Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunmore

Options
  • 14-10-2009 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭

heard its a serious place for going out? anyone actually live there?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't, but I know a lot of people who do and they hate the place.
    As for going out, I think the 14-16 years old age group thinks it's a serious place for going out.

I stand to be corrected though, I'm sticking to Tuam for going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Heavily populated urban areas are "serious places for going out".
    Draw your own conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Probably the most narrow minded little backwater in County Galway. No, not a good place for going out. As for living there? I would sooner have my toenails burned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I've only driven through it afew times, and I can still remember the will to live draining from me with each passing yard.
    A truly depressing little town, visually at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭steamboat

heard its a serious place for going out? anyone actually live there?:)

I don’t live in Dunmore, but I remember not so long ago (in the 90’s) Dunmore used to be ‘THE’ place for going out in Galway county…. Busses would travel from miles around to bring crowds to PJ’s nightclub. There was even a second nightclub across the road from PJ’s that catered for the overspill (was it called the Ritz or something like that…?). Nowadays it’s much quieter though. PJ’s has changed owners a few times, and although the nightclub is still going it’s a much tamer affair. Still, plenty of nice pubs there. The Piper and Fahy’s are popular spots for the younger crowds and there are some good traditional style pubs too (Glynns and the Dunmore Arms are two I can remember, but there are a few others). One issue with going out in Dunmore these days though is getting transport home… apparently the Taxi service can be pretty poor so if you don’t have a lift you could be in for a long wait.
    Remember, forums are great resource for finding out about just about anything… the trick is to filter out the noise. For example, driving through a town a couple of times is hardly enough to offer an informed opinion about the place and the people living in it. The best thing you can do is go there and experience it for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 pauliewallie200

big b wrote: »
    I've only driven through it afew times, and I can still remember the will to live draining from me with each passing yard.
    A truly depressing little town, visually at least.

:confused:What's that got to do with the OP's question?
    Very sad?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The piper, the Dunmore arms and the four seasons are closed. They used to be some of the best pubs there. Pjs is a ****hole and has been for a long time it's over priced and there's constantly fights breaking out to the point the bouncers take no **** from anyone and will beat the crap out of anyone that steps out of line. The pubs that are left are pretty decent but overall Dunmore is a bit of a ****hole. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to go there when Galway is only up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Are Beanz On Toast not from Dunmore. That alone makes it an amazing place.:D
    http://www.myspace.com/beanzontoastgalwaypunk

Even they are crap. Punk my arse. It is just an excuse for roaring into a microphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭DenMan

I have a friend from college who is from there, she hates it. I went through it on my way to Cork in late August and think it is a beautiful little village, real picturesque. I'm not from the country so I love it. :) Passed through a good few bars alright so plenty of options open to people.

• Advertisement

steamboat wrote: »
    Remember, forums are great resource for finding out about just about anything… the trick is to filter out the noise. For example, driving through a town a couple of times is hardly enough to offer an informed opinion about the place and the people living in it. The best thing you can do is go there and experience it for yourself.

:confused:What's that got to do with the OP's question?
    Very sad?

Ok, first off, I didn't make any comment at all about the people living there.
    What I did do was explain honestly that my impression of the town, based on limited exposure, was not a positive one.
    I'm sure I'm not the only person who's ever driven through a town, or an area of a large town, and thought "I wouldn't like to spend much time here". Whether right or wrong, it's a personal opinion & I think we're still allowed to have them. That's kinda why we have boards, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

What I did do was explain honestly that my impression of the town, based on limited exposure, was not a positive one.
    I'm sure I'm not the only person who's ever driven through a town, or an area of a large town, and thought "I wouldn't like to spend much time here". Whether right or wrong, it's a personal opinion & I think we're still allowed to have them. That's kinda why we have boards, right?[/quote]

Agree with earlier contributor............how can you assess the social scene of a town by driving through it "a few times"!
    The OP's question was about "going out" in Dunmore....I'm sure if the OP wanted people's first impressions of the town, then he/she would have asked for it.

