Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Trade

Options
  • 14-10-2009 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

It has been reported of the three major firearms dealers in the country, two have had to layoff staff or put them on a half day week.
    Throughout the country firearms dealers are on the verge of going to the wall. This situation is a direct result of no firearms having been licensed over recent months. It has been romoured less than half of all new applications have yet to be submitted, the results when they are, will be even more delays to an already stretched system.
    It is one thing to drastically tightening up on the firearms possessions, another to completely strangulate the sport for no good reason.:mad:

Comments

In fairness, its not the rest of the country isn't going through a recession.

Its more that people have less money and there are now a lot less jobs then a two month break in gun sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

In fairness, its not the rest of the country isn't going through a recession.

Its more that people have less money and there are now a lot less jobs then a two month break in gun sales.

There is definitely less money around I'm no fan of dealers as most of them are a cross between a hyena and a shark, of the 8 I know personally they have told me that the business has been dead since August, One fella who has been in the trade for nearly 50 years told me that he had gone days without selling anything, this guy has a full time shop 10 to 6 or 7 all week, he siad he never seen it as bad.
    He told me that lads aren't spending, as they don't know if they will still have their guns at christmas due to licence fears.
    But then most of the firearms dealers have some kind of second income,shop or career (sniper):D
    I don't think any of them will starve, maybe the goverment will bale them out.or What about we start a collection for them, Save the Shark Campaign:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i wouldn't be surprisd if it was all part of AHerns plans , he was ranting about a "firearms culture" what ever that is and i am sure part of that is reducing the number of dealers too . as for government bail out ,forget about it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I believe it is mostly Government created, but also the point about the recession and having less disposable income is valid. The major point though is the confusion about licenses. No one will commit money or chop and change their guns if they're unsure. We have a lot of information online that's just simply not being read by the vast majority of shooters so we have some insight (correct one I hope). I think a lot of other folks will be adopting a wait and see approach, securing what they have first before making any other moves.

the whole security requirements thing too , it penalizes you the more firearms you have i had 6 , i didn't want to go down the road of monitored alarms etc , just another bill to be paid , and so have decided to reduce the amount of firearms i have . shotgunners are even worse off as the second and subsequent licences used to be a fiver or something and are now €80 ! .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Anyone who collects antiques is screwed aswell, you used to be able to get each gun for €6, now at €80 a pop owning a collection is nigh on impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Just to go on a slight tangent for a moment, consider this:

If for instance I or any of you have a existing permit refused for whatever reason, we will be required to surrender the offending firearm to a registered dealer.

I can't imagine any dealer buying it from you, but will only act as a middle man, so its going to sit gathering dust for god knows how long due to the current economic climate and you might not ever manage a sale especially if it happens to be a centerfire pistol.

just something to chew on.

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Just to go on a slight tangent for a moment, consider this:

If for instance I or any of you have a existing permit refused for whatever reason, we will be required to surrender the offending firearm to a registered dealer.

I can't imagine any dealer buying it from you, but will only act as a middle man, so its going to sit gathering dust for god knows how long due to the current economic climate and you might not ever manage a sale especially if it happens to be a centerfire pistol.

just something to chew on.

i have a centrefire pistol that i know in my heart i am not going to get a licence for , what do i do with it ? the dealers have said they won't accept them into stock , so i'll have to hand it in for destruction , thats € 1000 down the drain , i can't wait for the general election , fianna failure must want to become extinct the way they have been carrying on the past few years .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I mentioned over two weeks ago about the forthcoming plight of the gun dealers.
    2 dealers, one with €205,000 of "sold" stock the other with €65,000 that cannot be given to people until licences are issued. Has stopped taking orders and trade ins. Both have also refused to take anymore guns for storage. One lad said if he doesn't start shifting some guns soon he will be forced to make redundencies and if things still don't improve he is looking at a very bleak future possibly including closure.

Say what you like about dealers but the lads i know only work for the company. The owners have hardware, butchers, builders/providers shops and run the gun shops from these premises. The lads working there face the same future as the rest of us. Lay offs etc.

You have good points there johngalway and rowa. I find people were putting deposits of guns a few months ago hoping the new system would be up and running sooner than now, and even if they get their licences in the next few weeks its been so long and with money the way it is those same people that paid the deposits could find themselves in a position where they simply cannot afford the balance of the price of the gun. I also spoke of this a few weeks ago if people looked for refunds and got them:
    Any deposits on dealer stock would need to be returned to the buyer so this would be the top of a slippery slope. Refunds, lack of sales, staff pay, utility bills and no income from sales would all lead to closures...........

