Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pes 2010 Definitive Thread

Options
  • 14-10-2009 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a Fifa 10 overload on this board.....not a criticism but lets just keep the bickering out of this thread.

Can we start a thread for Pes 2010, not a comparison thread as it is completely boring but more a place where we can discuss new features, wish lists, latest news, reviews.

The press embargo ends tomorrow so hopefully we will be getting comprehensive reviews over the next couple of days.

Is there any new stuff floating around about the game....even minor details? I hear that during the game your substitutes sitting on the bench will be recognisable. I know this has no bearing on gameplay etc but I love the little touches as well and that is what I have been looking for from Konami along with the major overhaul issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,536 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

For me, there is a lack of new things in the game, things i really wanted.

1. Wanted BaL to get new features, such as training mini-games (like in older PES titles) which would aid the stats progression. That really is just one out of a load of things I would like to have seen improved in BaL but apparently it has had basically no work done to it at all. Hopefully the overall A.I improvements in the game will make their way to BaL though - which would improve the game massively - fed up with the strikers shooting from anywhere and the defenders just lumping it out of play.
    2. Really would have liked an offline multiplayer competition mode.

There are other things I feel are missing.

However, I am still really looking forward to PES10. The A.I and graphics really do look to have got an impressive overhaul. the game looks a lot better, and seems a lot smarter. I suppose they wanted to get the gameplay right and moving in the right direction before looking at more side issues such as BaL.

Hopefully PES10 will prove to be a positive and solid foundation for Konami to push on from for next year, with (hopefully) the addition of lots more modes and animations for PES11.

Looking forward to reading the reviews tomorrow, most of what I have read so far has been very positive - such as PSM3, the Guardian Blog (which gave FIFA a glowing review, and has since said PES10 is right up there with it).

My biggest wish though, is that the response time issue from the PES10 demo is sorted. wrecked my head in the demo.

C'mon Gamesnash, get me my game early!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I read a few previews on the guardian and eurogamer. Both articles are very positive, it seems like this year is a big step in the right direction. All the reviews should strt coming in tomorrow :) Eurogamer are posting theirs at 10am tomorrow, i really do hope they are good reviews.... I'm getting it either way

My biggest wish though, is that the response time issue from the PES10 demo is sorted. wrecked my head in the demo.

Apparently that is fixed :D

Edit: Heres some recent vids from the release version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQbbGQSEeac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXm1ub7VDhg

I have to say they do look alot smoother than the Demo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Anton Chigurh

Lots of news and a few surprises allegedly on pesfan tonight at 10pm, 11pm & 12am. Personally I can't wait for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ih8northsiders

i wont be getting pes this year, pes 11 definetly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Lots of news and a few surprises allegedly on pesfan tonight at 10pm, 11pm & 12am. Personally I can't wait for the game.

*intrigued.

Fist part of the review from Pesfan. I cant wait now :D

http://www.pesfan.com/news/8530135/First-Online-PES-2010-Review---PESFan.com-Exclusive/
    First Online PES 2010 Review - PESFan.com Exclusive
    Well, it feels as though it's been a long wait. Over the past year there’s been build-up a plenty, with more preview code than we could shake a stick at, rumours, hearsay, and lots of promises made by Konami.

So what has a year of waiting given us? Well, I’m not going to beat about the bush and tease you with the whys and why nots before giving my opinion - I’ll simply say this. I think PES 2010 provides a very fun, very rewarding football experience, and one that I’d recommend to almost anybody.

But there’s so much more to it than just that. Delve deep and you discover the most polished and absorbing PES in years, one that’s without question the best we’ve seen appear on the next generation of consoles.

Load up 2010 for the first time and you’ll immediately notice the improvements in presentation, from the soundtrack to the player faces. We’ve all seen them by now, and while I’m not someone who typically cares that much about visuals in a game, there’s no doubting that Konami have put an extreme amount of time and care into making PES 2010, are you ready for it? The best looking football game we’ve seen. Ever.

