Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepted wrong amount with Laser - any come back?

Options
  • 14-10-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I've just noticed on a bank statement that I paid for something costing €35 with Laser in a shop on Sept 28th, but the charge was actually €85. I remember the shop, and what I bought, and that I didn't get cashback, so obviously the girl typed it in wrong, and I misread it and put in my PIN. I assume there's no comeback at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

if you have a receipt and a copy of your statement, bring them into the shop and let them compare the details to their accounts..give them 24 + hours to look into it.

most honest shops would correct the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

OP - it is possible that you asked for E50 cashback with the transaction? If not, see if you can dig up the original receipt and present it to your laser provider.

dudara

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you definitely didn't get cashback, then go back to the shop with your receipt and see if they'll do anything for you.

If the shop refuses, then there's nothing the bank can do, because as far as they're concerned, you authorised that amount to be debited from your account. Your bank may write to the retailer on your behalf, but that would be at the discretion of your branch, and it probably won't have any sway over the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thanks all - I remember the shop/purchase particularly well (unlike the 1,000 other transactions that I can't remember) as there was something else happening at the time - I normally check the amount carefully before entering my pin. I'll mention it to the shop, but it's a large chain and after 2 weeks I reckon there won't be much they can do. I'll just have to chalk it up to my own stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Don't chalk it up just yet.
    You certainly aren't the first this happened to.

Go to customer service, they will not give you a refund on the spot.
    They may have to check cameras and that's for a manager to do so the CS staff will call a manager.
    Be nice about it and there is a good chance you'll get your money back

As another example in college I had internet banking so was paying €700 rent for the house, me and the flatmates.
    I sent €7,000 from my account to the landlord:eek:
    Now, try sort that out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

mikemac wrote: »
    As another example in college I had internet banking so was paying €700 rent for the house, me and the flatmates.
    I sent €7,000 from my account to the landlord:eek:
    Now, try sort that out!

I have visions of hitting ctrl-z in internet banking repeatedly while wearing a look of despair. I went the other way once, and paid a whopping 63p off my electricity bill at one stage. Turns out the ESB have no sense of humour when they ring to complain and you ask them to hold. They hang up when you start singing Greensleeves at them.

And sure, I'll certainly mention it in the shop and see what they can find out - I'd really like my €50 back, but if they say they can't find it, I did accept the transaction by entering my PIN :o

Advertisement