Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCI

• 14-10-2009 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi, All.

I finished my LC in june and got 325 points which i was happy enough with. next year, as i am working for a year in order to pay for fees i want to do something involving business.

i dont have enough to do busisness in TCD or UCD ect...

I was looking at the NCI website and i am thinking about going there but i have yet to meet anyone who is in NCI.

Does anyone have any info on the college? is it good? respected degrees? ect...

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Hi :)
    I'm in NCI in first year doing the level 8 course in Business Management.
    Is that the course you were looking at?

I took a year out as well and I did the assocoaite student scheme from Jan - May and i found it really good.
    The Associate Student Scheme is basicllay where you pick one or two modules (i did 2) from the course and do them in the evenings with the people doing part time courses.
    If you pass the exams and decide to do the full time course then you are exempt from doing these modules:D
    helps you see what some of the lecturers are like and to get to know the layout of the college etc, I found it to be really helpful:)

As regard to what the lecturers are like out of 5 I have this year I find 4 to be really good, the other knows what she is talking about but doesnt communicate it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

i was thinking of doing just business.
    what is the crowd like there? is the college big ect...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Better suited to the NCI Forum.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

the college isnt big at all.very small which is helpful.

the lecturers are very good but as dragonfly said one of them finds it quite hard to communicate.

are there good facilities there? ive read the prospectus but they always make colleges look good.

how depended would a business student be on IT? or is it more of a pen and paper thing...

over all what are college hours like? is there often gaps of 2-4 hours between classes? how much per week?

cheers guys!!

• Advertisement

the facilities are good fo such as small college.

you will be taught how to use moodle where you will get all of your notes.IT support are helpful

the timetable can vary depending on tutorials.you would usually get a 2 hour break one of the days and you should get an hour break between every class.i have a 4 hour break on mondays because i dont do the tutorials in between.you should get a late start as well one of the days

do you know if college will be over by 4.00 every day? as i usualy start work at 5.00

it would all depend on your timetable.i finish at 5pm three times a week (mon,tues and thurs).if i were you i would wait until you get your timetable and show your employer.i'm sure you could sort something out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

We are finished at 2 on a wed and 3 on a thur but im sure the timetable will change next year!
    The college is really small in comparison to some of the other colleges say UL for example. I picked that because I went there for like a week in 08 and found it way too big:P

The staff in NCI are all really helpful as well :)

I'd recommend going to the open day where you can see the college and meet some students and lectureres :)
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

NCI is more like a big family then a college...everyone knows everyone to see and talk to (even if you dont know there name) as for the time table...every year and class are different...it depends on lectures and classes...out of five days I'm (ment to be in) for 4...finished at 5 on a tues, 4 on a mon and thurs and 2 on a fri!!! If you do the associate student scheme that was talked about above you may even have an extra day off!!!

This semester due to exemptions I'm only in for 3 hours on a mon, 9 to 5 on a tues with a 3hour break, and 11 to 4 on a thurs with an hour break!!! i have 12hours in total a week!!!

the college is really centeral...all knew facilities...loads of computer labs...really well stocked library and really good staff and support structure if you need it!!!

As for is it a good col...as far as i know the college that awards our degrees is Trinity (some one may be able to confirm that for me)

I'm doing accounting and the BA hons can get me exempt from loads of professional accounting exams in the future so I think its really good!!!

:D:D:D hope all goes well for you what ever you decide to do!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

Hahaha Aoife, I know which particular lecturer you're talking about :D

I really like NCI, although the size of the library and the number of computers is a bit ridiculous for the number of students. Trying to even find a place to sit down and study is hard sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

NCI is more like a big family then a college...everyone knows everyone to see and talk to (even if you dont know there name) as for the time table...every year and class are different...it depends on lectures and classes...out of five days I'm (ment to be in) for 4...finished at 5 on a tues, 4 on a mon and thurs and 2 on a fri!!! If you do the associate student scheme that was talked about above you may even have an extra day off!!!

This semester due to exemptions I'm only in for 3 hours on a mon, 9 to 5 on a tues with a 3hour break, and 11 to 4 on a thurs with an hour break!!! i have 12hours in total a week!!!

the college is really centeral...all knew facilities...loads of computer labs...really well stocked library and really good staff and support structure if you need it!!!

As for is it a good col...as far as i know the college that awards our degrees is Trinity (some one may be able to confirm that for me)

I'm doing accounting and the BA hons can get me exempt from loads of professional accounting exams in the future so I think its really good!!!

:D:D:D hope all goes well for you what ever you decide to do!!! :D:D:D

Your Degree is awarded by HETAC and has nothing to do with trinity.Some certs and diploma would be awarded by NCI itself but most are awarded by HETAC like most private colleges. When you get your degree it wont have an nci logo on it it will have a hetac logo and say nci as the place you studied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

jd83 wrote: »
    Your Degree is awarded by HETAC and has nothing to do with trinity.Some certs and diploma would be awarded by NCI itself but most are awarded by HETAC like most private colleges. When you get your degree it wont have an nci logo on it it will have a hetac logo and say nci as the place you studied.

thanks for clearing that up...that was what i'd been told!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I luv 2 ski - I did that course too. Graduated 2 years ago last October. The exemptions are really good - means you don't have to do the first set of the ICAI exams (CAP 1) and you go straight into the second set.

Pretty much agree with you on everything you said about the college. I loved my time there coz you got to know people because it wasn't huge.

You are right in thinking that Trinity used to be involved with the college as NCI wasn't a HETAC accredited college so they went through Trinity. That changed though a few years back coz they were fully accredited when I was there.

Found the lecturers were good for the most part though there was one who I just learned nothing from & it showed in professional exams!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

jd83 wrote: »

and The Institutes of technology also award HETAC degrees.

Advertisement