The game moves along at a nice pace, partly due to the new turning animations, but partly by design. I can tell you that the pace is slower than that of PES 2009, and slightly slower again in comparison to the 2010 demo we got our hands on last month, so make of that what you will. I'm not personally certain what pace is perfect for a football game, on the one hand a slower speed is seen as more realistic, but in that you risk losing part of the fun. For now, I think 2010 has struck a nice balance.

Response time has also been greatly improved since the demo version, the dreaded “input lag” some users reported nowhere to be seen. The only time delay between pushing the button and the player making the movement comes from animations being given time to complete, but timing being the key to success is always something I've enjoyed about PES.

360-degree control is a feature that's been touted by some as revolutionary, but how has it made it to the final version? Well, players still run in what is essentially sixteen-directions-plus-change when running at pace, the limited options leading to the ability to sometimes predict the way a computer will respond in given situations. Playing with friends is different of course, as slowing the ball down to a walking pace speed gives higher ability to weave in and out to what approaches 360-degrees, but from personal experience the AI rarely decides to take this option.

The players themselves behave in a far more realistic and weighty manner than previously seen, hulking defenders such as John Terry and Carles Puyol able to bully attackers off the ball with ease. The trick, happily, lies in passing around good defenders. No players seem too overpowered, and it isn’t possible to fly through the whole team with someone like Lionel Messi or Fernando Torres. In fact, none of the cover box stars are particularly god like – a far cry from the years of Adriano scoring 50-yarders two or three times a match.

Master League has been one of the staples of the series for years, and it returns better than ever. As mentioned in our Master League play-through, the mode now features a host of upgrades including youth teams, sponsorship deals, staff, real currency and Europa League inclusion. It all results in a much greater immersive experience, and I'm certain that even fans of the mode who've drifted away over the years will be tempted back with the promise of all the juicy new options.

It should be said that the Master League improvements seem to have come at a price, however, as Become A Legend mode is practically the same venture as in PES 2009. It’s perhaps understandable in a year where Konami have focussed huge efforts on fixing several key issues, the important online experience to name but one.

I’ve previously said that the new penalty system doesn’t work properly, but after some extensive trial and error sessions I can now reveal how unfounded those complaints were. My only problem was that I didn’t understand how to effectively take them, but I’ve since honed my skills and now think they’re a darn sight better over previous games. I do have some issues with the way PES 2010 describes penalty taking in-game, it’s confusing and lacks real instruction, but once you understand the mechanics they become far more satisfying than the lotteries of yesteryear.

While I’ve mentioned the improved soundtrack, now featuring artists such as The Chemical Brothers and DJ Shadow, other areas of audio haven’t been similarly tweaked. The commentary by Jon Champion and Mark Lawrenson is past its sell-by-date and the chanting heard from the crowds isn’t the best. It’s a nice touch that the crowd now appropriately responds to action on the pitch, such as fouls and other appeals, but here's hoping Konami focus more efforts on the area as a whole next year.

There's a lot to be seen and tried in PES 2010, a lot to be seen and tried that we haven't really encountered before. Ultimately, it boils down to this. PES 2010 is a better package than 2009, 2008, or even PES6, and is an excellent return to form for the series. But you don’t have to take our word for all this, we decided to let two of the UK’s best PES players have the final word on 2010.

“One of the things that's been missing from the last few versions of PES is the feeling when playing for the first time that, although the game feels different, there’s a lot to learn and it’ll grow on you over time. That wasn’t there in PES 2008 or 2009 - it was too easy from the outset and offered nothing new to the table. For us, playing PES 2010 brought that feeling back, something we’ve not felt since playing PES6 for the first time.

The tactics, defending, shooting and passing are all improved, and while manual keeper being assigned to such awkward controls is frustrating and the goalkeeper AI can be questioned, it all adds up to the fact that the soul of PES has well and truly returned to the game.

