Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV Meet - Saturday 17th October

• 14-10-2009 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

There has been some talk of this meet in the Ultra Casual meet thread so just so that everyone else knows there is a plan to meet up this Saturday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Im there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'm a maybe. Loads of stuff going on, moving house etc so might not make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Will be there.

It's been mentioned before but I'd like to put out the idea for adding a competitive aspect to the casuals.

Thinking about it I was thinking we could run something along these lines:
    When we have a casual with eight people then we run a double elim with those eight people. 4 points for the winner, 3 for second, 2 for third and 1 for fourth. Simple enough.
    Now the problem we normally have is that most systems are unfair to people who can only make occasionally. To counteract this your rating would be based on the your accumulated points and divided by the number of times you have been in a tournament.
    This would mean that 4 would be the highest score and then you work down from.

It would be fun on the day and it would help with making any future tournaments and whatnot as after a couple of events we would have a decent seeding indicator. Over time it would people to see any improvement in their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Well, Azza and I had an idea a while ago of alternating meets between tournaments and casuals so I believe the last meet was a tournament? or was it casuals? I know it was called the Ultra Casual meet but seemed to be a lot of talk about having a tournament. Fair enough if it was just casuals and just go with a tournament but some prior organisation would need to happen tbh (taking pre-registrations to know how many people will be going and whether group stages would be needed if the number there is more/less than whats needed for double elimination)

The last meet-up was a casual but it was supposed to be big one so it would be worthwhile for people to travel.

We had been using one thread for the casuals and it was devolving into a bit of mess and it was tough getting a decent number to come along. A-Trak decided that a new thread would be the best way to build interest again.

The last tournament was about a month ago and since then my understanding is that they'll be running on the fifth week. There won't be one this month with Gaelcon and Lanparty on.

My idea wasn't so much for proper tournaments (entry fees/organistation). This would be on the day of the casuals,when there is eight people. When we have a casual with eight people we throw the names on a sheet and play it out.
    It could be run through the casual thread if we are going to make a new one for each casual. When you say you're coming you say if your interested in a "ranbat". The first eight people make up that days ranbat. If we get enough people then we could run more then one on the day. If there is only one or two extra then it's still casuals and an eight man tourney would only take about a half hour of the 4/5 hour session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm not entirely sure of how this'll work, but there's no harm in trying.
    Should be there.

I'm up for any of the two but on a personal note, I would prefer casuals as its more likely than before that I will think on the bus home "If I had just...". I await the day when I can win an SFIV tournament but that'll probably be in about 20 years time when Super Street Fighter 6 Alpha Zero X Gamma Turbo comes out and then I'll own Daigo and have my cyborg girlfriend, whom I've built as a perfect replica of Chun Li as the girl of my dreams, who'll threaten to delete me from her hard drive unless I spend more time with her.
    Its a tough choice, either spend my life becoming an SF master or live a normal one. Tough choice, certainly a tough choice... :P

I'm hoping to bring an old face back to the character roster this time out ;)

Jim wrote: »
    I'm a maybe. Loads of stuff going on, moving house etc so might not make it.
    On this note, when moving, don't let your TV and xbox be the first thing you pack away.

*twiddles thumbs*....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Just from an outsider:
    I don't think ye should add a competitive side to the casuals - kind of detracts from what they seem to be about. At least people get to play around with matchups, combos and try out characters within a casual setup. Adding points and eliminations turns it into a tournament whether ye want to or not.

They are scheduled for every five weeks...but to be the opposite of what was said earlier - there are TWO this week rather than none; it's just that the organisation of said tournaments is by a different group. This 8 man double-elimination "casual tournament" WILL take time and effort. Adding tournament to the name or concept may put people off as the idea of a few games, a social side and a few beers may have been exactly what they were looking for...

If ye want to mix up the casuals perhaps rent a couple of consoles, stick all the names in a hat and draw random matchups. Play best-of-three. Everyone gets games, people can mess around, etc. If ye have to...IF ye have to...make a leaderboard of 'most wins' or most consecutive wins.

Just my $0.02 but it doesn't affect me as I am the outsider :)

🤪

Fair points. As I say just throwing it out there as an idea.

Anyway the way things are looking we won't have eight people this saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'll probably be there.

Will be finished up in DCU at about eleven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Since this is the last meetup before lanparty & gealcon i think everyone should attend & get some real PvP there the way it will be at the cons, one screen, 1v1, no lag ^^.

that said, i'll be there, but wont be going to gealcon or lanparty, as on the weekend of the 23rd-25th, i'll be locked in my room playing borderlands haha.

see you sat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Xinkai wrote: »
    Since this is the last meetup before lanparty & gealcon i think everyone should attend & get some real PvP there the way it will be at the cons, one screen, 1v1, no lag ^^.

that said, i'll be there, but wont be going to gealcon or lanparty, as on the weekend of the 23rd-25th, i'll be locked in my room playing borderlands haha.

see you sat!

Best to use the PS3s then as the Sony tellies seem far better than the other ones they use for their 360s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I'll be there on saturday. Representing the top :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I'm gonna be there for a couple of hours early on Saturday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Should be there. I've missed the last few so hopefully I wont have a busy weekend. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

il bet there to fight my nemesis, high tier whore, terry

Placebo wrote: »
    il be there to fight my nemesis, high tier whore, terry

lets hope you don't chicken off after an hour like usual :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

animaX wrote: »
    lets hope you don't chicken off after an hour like usual :P

OHHHHH ****

GET HYPE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

LETS GO JUSTIN !!!!!!!!!!

i dont chicken, im too hung over, always
    girls>streetfighter

actually girls+sf

• Advertisement

Assuming it's the usual two o'clock type time, I may be a bit late but I will be there.

Ah crap! I can't make it today. I know it was originally my idea which makes it all the more ironic but not feeling too well and I'd be traveling for 8 hours there and back. I'll bring a nastier Ryu next time :)

Placebo wrote: »
    LETS GO JUSTIN !!!!!!!!!!

Oh god. I think I was shouting this in the bar last night. I always get excited before a meet ><

Atm I'm still a maybe. Everything with the apartment is sorted, but I am very hungover. It would just be easy Cammy digs, and she doesn't deserve that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Ah go on Jim, nothing nurofen plus can't fix! Will be in for 2 myself.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Ah go on Jim, nothing nurofen plus can't fix! Will be in for 2 myself.
    If I had a Tolka dinner in me I'd be good to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

As per usual of late, I can't make it in after all. :( Enjoy fellows.

Oh and Dreddy, good games yesterday. We should play more often. Gief is a real tester and great fun to play.

Yeah dude ggs, sorry about switching from Gief but there's only so much punishment I can take. :pac: 90% of games we play are so close though, it's class. Usually goes to 15% health on the final round (and then you whomp me with Sim's flaccid dangling limbs yet again)!

edit: Anyone coming in today, since we won't have a huge amount of people, remember to bring your SF4 copies! And if you're the first in, try and grab the xbox/ps3 beside the other respective consoles.

I should be in myself at around half 2

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Can't see myself getting in. I'd have to go round Gatelygeddon. Sorry boys.

• Advertisement

Gatelygate?

Gonna be a bit late, looks like around half 2 I'll be in!

Advertisement