Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andy Lee v Affif Belghecham

Options
  • 14-10-2009 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Andy fights the French and EU champion the University Sports Arena in Limerick on November 14th.

Now have never even heard of Belghecham but his record looks decent and since 2003 he has only lost to highly rated Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam.

Anyone know anything about him? anyone going?

http://img203. .us/img203/5416/andyleenov09.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He will be a decent test for Andy and is ranked above Andy in the European rankings.

You are right that his only loss is to Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam, which is an interesting one as Andy also lost to Hassan before he joined the pro ranks.

Belghecham is a technical fighter and is not a big hitter, but he is tidy with good skills, and a decent chin.

Should be a good fight though, but one in which Andy should stop him late on, maybe about the eight or ninth round imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

How much are tickets for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

i cant remember what i payed for the last two but remember thinking afterwards they were great value for money

think limericks jamie power will be on the card as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

i cant remember what i payed for the last two but remember thinking afterwards they were great value for money

think limericks jamie power will be on the card as well...

Details of the undercard for the University Sports Arena on November 14th will be announced shortly. Tickets for the Yanjing Fight Night priced from €40 will go on sale from Ticketmaster (phone 0818 719 300 or visit ticketmaster.ie) and all usual outlets from 9am tomorrow (Wednesday, October 14th).

Home comforts for Lee against reigning European Union and French Champion

It will ceretainly be more entertaining than the Ireland football game they had on at Thomond recently.

Here is a link to the tickmaster page.

its just been confirmed that this is definately live on RTE and they will be showing the Ireland match at the stadium as well.

I will let know you know who is on the undercard when it is confirmed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Has it not been comfirmed that jamie is fighting too?

ive my ticket got either way..looking forward to this...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Still thinking about whether or not to pick up a ticket for this

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Pretty sure Jamie Power will be fighting on the undercard!
    Should be a very tough test for Andy Lee or has loocked sluggish of late heres hoping he is not caught!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

If Andy Lee doesn't beat this guy comfortably he might as well hang up his gloves. Belghecham has fought nobody worth mentioning. Think Andy's career is in need of a major boost, he also needs to start fighting quality fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

in fairness andy aint good enough to fight anyone with quality. he bleeds too easily and isnt smart enough with his covering

• Advertisement

MrFireBox wrote: »
    If Andy Lee doesn't beat this guy comfortably he might as well hang up his gloves. Belghecham has fought nobody worth mentioning. Think Andy's career is in need of a major boost, he also needs to start fighting quality fighters.

That is a bit unfair on Andy. Belghecham is a decent fighter, nowhere near top class, but decent nonetheless.

Technically Belghecham is good and he is durable. He has fought to a higher standard than Andy has so far, so it is a good test to see if Andy is better than a European standard fighter.

Belghecham has only one loss to his name and that was against the world ranked Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam, and it was a points loss against a good heavy hitting fighter.

Andy may not have mixed it up with many good fighters, imho the best he has been in with so far was Willie Gibbs, but to expect him to just walk through a guy who has fought and beaten better fighers than what Andy has fought and beaten so far is unrealistic, not to mention the fact that Belghecham has a really good chin.

Andy may fall short in his quest for a world title or he may not, but he has been a great role model for local kids, and he has been a great mouth piece for promoting Limerick wherever he goes.

No matter where the kid gets interviewed, be it in Germany, in Detroit, in Dublin or in Limerick, he always bigs up Limerick even though he does not have to.

Plus when he comes back from Detroit to his parents house in Castleconnell, he often drops in at his old boxing club and never is shy of giving his time to the young lads at the club.

Kess73 wrote: »
    That is a bit unfair on Andy. Belghecham is a decent fighter, nowhere near top class, but decent nonetheless.

Technically Belghecham is good and he is durable. He has fought to a higher standard than Andy has so far, so it is a good test to see if Andy is better than a European standard fighter.

Belghecham has only one loss to his name and that was against the world ranked Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam, and it was a points loss against a good heavy hitting fighter.

Andy may not have mixed it up with many good fighters, imho the best he has been in with so far was Willie Gibbs, but to expect him to just walk through a guy who has fought and beaten better fighers than what Andy has fought and beaten so far is unrealistic, not to mention the fact that Belghecham has a really good chin.