If the dealers refused to return deposits that would lead to people not returning as customers, and again they arrive at the same point, lack of sales, no money, bills to pay, lay offs, closures. Times are looking bleak for all concerned.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

this was done by ahern off the cuff , he personally didn't like firearms so lets decimate the "american firearms culture" , he didn't give a moments thought to the gun dealers ,gunsmiths , gamekeepers , dog trainers etc that may lose there jobs or businesses , and all done without evidence that a "gun culture" existed
    i find the whole thing sick and it was done while some of our "representitives" stayed very quiet through out .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't think anyone in power gives a flying **** about centrefire pistols anyway, the reduction in gun ownership numbers is better publicity than the few votes they stand to lose; was anyone going to vote favourably anyway? given the amount of $hite in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Cheap bargain pistols for anyone in the know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Whats to stop you exporting CF pistols to another EU country? You can put them on Egun.de and see what happens.
    Better to get FA than a scrapped gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Whatever publicity they have gained or how much D'Ahernia thinks this has glorified him,it has been drowned out in all the other monumental Fuk ups this shower of incompetants has belaboured us with.Not that this was fooling ther man in the street either as a crime measure or "US gun culture prevention" measure either.
    As a matter of fact I would say with old folks having to fortify themselves in the property from rampant thugs,or having to get illegal weapons IE MACE to defend themselves.DAhernias stalling and blocking the proposed "castle doctrine" bill on self defence in the home,as it needs "mature reflection and rational debate in the Dail".:rolleyes::rolleyes:Has done him no favours at all with the man in the street.
    [Notice thats not required for the firearms legislation,and th e consuquences and waste of Garda time,resources and taxpayers money in trying to get this unnecessary shambles sorted out... My local lads have said that it looks like they will be at this for the rest of the year,maybe they might be able to get out and do some other important police work,like patrolling,etc once a week... I hope the opposition raises this in the Dail]
    It just shows him up for what he is;an incompetant, sanctimonious tryannical power hungry hyprocrite!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

You cant even exchange your old firearm with a new one under the new system. I had the local FAO on to tell me that no exchange untill the 3 year licences are issued. Not under the old system and not under the new system.

They will licence the gun first under the 3 year, then do an exchange:mad:

Many shooters (me included) is in this situation. FAO says its coming down from on high. Dealer I know has had to hand back deposits etc. So basically you re new now then change afterwards, it's silly as a substitution could be done on FCA1 etc even the gardai are up in arms.

I actually do feel sorry for them as I have a good relationship with lads I purchase from, they offer good service at reasonable prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

You cant even exchange your old firearm with a new one under the new system. I had the local FAO on to tell me that no exchange untill the 3 year licences are issued. Not under the old system and not under the new system.

Many shooters (me included) is in this situation. FAO says its coming down from on high. Dealer I know has had to hand back deposits etc. So basically you re new now then change afterwards, it's silly as a substitution could be done on FCA1 etc even the gardai are up in arms.

I actually do feel sorry for them as I have a good relationship with lads I purchase from, they offer good service at reasonable prices.

when I was sorting out my reappliocations this time i wanted to have things go forward the way i wanted them for the next three years, I had 2 shotguns and 2 rifles and wanted to go forward with only one shotgun and 3 rifles as the highest percentage of my shooting time iis now spent with
    rifleshooting, I left in my semi auto extrema for sale and arranged the purchase of a savage 12 f/tr in 308, my FO said this wouldnt be a problem,
    I filled in 4 reapplications for my original guns including the shotgun I laeft in and a new application for my 308, I also filled in a form to cancel the licence on the shotgun, all the guns were entered onto the system, the shotgun cert was cancelled and i recieved my notifications stating that the applications for the four certs i wanted were being considered, the shotgun i left in is on the system but not in my name , but in the dealers name..when the time comes to pay it will only be for the four guns i want ,
    the three rifles and the shotgun;)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I left in my semi auto extrema for sale and arranged the purchase of a savage 12 f/tr in 308

Jammy git, i'd love one of those.:D

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Jammy git, i'd love one of those.:D

the one I left in is a minter;)

........... I left in my semi auto extrema for sale and arranged the purchase of a savage 12 f/tr in 308, my FO said this wouldnt be a problem,...........

Just left a deposit on one (Savage FTR) today but as my applications are already on the system i have to wait for my new licenses to come through. I was left under the impression that substitutions were not being accepted at the moment. Suppose i can just get my new licence and do a FREE (:D) like for like change over.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

what sort of money is the savage if you don't mind me asking, or if your wife is watching ?

• Advertisement

ezridax wrote: »
    Just left a deposit on one (Savage FTR) today but as my applications are already on the system i have to wait for my new licenses to come through. I was left under the impression that substitutions were not being accepted at the moment. Suppose i can just get my new licence and do a FREE (:D) like for like change over.

I hope that they shoot like its said they do:)

They are running at €1600 ( more or less depending on where you buy). I have seen F-Class lads in the midlands buying them. These are lads intending to use them for 1000+ yds shooting. If they are using them they can't be that bad. If you need more proof check out this.

Pretty good for an out of the box gun eh.

I substituted...

I used the cancellation form and then also applied for a new rifle... seemed to work ok..

I was told substitutions are available and can be done but not for the "immediate future". They want to get the system up and running then substitutions will be accepted/processed. If ye are getting them done now well done and best of luck. Its too late for me as my applications are in a while and i only picked out the rifle today but i will exchange when my licence comes through. You can substitute now though, no need to wait till the first three years are up. Its not feasible to delay substitutions as alot of new gun purchases involve a trade and therefore a substitution. To hold/delay or stop this for 3 years would bring gun dealers and the firearms trade to a halt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bang

I substituted...

I used the cancellation form and then also applied for a new rifle... seemed to work ok..

I did the same , sergeant didn't seem too bothered and he is usually a stickler,new gun purchased and old one traded in.
    hope it all pans out ok as I had the new gun imported...

Advertisement