The dribbling has been really improved, it’s great to know the ridiculous ‘running past the entire team’ ways have gone, and we think the slider tactics are fantastic. You really notice the difference after using them a while, and It’s something that will really make the following year a great one for PES Rankings competitions.

All in all, PES 2010 seems like a big advancement in the series, and we can’t wait to re-learn all that old magic when it’s released on the 23rd.

PES is back.”

This review was done using the Xbox 360 version of the game. For a Playstation 3 specific review, WENB will be covering that soon.

It should also be noted that some areas of the game have been deliberately omitted from this review. A look into other features will be made available in the coming days on PESFan.

At midnight we'll be giving you our thoughts on what you all want to know about - the online play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i have our review sitting in front of me right now
    4.5 Stars and Click Recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Helix wrote: »
    i have our review sitting in front of me right now
    4.5 Stars and Click Recommended

Glad to hear.

Pre-ordered this for €35 last night from the hut.

Looks like the Online aspect has been fixed :)

http://www.pesfan.com/news/8530468/PES-2010-Online-Demo-Review/
    PES 2010 Online Demo Review
    The online aspect of PES 2010 is one that's been under intense scrutiny from all areas. And for good reason, as it's often been seen as a sort of "missing link" in the evolution of the series.

Konami have been making clear over the past few months how determined they are to finally bring PES 2010 up to the online standards it should be at. Previous games have suffered from warping, severe lag, and a host of other problems that have plagued the enjoyment of anyone wanting some some simple multiplayer fun.

But aside from a few videos pertaining to be taken from the Tokyo Games Show showing lag-free online, little evidence has been seen to support Konami's claims of advancement.

Well, as some of you may have been aware, we've recently been partaking in a specifically built online stress-test, in the form of a tweaked version of the PES 2010 demo released last month. Registrations are now closed for entry to this test, but for the many many of you who won't get a chance to see for yourself prior to the game being released, hopefully this small review will provide a good indication as to what performance you can expect in the full game.

Well, quite simply, the results are fantastic. I've personally played many games on both Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the test against people from all around the world, and not once have I suffered anything other than the input problems associated with the old demo itself. Just to make that clear, there were NO issues as a result of lag, as far as I could tell, or at least nothing noticeably bad as it affected my enjoyment. Several times I played against users with red or yellow connections, but nothing impeded my green connection at all, whereas previously a bad connection on one end resulted in both users sharing lag.

As mentioned, despite playing against users from several different countries, the results were the same across the board. Not even playing in 2 v 2 matches changed the experience at all, this really is the most lag-free PES I've ever played, and if the servers hold up properly, we should be in for a treat.

At the end of the day though, the fact that Konami are going to these lengths is in itself a good sign, and bodes well for the full roll-out to all users when the game is officially released on the 23rd October.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

not entirely true

we experienced lag about 20% of the time, but it was only minor stuff... definitely not game killing

*edit* have to edit this to say that the percentage is in fact, nowhere near as high now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

If the online is lag free then im buying this game. FIFA 10 online is broke and I want an online football game. Plus PES had always been more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

The reviews above from PESfan are encouraging but they are hardly the most impartial of reviewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The reviews above from PESfan are encouraging but they are hardly the most impartial of reviewers.

Exactly. Eurogamer just gave it 7/10

hmm so 7/10 from Euro gamer, although they do say it is a big improvement over last year, which i am happy about. They say Fifa10 is still better, fair enough, I've tried Fifa tho, its not for me. Although one thing the reviews I've read so far agree on is that PES still plays a great game of football :) after all thats what i want it for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Can someone please post the reviews here? Like the PESfan ones above?

At work so can't access the sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Some distinctly average reviews coming out and it is clear from a review stance Fifa 10 is the clear winner.

Eurogamer - 7/10

3dJuegos - 8/10

Meristation - 7.5/10

IGN UK - 8.7/10

However importantly none of these reviews can comprehensively report on the online performance. I think if that has been fixed most fans will be dead happy, so in that respect the reviews are ok I suppose.

