Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a Raccoon o.O

Options
  • 14-10-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

This morning I heard 2 dogs barking like mad outside in the fields, went to investigate and found it to be a raccoon they were barking at.

The dogs buggered off when they saw me, but the raccoon stood it's ground and eventually approached me.

Noticed it had a blue collar on, and seeing how friendly it was I'm guessing it's someones' pet [to state the obvious]. It followed me back and I led it to the stables and it's kept there currently.

Raccoons are a non-native species here in Ireland, and requires an exotic pets license of sorts. That being said, I don't know of anyone around the area with such a license - I've driven about asking if anyone knows of the owner and came out with nothing. I've called the ISPCA and said they'll pick it up, as it should be microchipped if it were a legitimate owner owning it with the right license.

Just curious, what would happen to it should the owner not be found?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Pls post a pic!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

What happens to it depends very much on the local SPCA. Post a pic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

What happens to it depends very much on the local SPCA.

Pretty much that ^^
    They'd probably take it in if they have room, and if no owner is found, they may try to rehome it to a sanctuary and how long it stays with the SPCA is up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Maybe bring it to the vet and get them to scan for a chip - if it is chipped then it's just a case of looking the chip up online and finding out who the owner is. If you keep him you'll have to name him Rocky! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They can be pretty good at escaping, whoever owns him should be looking for him and notified the local rescues and vets etc. so ask around at vets as well as pet shops and rescues in the surrounding area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

where is the picture!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

the owner should be able to be traced, if not it'll most likely be rehomed!no liecences are needed here for exotics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

If you do not find the owner - I would happily re-home the raccoon, I keep coatis which are a distant cousin & have been researching keeping these creatures for a while (raccoons that is)

In fact my avatar picture is Clyde my male coati enjoying a juicy grape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If the owner can't be found perhaps someplace like Dublin Zoo will take it.

• Advertisement

FAYESY wrote: »
    If you do not find the owner - I would happily re-home the raccoon, I keep coatis which are a distant cousin & have been researching keeping these creatures for a while (raccoons that is)

In fact my avatar picture is Clyde my male coati enjoying a juicy grape.
    How on earth do you do it? I can almost keep it together with a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

How on earth do you do it? I can almost keep it together with a dog.

Work from home - love them have 3 other adults who help - yes its hard work but I love my critters lots :D Especially love the exotics - love the research involved & meeting other owners.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

FAYESY wrote: »
    Work from home - love them have 3 other adults who help - yes its hard work but I love my critters lots :D Especially love the exotics - love the research involved & meeting other owners.

Those coatis are amazing looking animals.
    Fayesy check yer pm`s while we`re on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I saw coati's for the first time on tuesday. One of the guys in kinsealy pet shop, malahide has 2 of them. They are so beautiful. He let me pet them. So interesting and playful. Beautiful animals.
    I love exotic animals and particularly rodents. They have chinese hamsters and are getting african striped mice in too. :) They also have a pair of beautiful squirrels- can't remember the exact breed name but they originate in rain forests and have really striking colouring. Worth a visit, especially if you would like to see coaties. :)

Any update on the racoon? Keep us posted if you can,I'm wondering how this will end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Lost and Found Pets Ireland can accommodate 'found Racoon' listings. Had some close encounters with them myself in Texas - really nice animals, very smart but cheeky with it :D

Advertisement