Andy may fall short in his quest for a world title or he may not, but he has been a great role model for local kids, and he has been a great mouth piece for promoting Limerick wherever he goes.

No matter where the kid gets interviewed, be it in Germany, in Detroit, in Dublin or in Limerick, he always bigs up Limerick even though he does not have to.

Plus when he comes back from Detroit to his parents house in Castleconnell, he often drops in at his old boxing club and never is shy of giving his time to the young lads at the club.

Nobody is questioning the fact that Andy is a nice guy or that he is a great ambassador for Limerick.

Belghecham has in fact lost 3 times, once to a fighter making his debut, once to a fighter having his second fight and once to N'Jikam. In the N'Jikam fight one judge gave Belghecham 0 rounds, one gave him 1 round, and the other judge gave him 2 rounds.

The only thing Belghecham has going for him is his chin, he has never been stopped. His knockout percentage is only 17.39% whilst Andy's is 70%.

Andy has great talent and one of the best trainers in the world, he needs to step up and test himself against someone decent.

How about a clash with Matthew Macklin in the National Stadium?

MrFireBox wrote: »
    Nobody is questioning the fact that Andy is a nice guy or that he is a great ambassador for Limerick.

Belghecham has in fact lost 3 times, once to a fighter making his debut, once to a fighter having his second fight and once to N'Jikam. In the N'Jikam fight one judge gave Belghecham 0 rounds, one gave him 1 round, and the other judge gave him 2 rounds.

The only thing Belghecham has going for him is his chin, he has never been stopped. His knockout percentage is only 17.39% whilst Andy's is 70%.

Andy has great talent and one of the best trainers in the world, he needs to step up and test himself against someone decent.

How about a clash with Matthew Macklin in the National Stadium?

You are spot on with the number of losses. I had meant to sayhe had one shared loss with Andy, like I said in my first post in this thread, but I had my brain in neutral and my fingers in gear when typing. :D

Againt Macklin would be a great fight to have, or against Duddy.

Funnily enough both the managers of Macklin and Duddy confirmed over the last few months that Andy Lee's management did approach them regarding Andy fighting against one of them in Thomond Park or Dublin.

Lee versus Duddy at Thomond Park? Just imagine the noise levels, and given Duddy's style of fighting it would sure as hell be entertaining.

Macklin would be a better test than Duddy in my eyes though. I think he is a better all round boxer than Duddy, and he and Andy should have to meet at some time to get a clear view of how good both of them are, or how good one of them is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

i like andy and i like his style of fighting. as i stated above i dont think he is good enough for a world title. but does anyone really think that thomond park would sell out for an andy lee fight??? maybe if it was for a title but even his world class trainer has given up on him. i think he needs a few more of these level fights. he needs to establish his name among these boys and then get a proper promoter to get him his shot at the title

Paulegend wrote: »
    i like andy and i like his style of fighting. as i stated above i dont think he is good enough for a world title. but does anyone really think that thomond park would sell out for an andy lee fight??? maybe if it was for a title but even his world class trainer has given up on him. i think he needs a few more of these level fights. he needs to establish his name among these boys and then get a proper promoter to get him his shot at the title

I reckon a fight against John Duddy or Matthew Macklin would draw big numbers to Thomond Park. Duddy in particular tends to draw good sized crowds and people travel distance to watch him fight.

A fight between Andy and either of those two may not fill out Thomond park, but I would guess that it could draw 10k to 15k.

Andy can sell thousands of tickets to see him fight against Belghecham, a fighter that non boxing fans would not have heard of and that Irish boxing fans would not have much interest in.

Plus Andy versus Matthew Macklin would have a Limerick versus Tipperary angle to it that could be played up by the promoters.

Or a London versus Birmingham if you want to include their places of birth.

I heard something about them approaching Duddy alright and that he wasn't too keen on fighting Andy. Forgot about Thomond Park :eek: it would be fantastic to see a fight being staged here (Other than Quinny when he misbehaves :D) but I think it would have to be a world title fight to be economically viable. I don't think Manny Steward has abandoned Andy yet either!
    I'll be in U.L. Saturday cheering him on. Lets hope he wins and pushes on from here to hopefully bring a world title to Limerick at some stage in the not so distant future.

Limerick boxers fight on Lee undercard

Biggest night ever for Limerick boxing in history in my opinion.

Advertisement