For me a big influence is my friends preference between Pes 10 and Fifa 10 as I would love the ability of playing them online. More news reviews will be flowing in during the day I'm sure but it appears that most PES fans should be reasonably satisified.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Abit surprised by that 7/10 by Eurogamer given the noises they were making in the previews. They have been known to make some howlers when it comes to review scores so Ill wait til afew heavy hitters come out with scores i think.

I tried FIFA and just didnt really like it. Things break down very easily in the final third and you seem to have less control and less ability to dictate the pace of the game, like you do in PES. Im hoping for a slower paced PES than 09. The one thing Im really happy about is the integration of the Champions Lge and the Europa Lge with the Master league. Finally, proper night time European matches, and licensed at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Forget your fancy graphics,official lisences,the little extras etc...all I want is the old pes of old we all know and love pes1,2,3,4,5,6..If pes 2010 plays as good as these games on the field then i'm happy!

http://www.videogameszone.de/aid,697406/PES-2010-Spielergesichter-und-Werte-von-Manchester-United-und-Manchester-City/Special/?menu=browser&mode=article&article_id=697406&entity_id=230796,230797&image_id=1207737&page=7&order=

United and City player faces and stats.

Some of them are great (faces) some are shocking.

Owen(something just not right), Obertan and Kuszczak are particularly bad.

Welbeck is SPOT FREAKING ON. The faces of the well know players are excellent in general. Haven't bothered looking through the City side.

• Advertisement

CVG score it 7.8

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225503

Ineffective through-balls! Surely not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

the reviews are good tbf. you have to take the reviewers into account and the fact they also gave NFS: shift 9 and 10/10.

when they say things like "EA Canada dedicating its craft to creating the most life-like game possible", it shows what they know about real soccer. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I tried FIFA and just didnt really like it. Things break down very easily in the final third and you seem to have less control and less ability to dictate the pace of the game, like you do in PES

Do what i do and turn all assists off for total control of whats going on [im referring to fifa10 here] sorry to mention it in this thread :)

18853.jpg

Eurogamer's review feels like IGN's review of PES08 (9.2 and a crap load of in game IGN advertising).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Eurogamer's review feels like IGN's review of PES08 (9.2 and a crap load of in game IGN advertising).

That's rubbish though. They have a similar extensive Risen advertising campaign on their site, with a link on the main bar to a discussion on the game and gave it 4/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Dcully wrote: »
    Do what i do and turn all assists off for total control of whats going on [im referring to fifa10 here] sorry to mention it in this thread :)

maybe so but you still get 500 1v1's in a game and easy free kicks in the opposition half. not what i would call realistic at least.

i know it was pesfan but what they say about terry and other strong players is something fifa always lacks. in pes players move and respond like they would in real life.

Yeah i tried the assists of aswell. Felt even worse I thought. Ah maybe after 10 + years of PES, im institutionalised!

Good review here, with some specifics on the Master League. The ML was the mode that made PES compulsive play all year round for me. Since it seems its seen alot of work and is now worth going back to, is reason enough for me to stick with PES.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/pes_2010/review.html

hmmm, most of the reviews i am reading are quite good. Everyone is saying it is better than last years one, yet most reviews are giving it a lower score?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

The online testing has been live for the last day or so for people that received a code. The vast majority of reports that I have seen are reporting that the online is lag free bar the very occasional blip, which happens in all games.

I know it could all be very different when the game is on the shelves and thousands are looking to get on at the same time but it sounds promising that Konami have finally got it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I am glad that the ML has recevied an overhaul. It was always for me the main reason i looked forward to buying PES.

Now it seems that Konami have gone and pushed the boat out and have upgraded it and made it better. I alwats thought that become a legend had potential as a mode but it was god awful in PES 2009 as no player seemed to be able to play to there stats.

As long as it has improved that is all I can ask. Cant wait.

Advertisement