"Limited exposure":D

ok...........take back what i said earlier.........Dunmore is probably the wildest place that i have ever been. its crazed. i was out there last night and a feww of us woke up dead. unreal buzz man.

bouncy job in the middle of the town for smoking rollies on. boys spinnin' and cruisin and batin' and drinkin', fightin, .............................shmokin.........everywhere in the town. stop. unreal.

unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

[i was out there last night and a feww of us woke up dead. unreal buzz man.

bouncy job in the middle of the town for smoking rollies on. boys spinnin' and cruisin and batin' and drinkin', fightin, .............................shmokin.........everywhere in the town. stop. unreal.

Were you the commedian that used to be on the Muppet Show?:D

rco2000 wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm not the only person who's ever driven through a town, or an area of a large town, and thought "I wouldn't like to spend much time here". Whether right or wrong, it's a personal opinion & I think we're still allowed to have them. That's kinda why we have boards, right?

Agree with earlier contributor............how can you assess the social scene of a town by driving through it "a few times"!
    The OP's question was about "going out" in Dunmore....I'm sure if the OP wanted people's first impressions of the town, then he/she would have asked for it.

"Limited exposure":D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, so, do you have an opinion or insight of your own?

rco2000 wrote: »

Were you the commedian that used to be on the Muppet Show?:D

You're a riot.

But no, you are wrong. Rather, I was parodying "Hardy Bucks", the quintessential sideways glance at the insular, parochial bull**** mindset that is, for a large part, Dunmore.
    Actually no. Hardy Bucks is funny. I would equate Dunmore more to Friel's "Philadelphia, Here I Come!"

Shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭greengreen

Dunmore=depressing depressing depressing Tuam is like New York in comparison.
    Smaller places like Milltown and Claregalway have much more to offer.

greengreen wrote: »

Couldn't have put it better although comparing Tuam to New York might be slightly (only slightly) on the "over the top" side. Previous posters are trying to suggest that Dunmore is a grand place for going out when it's not, it's a kip, there is nothing going for it and needs to be levelled to the ground and rebuilt. There would be more craic in Gills in Ballinastack.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

My haven't we all become so sopisticated,all the pseudo city slickers, quick to belittle rural towns like Dunmore.Is it not the same as hundreds of similar towns thruout Ireland ,these are the towns and villages where our parents and grandparents came from.Somtimes it is important to get over ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yeah..... like congestion for one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

thanks for the feedback guys.. mite head out there some nite since im not at all familiar with the place

Runonewon wrote: »
    My haven't we all become so sopisticated,all the pseudo city slickers, quick to belittle rural towns like Dunmore.Is it not the same as hundreds of similar towns thruout Ireland ,these are the towns and villages where our parents and grandparents came from.Somtimes it is important to get over ourselves.

Why keep the link with this pathetic tradition if it's riddled with prejudice and banality though?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

Why keep the link with this pathetic tradition if it's riddled with prejudice and banality though?

What tradition might that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lumo22

thanks for the feedback guys.. mite head out there some nite since im not at all familiar with the place

IMO it's a great place for a nite out, some of the best pubs around,good nite club and even more importantly good people, just out to have a good time and really know how to enjoy themselves!But the only way is to find out for your self, you go for it, you wont be sorry.
    BTW, have you noticed all the negative posts are from people that don't actually live there.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

dantbyhid wrote: »
    Are Beanz On Toast not from Dunmore. That alone makes it an amazing place.:D
    http://www.myspace.com/beanzontoastgalwaypunk

poooooooooo....

do you have long hair...i bet you do...

mikom wrote: »
    Yeah..... like congestion for one.

milltown??

if i farted, i would blow milltown away!

are u from dunmore??

oh ya, who actually here is from dunmore?? i know a man called JJ and Frankie who teach in the school there....fine bog hands on the beast....i knew a man once from dunmore...jumped in the river for a swim on a hot day, 20 years later, dies of weils disease....won't do it again!
    come to think of it, theres a meatloaf tribute band on there tonight, so i've been told....i like meatloaf..its nice enough...

and who said the bouncers in the club dont take *****, they let in every underage people in town, so bad the playschools are goin outta business!

lumo22 wrote: »
    IMO it's a great place for a nite out, some of the best pubs around,good nite club and even more importantly good people, just out to have a good time and really know how to enjoy themselves!But the only way is to find out for your self, you go for it, you wont be sorry.
    BTW, have you noticed all the negative posts are from people that don't actually live there.:confused:

What an informed post.

• Advertisement

What an informed post.

i quite agree with you there sir...very informative...

Advertisement