Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installed Windows 7 on new drive but not getting dual boot option for Vista

• 14-10-2009 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I went out and bought a new drive yesterday and installed Windows 7 on it, my current OS is Vista ultimate 32bit, but after the install the system boots straight up into Windows 7, I went into msconfig on 7 but the vista installation isn't seen any idea how I can get windows boot screen to work? Is there an app I can install to point it to the vista install?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

easybcd sounds like the app for the job
    http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

tman wrote: »
    easybcd sounds like the app for the job
    http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Don't think it's going to work as if I have all drives plugged in it boots straight into Windows 7 and it doesn't see the Vista drive ( I actually have 2 installs of Vista on 2 seperate harddrives) so I think the Windows 7 boot manager works differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

You might need to repair the boot loader.

1) Boot to the Win 7 .iso DVD you burned and run it

2) When you get to the install screen, in the lower left corner there will be an option to repair, rather than install - choose it.

3) It should come back and say there was an issue, and do you want to fix it - Select Yes, and your computer should restart.

That should do it.

rockal wrote: »
    You might need to repair the boot loader.

1) Boot to the Win 7 .iso DVD you burned and run it

2) When you get to the install screen, in the lower left corner there will be an option to repair, rather than install - choose it.

3) It should come back and say there was an issue, and do you want to fix it - Select Yes, and your computer should restart.

That should do it.

Thanks for the info tried it but it didn't work system boots straight into Windows 7, only way to boot into Vista is plug out drive with Windows 7 on it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Don't think it's going to work as if I have all drives plugged in it boots straight into Windows 7 and it doesn't see the Vista drive ( I actually have 2 installs of Vista on 2 seperate harddrives) so I think the Windows 7 boot manager works differently

How do you mean it doesn't even see the Vista drive?
    If you right click on my computer, go to manage and then disk management, does the drive show up there?

• Advertisement

tman wrote: »
    How do you mean it doesn't even see the Vista drive?
    If you right click on my computer, go to manage and then disk management, does the drive show up there?

Yes it sees the drives but not as valid OS drives

Ok guys sorted the issue found a guide at the following site to dual boot Vista and Windows 7 and it worked fine now have the option to boot to Vista :)

http://www.kombitz.com/2009/01/09/how-to-add-vista-to-windows-7-boot-manager/

Advertisement