Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance FBD?

Options
  • 14-10-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this in the right forum, so please move it appropiatley.

I recieved my car insurance renewal today from Zurich. My quote has gone up since last year. I havnt had any accidents so i cant really understand why it has gone up.

I looked earlier for other quotes, and found FBD have a good quote.

Just wanted to ask people why would my quote have gone up, and if i decide to change are FBD good????

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Trampas

All companies are putting up their rates cause investments are down and claims are up.

Always look at what you are getting with a quote (Excess, breakdown cover, ncb protection etc) and not just the € sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭csully397

hey i phoned today for my renewal quote and it had gone up 50 euro since last year im with zurich too and nothing has changed since last year think its all becoming a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Its just annoying that its going up. And i have 30e added to it because i pay direct debit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

All premiums up around 15/20% unfortunately. Haven't used fbd myself but know people who do and never said anything bad about them, they do seem to have good prices compared to others.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There's also the insurance levy to consider. And as others have said, all companies seem to be putting up their premium this year, mainly because the amount of claims have gone up. People have less disposable income so have started claiming for things that they might not have usually claimed for and just paid upfront to have fixed.

+1 to what Trampas said, make sure that the cheaper quote provides the right level of cover that you need. Sometimes it's worth paying a bit more for the extra cover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I nearly choked on the cornflakes. My car insurance is gone from €398 to €1217. Yep you read it right !!! Thats like 300% or something. So i rang & questioned it & was told the cost of insurance is gone up. How?? Its intangible.. "Oh the amount of claims".. Ok well i didnt claim..." but the cost".. no what you mean is your profits are gone down so you need to make more by charging more.. Correct??? then I noticed a lovely bit in the end - we are giving you a no claims discount of €384. So without my discount it would have €1601.. Seriously I nearly exploded. Im like old now with baby seats in the back.. driving years & years & no penalty points & no spoiler on the back & no go faster stripes ..

Anyway after I came back down off the ceiling i googled around. 123.ie cheapest by far out of them all. Travellers & with far better cover than I ever had TBH. Check them out..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

How can they justify putting it up that much???
    I rang my insurance yesterday and asked why it had gone up, they gave the usual excuses.

I'm so lazy, dont know if its worth the hassel to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

FBD have lowered their level of cover this year in comparison with last year, too.

I left them because of this double whammy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I rang my insurance yesterday and asked why it had gone up, they gave the usual excuses.

I know - I was always the same ;been with the Q shower for 9 years, have everything with them.car , house, travel,medical .. eh no more... That 500 quid is like 2 weeks of benefit to an unemployed person so ill will be trotting off to 123.ie. & just 1 thing to add... when I rang up 123 I had lots of strange questions with regards a claim category & they were actually really helpful - maybe the guys there understand what earning their commission means but either way they were really helpful so that earns a few brownie badges in my book..

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Snoopy1 wrote: »

Well I'd definitely shop around if that's the jump. It's a bit of a pain but worth it to save a few bob. I'm hearing great things about 123.ie, and I got my insurance through the AA this year, and it was better cover than any others I'd been offered, and about €200 cheaper than the next lowest quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Go to your nearest reputable broker, they can search the whole amrket for you in 5 mins.

My broker quoted me an Axa policy cheaper than axa could because they bulk buy. poor girl in axa sounded very sheepish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

jenzz wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I nearly choked on the cornflakes. My car insurance is gone from €398 to €1217. Yep you read it right !!! Thats like 300% or something. So i rang & questioned it & was told the cost of insurance is gone up. How?? Its intangible.. "Oh the amount of claims".. Ok well i didnt claim..." but the cost".. no what you mean is your profits are gone down so you need to make more by charging more.. Correct??? then I noticed a lovely bit in the end - we are giving you a no claims discount of €384. So without my discount it would have €1601.. Seriously I nearly exploded. Im like old now with baby seats in the back.. driving years & years & no penalty points & no spoiler on the back & no go faster stripes ..

Anyway after I came back down off the ceiling i googled around. 123.ie cheapest by far out of them all. Travellers & with far better cover than I ever had TBH. Check them out..

Maybe they just wanted to get rid of you for some reason, can happen and does & it's easier to put the price up so you go away rather than argue over an issue.

I find it hard to believe that the rates went up that much...

Advertisement