Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarm?

Options
  • 14-10-2009 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently considering installing a house alarm. We are living in the sticks (South East), and I am away from home a lot. The downstairs part of the house has 5 external rooms, 20 small windows, front door, back door, 2 french patio doors, and upstairs has 1 external door to a balcony off one bedroom which is in use every night.

I know absolutely nothing about house alarms (that will change!). I think what I need is some sort of wireless system, as house whilst quite new has not been wired for an alarm.

Also, if possible to have alarm GSM monitored, that would be a requirement. Is it possible to have cost of monitoring included in cost of alarm, i.e. no monthly annual fee?

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially with regard to cost.

MK

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hello A123, Welcome to boards.
    There is a lot od windows / doors there. To cover them all would be expensive .
    If you can get it to 10-12 devices then a good wireless system (SigNet) would be aound €1800 installed.
    GSM dailler would be about €350 (+ pre pay or bill pay on the SIM)
    If you are looking for central station monitoring (with Garda response) then a monthly or annual charge will apply. (Around €300 PA for monitoring & maintenance contract)
    If you need any more info let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 A321skip

Hi Koolkid,
    Many thanks for all that gen. I did get a quote from Eircom today and it was quite expensive. Their quote did include for 20 inertia sensors for all the windows, inertia/contact shocks on all doors, 2 SWC/CON Motion detectors, GSM, and a Concord 48z panel. I was just wondering, when you say "10-12 devices" do you mean motion detectors and/or window-door sensors or something else? Apologies for my ignorance!
    The Eircom quote came in at about €2,400 - that's with a 25% discount if I buy within 2 days! Does that sound reasonable to you (price-wise)?
    Also do all these sensors have to be individually wired - the thoughts of a load of wires on view is head wrecking for de Queen!
    Finally, I've been told it is possible to get a keyring fob that will turn off alarm from outside. Would you recommend one and do they work with Eircom?

Many thanks for your time and effort.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

€2400 Is a good price for that number of devices. But Eircom will claw the rest back in monitoring & call outs over the next few years. Their service & monitoring only covers 2 calls per year.
    When I say 10-12 devices i mean a combination of sensor( with combined contact) and/or PiRs.
    Don't know about the Concord panel. But the signet can use pace key fobs or wireless push button remotes to arm /disarm .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 A321skip

Koolkid,
    Many thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

A321skip wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I'm currently considering installing a house alarm. We are living in the sticks (South East), and I am away from home a lot. The downstairs part of the house has 5 external rooms, 20 small windows, front door, back door, 2 french patio doors, and upstairs has 1 external door to a balcony off one bedroom which is in use every night.

I know absolutely nothing about house alarms (that will change!). I think what I need is some sort of wireless system, as house whilst quite new has not been wired for an alarm.

Also, if possible to have alarm GSM monitored, that would be a requirement. Is it possible to have cost of monitoring included in cost of alarm, i.e. no monthly annual fee?

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially with regard to cost.

MK

Hi A321skip,

That is a good price for the alarm with the amount of windows and doors you have to be covered plus your getting a gsm unit fitted too. I would rather be covering the windows than installing motion detectors in the house to cut down on the expense as someone has to get in to the house to activate the alarm that way.

The Concord is also a good alarm panel to be getting installed. The only thing i would say is your missing a external bell on the system. If you did decide to move away from eircom in the future at lease you would have a live bell with the flashing lights outside rather than the dummy they install..

They also have a keyfob that can go on this system, it is used for turning on and off your alarm, has a panic built in plus if you decided to go for a lamp module for turning on the lights in the house at certain times it will do this for you or you can dial into the panel and turn them on or off as you wish..

Regards,

Altor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 screwlox

Theres a monitoring company down there in wexford who can monitor any eircom alarm at half the price!......:eek:

screwlox wrote: »
    Theres a monitoring company down there in wexford who can monitor any eircom alarm at half the price!......:eek:

Agree totally with you screwlox, in these times you would think they would be trying to be competitive with other monitoring stations but they are one of the most expensive out there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 screwlox

Phonewatch think their panels are invincible and no-one else can take their customers....

HELLO???:eek:

They transmit 'Extended SIA', which can be accepted by ANY central station in Ireland.
    Plus the Simon (and Concorde) installation manuals can be downloaded off the web (if you know where to look!!;)

Ok, you have to default the panel and learn the sensors back in, but which takes all but 20mins....!

Phonewatch think their panels are invincible and no-one else can take their customers....

HELLO???:eek:

They transmit 'Extended SIA', which can be accepted by ANY central station in Ireland.
    Plus the Simon (and Concorde) installation manuals can be downloaded off the web (if you know where to look!!;)

Ok, you have to default the panel and learn the sensors back in, but which takes all but 20mins....!

The simon is straight forward but with the concord it is not as easy. Easy for me as i know how to do both without the manual..

With regards the monitoring they will tell there customers only they can do this and service there alarms. I tend to disagree with them on both..

20 minutes screwlox, must be your first day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pcooney

Any chance of getting PM's of different alarm monitoring companies in South east

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mod note: Thread moved from electrical

pcooney wrote: »
    Any chance of getting PM's of different alarm monitoring companies in South east

They are all in this register
    http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/04E02B0A8F97847E80257143002C82CB/$File/Security%20Guard%20(Monitoring%20Centre)%20Licence%20Holders%20(24-05-2013).pdf

Advertisement