didn't knock on my door, I would have gladly introduced 2 or 3 of them to the business end of a baseball bat. spas

I think you'll find either end of a baseball bat coming @ you is a business end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

The whole off-topic chat about fees and their potential for stopping anti-social behaviour is rubbish.

I was in England at uni, after fees & loans were introduced. There was still plenty of bad behaviour from students.

Now... back on topic....

How the hell do kids get to be 17 or 18, without learning the basics of respect for other people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Welcome to a world of lack of discipline and attention seekers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

I think the whole idea of a generational shift is really interesting, and I would be convinced by it.

I think there is a serious change in the behaviour of students even comparing to this time last year

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

FFS, What a bunch of cranks you all are. I got bored reading the thread half way through. Yes, they're assholes. Yes they were seen and stopped by the guards, Yes it went to the papers and they'll be in court and yes I'd feel sorry for anyone getting woken up, particularly elderly people living alone who might feel threatened but please stop with the student bashing. There's 20,000 students in Galway, a couple of times a year a handful of them act the prick but that's no reason to slate the whole lot of them. If it wasn't for the students in this city there would be less renters for the landlords out there, less pints to pull for the publicans, less food to serve for the restaurateurs and waitrons and no doubt in my mind, way less fun in this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

OMG I just watched it again and think I recognise one of them. If it's him he's a really nice lad and I wouldn't expect this of him. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

so is it in the sunday world ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Kazooie wrote: »
    OMG I just watched it again and think I recognise one of them. If it's him he's a really nice lad and I wouldn't expect this of him. :(
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJRocket

dafunk wrote: »
    FFS, What a bunch of cranks you all are. I got bored reading the thread half way through. Yes, they're assholes. Yes they were seen and stopped by the guards, Yes it went to the papers and they'll be in court and yes I'd feel sorry for anyone getting woken up, particularly elderly people living alone who might feel threatened but please stop with the student bashing. There's 20,000 students in Galway, a couple of times a year a handful of them act the prick but that's no reason to slate the whole lot of them. If it wasn't for the students in this city there would be less renters for the landlords out there, less pints to pull for the publicans, less food to serve for the restaurateurs and waitrons and no doubt in my mind, way less fun in this city.

Completely agree, was a student for a number of years in Galway and its the minority for rag weeks, freshers week etc that ruin it for everyone else, who just go out have a good night and go home without disgracing themselves. You can sense the complete difference in Galway when the students go home in the summer and when they return they bring the bit of vibrancy back with them.
    except of course the likes of the these idiots on the vid...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

green123 wrote: »
    so is it in the sunday world ?

?

You know what, I think you're probably right. I don't know how anyone could come to the conclusion that the people in that video are students. For all we know they could be serious international investors who were in Galway city to wrap up a major business deal. Now that I think about it maybe all the problems during rag week last year were caused by the working professionals and the unemployed too. Maybe it was they who vandalised the city and caused major damage to loads of cars and left the city looking like an Irish Baghdad.

For all we know they could be a group of 20 somthing wokers on a night out. Not every 18-25 year old vandal in Galway is a student. Rag week does have a habit of getting out of hand but there are an awful lot of non students involved in that too. A small group of twats go out of their way to be prats and paint all us students in a bad light resulting in every act of vadalising being blamed on the student popualtion.
    For god sake come off it, lets call a spade a spade. If you see a group of late teens/early twenties wearing that kind of clothing and walking along the street obviously pissed at 2.30am on a Thurdsay morning in Galway city I don't think you need Columbo on the case to figure out that they are studends. Duuhhh.

I didn't realise that students now had an exclusive clothing line. I assumed that anyone could wear that type of clothes be they studens or unemployed or even employed. There are as many of the unemplyed masses drinking away their dole at 2am on a Thursday as there are students.
    Yes, the point is that the students in galway behave like scumbags. And if you have doubts that any of the people in that video are students I think you can forget about a career in the Garda detective section.

A small, small minority of students act like scumbags the rest of us are generally well behaved and when we go out we have a few pints before stumbling home all the way attempting to down a curry cheese chips. I'm not assuming that they are students as thats a very dangerous thing to do, how many false convictions have been handed down simply because someone assumed someone was guilty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

read on the galway college forums about some guy talking about setting stuff on fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

It wasn't in the sunday paper.

Setting what on fire irishvamp90?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement