Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School portraits

• 14-10-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Ok so, my daughter is due to have a school portrait done tomorrow and I'm still unsure as to whether or not to get it. Its a pay up front situation, checked the photog website, samey sort of stuff in the school section, only 5 samples. I wasnt very impressed by the other sections at all to be honest so I dont know whether to bother or not. My husband insists if we dont let her then she will be left out.

So what would you guys do, I have had so many people ask me to take their kids pics instead of the school shots as they are never happy with them, I just kinda want to get the jist of what other photographers think. I'll start off with the poll, I couldnt be bothered, although I may be pressure otherwise.

Would you purchase a school portrait of your child when you know you can do it? 25 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I went up to shoot one kids portrait at a communion earlier on in the year and ended up shooting the group shots too as the vice principal was going to shoot it with a point and shoot.

I wouldnt buy a school shot especially as I would be well up to shooting it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

somebody think of the children!

eh..... i'm running now but i'll post more later ;)

Should be no problem to recreate the same shot

1 take a poxy looking mottled background
    2 take the shot before the child is ready
    3 take the filthy money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Lol Border.... you see my main problem is that I have looked at the site, the wedding samples are not up to my standard and the samples of school shots arent the may west either so if they are good ones then what are the rest like, now to convince hubbie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

To be honest it would depend on how much they're charging. If it's a fiver, then yeah, pay the fiver so she doesn't feel left out. If it's 50, tell them she's not well and bring her somewhere fun instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

All I know is that when I was in school I'd have been glad for any reason not to get the school photo taken. If you can do a better job yourself then do it yourself I reckon.

€40 for a 8x10 and 2 postcard size pics.

€40 for a 8x10 and 2 postcard size pics.

Give her the day off, but stipulate that she has to do her homework and pose for photos :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

that's expensive. My daughter made her communion in May and the photographer came in (after I failed to get my services engaged with the headmistress :D). That was 20 quid for an 8x10 plus 4 smaller shots in those crappy cardboard frames.
    He didn't charge up front either, as far as I remember. They are still sitting in the plastic bag they came in and the shots I took are on the mantelpiece. 40 quid seems a bit expensive...

• Advertisement

Well I just convinced the hubbie, theres no way I would hang one of those pics up in my house to be honest and after showing him the website he has agreed we can leave it. I may actually take the kids to a studio one day soon and take loads of great pics myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

They were at this in our CRECHE recently. similar pricing to the above IIRC. The samples were of those white BG high key type stuff, not my cup of tea but I guess it can look ok. We declined. My wife prefers my photographs :-) In all honesty, they can probably get consistently better shots than most of mine, but after almost two years of running around after the little monster and countless rolls of film I have quite a few that I like quite a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭car

I wouldnt buy them either, Ive seen some of your work posted here, and there is nothing wrong with them, why waste ur money and they end up in a plastic bag in a drawer.

I think u should take the photos urself, you would have a bit of fun with your kids as well as spending time with them, they would have a ball with you.

car wrote: »
    I wouldnt buy them either, Ive seen some of your work posted here, and there is nothing wrong with them, why waste ur money and they end up in a plastic bag in a drawer.

I think u should take the photos urself, you would have a bit of fun with your kids as well as spending time with them, they would have a ball with you.

Thanks car, my kids are like professionally groomed models at this stage. Im delighted I am not the only one thinking why bother....

Ok, i'm with Thoie on all of this.

Only stipulation - you know your child and the kids in the class. So long as you aren't putting your child into harms way by not taking part / being the outsider / ooh look at jolly molly who's too poor to afford a nice photograph like the rest of us.... blah de blah de blah, then I'd say hold off and do it yourself. (I really hope the child's name isn't molly :o)

Even if this was an issue you could still hold off but prep your child with some magnificent put down lines should the nastiness become an issue. You know like.... "oh your getting your photo taken by THAT photographer, my mum is bringing ME to to a studio where I'll be getting a REAL professional portrait session taken" and quickly followed on with "Oh I'm so special you little piece of dog tur*" - ok leave out the very last bit, might be a bit strong / mightn't be appropriate/could get the child expelled :D

Sweet home alabama but since when did the feckers start looking for money in advance. Any school photo that we've had with the kids has been the case that you see the photos, fall in love with them, then give them the money for whatever magical package that they are selling.

One of the reasons the price is likely to be high is that the school is probably on a kick back - for each child portrait sold have a tenner for yourself love (or something the like of it).

No reason why you shouldn't do them yourself - proviso above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

"Even if this was an issue you could still hold off but prep your child with some magnificent put down lines should the nastiness become an issue. You know like.... "oh your getting your photo taken by THAT photographer, my mum is bringing ME to to a studio where I'll be getting a REAL professional portrait session taken" and quickly followed on with "Oh I'm so special you little piece of dog tur*" - ok leave out the very last bit, might be a bit strong / mightn't be appropriate/could get the child expelled "
    End of quote

Are you being sarky ?

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    "Even if this was an issue you could still hold off but prep your child with some magnificent put down lines should the nastiness become an issue. You know like.... "oh your getting your photo taken by THAT photographer, my mum is bringing ME to to a studio where I'll be getting a REAL professional portrait session taken" and quickly followed on with "Oh I'm so special you little piece of dog tur*" - ok leave out the very last bit, might be a bit strong / mightn't be appropriate/could get the child expelled "
    End of quote

Are you being sarky ?

Yup - the big smiley face at the end of line is a dead give away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

AnCatDubh wrote: »

Sweet home alabama but since when did the feckers start looking for money in advance. Any school photo that we've had with the kids has been the case that you see the photos, fall in love with them, then give them the money for whatever magical package that they are selling.

Too bloody right! There's no way in hell I'd be buying without seeing first - I've never heard of that before.

@STG - I bought my youngest's junior infants one and it looks awful. BIG waste of money. I have hundreds of him that are far superior. Last year I *did* buy the class one as he was going into 'big' school and the classes were all being mixed up. Plus it was a much better photo taken by a much better photographer. Group shots are the only ones I'll ever bother with.

I *would* be complaining in no uncertain terms to the school though about this. I never intend to buy mine but I think its totally unfair of the school/photographer to allow this situation to arise where your child might feel out of place or marginalised for not using the service. It probably wouldn't happen, but the fact that you're on here worrying about it speaks volumes to me. That's just plain wrong, and IMHO needs to be addressed urgently. As I said, it's the first time I've ever heard of such a practise.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    sineadw wrote: »
    Too bloody right! There's no way in hell I'd be buying without seeing first - I've never heard of that before.

I *would* be complaining in no uncertain terms to the school though about this. I never intend to buy mine but I think its totally unfair of the school/photographer to allow this situation to arise where your child might feel out of place or marginalised for not using the service.

Have to agree that I'd mention it to the school - when I was at school (also a time when there was a lot of unemployment) everyone's photo was taken and a small version printed to give to your parents. If they liked it, they paid X and got a bigger version in a cardboard thingy, but there was no obligation on anyone to buy, and it was handled in such a way that only the school secretary knew who was buying and who wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Yeah I'd hold off, we got ones done for our debs this year it was €25 for one or €40 for two, pay up front. I really wasn't impressed with the quality, one of those horrible backgrounds and not even full body in the shot. Tbh I think some of the ones my mum took off my camera (on totally auto) were nearly better than the "professional" one.

I wouldn't bother again anyway. I'd say do it yourself, then you'll get something you're really going to be happy with. If you can do it just as good or better than someone else than why pay for a lesser quality version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I'd pay for the class shot. as it's something that they can look back on and point out all there friends, as for the individual shot. I wouldn't get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I voted thinking it was the Group Shot. I would definitely pay for the Class Shot. They are good to look back on & an added bonus can be if one of those snivelling SSM's becomes (in)famous.

As for the cheesy individual portrait, do one yourself & save the dosh. You could get your kid along with his/her friends & do some group shots & individual portraits. Share the cost of the Studio with the other parents & all get better photo's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i voted yes

for two main reasons

1, i wouldnt want my son to feel left out etc, doing them myself i would struggle to maybe get the same results as he is my son, etc.

2. i belive in trying to support other photographers, as i would hope they would do for me.

I deff wouldnt be into trying to arrange a group of parents, as this would then put me in direct competition with the photographer. I know quite a few people here would get upset if someone started muscling in on their work!!

stcstc wrote: »
    I know quite a few people here would get upset if someone started muscling in on their work!!

That's ok if you're talking about studio work - where the parent makes a conscious decision to get a portrait. Then yes - 100% support a photographer (if his stuff is up to standard). We're talking here about the parent not having a CHOICE though but to get them or have the child feel left out. That bugs the crap out of me. Shouldn't be allowed.

Thanks all, so shes gone to school without the 440, she knows to say to anyone who asks that she isnt getting one because her mammy is a photographer. Many of her friends also know as I have taken some of their pictures previously.

I would never try to muscle in on another photographers work but I dont believe in supporting another photographer by paying €40 upfront when I dont like his sample portfolio. I have been asked by many parents to take their childs photograph in the past rather than using the school photographer. If there was a class one on offer I would most likely choose to purchase one but there isnt.

When I was in school it was also the case of getting a small one to decide upon and then going with the full package if you wished but I see upfront payments are more common now. there is an option to return for refund if you are unhappy but I see from past experiences of neighbours that they will not return as it causes embarrassment having to go through the school for this.

i agree that the idea of peer pressure being used shouldnt be allowed, I also agree that having to pay up front is a bit pushy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭outspann

Be very careful here!

There is a photo of me in my Confirmation outfit hanging on the wall of my parents house for the last twenty years. It's like the picture of Dorian Grey - except as I get older, the child in that picture gets uglier. There's this look on my face in that photo that even thinking about now causes me to die a little inside.

Whatever you do regarding getting the photo taken, please Please for your childs sake DO NOT hang it on the wall if it's not a great shot. You need to put all that parental love, all that beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder stuff to one side. Trust me on this. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I'd say the €40 price tag is not all for the photog. I'd enquire with the principal where the 40 goes. Maybe half goes to the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

My kids came home with these last year and while the quality of the image was top notch as was the presentation, i felt that the pose and indeed the whole concept is a bit dated! My son isnt the perfectly groomed serious looking boy in the picture, he is the one with his tie hanging off, his hair ruffled and his uniform manky from playing invisible football in the yard (they are not allowed balls so have taken to playing without the ball, works quite well)

We still bought them for one simple reason, she said so!

• Advertisement

now what was it i was saying the other day about thumb prints!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

€40 - sounds like a rip off. Mine was only 2/6 and 7/6 for an enlargement :)

1C5FF16AD682469A82F5A62CCCCF1FE8-500.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What is the point of School Photographs unless you get a Class Photograph? If that was not included then I would definitely not be interested. I bet it's all to do with some PC garbage about Peadofiles as I cannot think of any other reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

CabanSail wrote: »
    What is the point of School Photographs unless you get a Class Photograph? If that was not included then I would definitely not be interested. I bet it's all to do with some PC garbage about Peadofiles as I cannot think of any other reason.

oh no ! I've come to the conclusion that the photography forum actually has, in operation, a law very similar to Godwins law. It might go something like this ...

"In any discussion concerning children and photographs, the probability of someone mentioning pedophilia approaches 1 as the thread progresses."

EVERY TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED the thread has rapidly gone completely downhill and just becomes full of vague unfounded insinuations and personal attacks :D

Time to lock !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I voted yes.. because it's what I did :D

The little fellow 'graduated' from playschool last year. I had every intention of buying the class photo and nothing else, but then they showed me the pics of him against the cheesy painted books background with his little cap and gown on him, and how could I not spend €105 euro on them? :eek:

The school he's in now gets a parent to take them and all proceeds go to the school itself, so I'll keep doing it, too.

No way would I pay up front for a photo I haven't seen yet (except in the case of a school fund raiser)..

Quackles wrote: »

The school he's in now gets a parent to take them and all proceeds go to the school itself, so I'll keep doing it, too.

No way would I pay up front for a photo I haven't seen yet (except in the case of a school fund raiser)..

Isnt that a great idea, Id say they make a fortune.

• Advertisement

Isnt that a great idea, Id say they make a fortune.

It's a new school with a very active parents committee, they are fantastic at fundraising!

My older boy's school had a pro photographer who took group shots and donated all the (badly needed!) profits back to the school. That was great. This sounds a bit different though?

sineadw wrote: »
    My older boy's school had a pro photographer who took group shots and donated all the (badly needed!) profits back to the school. That was great. This sounds a bit different though?

Yup, the parent in question was definitely not a pro photographer... haven't seen the shots, so can't comment on their quality. I'm sure they covered his costs, though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Any chance of a link to the photographers website? Id like to see his work.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

dazftw wrote: »
    Any chance of a link to the photographers website? Id like to see his work.

STG - if providing then maybe a PM to dazftw rather than a link on the forum would be best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Sounds expensive. If there was a class photo I would say yes take it. But like other posters here the photos we have framed in the house we took ourselves on various days out to Glendalough, Ardgillen and other parks.

But think of the child also. If you can get a 5x7 in the horrible littel cardboard folder take one so she wont be left out for this reason I voted yes. We take 1 and it cost €5.50 Thats what we do...... We have a few class photos, junior infants for both of them and 3rd class for our eldest. We will get a 6th class one this year.

They are all in the magic memories box we have for each of our kids and they will get when they leave school, photos, school reports and other bits and pieces. They have not seen these box's yet and they are 11 and 7...

Honestly I dont think it would be the right thing to do, i dont like the shots but I wouldnt want anyone passing my website around because they didnt like mine to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

smelltheglove Honestly I dont think it would be the right thing to do, i dont like the shots but I wouldnt want anyone passing my website around because they didnt like mine to be honest.

Thats a very decent and fair comment to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

really i think it depends on if it's a group shot or not. my parents didn't like the portrait and didn't buy in the past for me - i never cared. However there is something nice about the crappy class photo all these years later which honestly i would never give up now.

Class photo yes
    portrait no if you can do better or if over priced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

they are not allowed balls so have taken to playing without the ball, works quite well

what kind of school doesnt let kids play football? Can they use an empty bottle or some used up tinfoil scrunched up into a ball?

Honestly I dont think it would be the right thing to do, i dont like the shots but I wouldnt want anyone passing my website around because they didnt like mine to be honest.

Plus, in these days of anonymous internet, you could end up sending someone their own site :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Thats understandable, just you said his wedding shots are not up to your standard. This to me is just plain arrogant and id like to compare.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I actually thought this was a send up when I started reading it. Why would anyone even have to ask the question if they have the studio and can do a better job themselves. The fact that someone was looking for €40 upfront for something that you haven't even seen made it seem even more surreal. That makes it a no brainer surely?

I too would love these photos that are so inferior to your own.

I dont understand this way of thinking, if the shots were in your opinion good you would have no problem linking to the website but because in your opinion they are bad you will not link!

Putting a website up in my opinion means that you stand over the work that you have included in them and feel it is your best, if it is not up to scratch then you deserve that feedback!

what kind of school doesnt let kids play football? Can they use an empty bottle or some used up tinfoil scrunched up into a ball?

The ones in Dublin 6w Kumate!

• Advertisement
Advertisement