Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can you buy fireproof rope in ireland?

Options
  • 14-10-2009 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

hi ,
    i need fireproof rope to seal the door of a parkray fire and cant seam to find anywhere in ireland that sells it.

any one know where i can pick it up in dublin or waterford or online?

cheers,
    ft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

hi ,
    i need fireproof rope to seal the door of a parkray fire and cant seam to find anywhere in ireland that sells it.

any one know where i can pick it up in dublin or waterford or online?

cheers,
    ft

Heatmerchants might have it - they arenational.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

thank you very much for your reply, ill give them a call and see if they have it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,704 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got some in ph ross in dublin about five years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

thanks magicbastarder,
    that just up the road from me!!! very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

how about a few feet of stranded steel cable instead? itd get way to hot to touch if the fire is on but if thats not a problem, itd be cheap, easy to find and plenty flexible enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

mawk wrote: »
    how about a few feet of stranded steel cable instead? itd get way to hot to touch if the fire is on but if thats not a problem, itd be cheap, easy to find and plenty flexible enough

That's not a great idea.
    The steel will expand when heated and will do damage.
    Stick with the rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

That's not a great idea.
    The steel will expand when heated and will do damage.
    Stick with the rope.

well.. im not sure that makes a lot of sense. if the cable expands the majority of the clubical expansion goes into linear expansion. so the worst that happens is the loop youre using gets ever so slightly looser.. surely not doing damage.

plus, if im not mistaken about the type of fire here, the body of it is made of cast iron, which has a coefficient of linear thermal expansion of only (.03X10^-6m)/degree different to that of the steel cable.

thats 1/30millionth of a meter difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

mawk wrote: »

Thats a dumb idea. Steel wire rope won't seal, bad seal means too much air gets in and causes the fire to burn extremely hot.
    The reason that stoves use fibreglass rope to seal the door is so the seal is maintained.
    If wire rope was a better solution then they would use that instead no?
    The other problem is that many wire ropes have a core that is not steel in a 7x7 construction the centre core is often a grease impregnated rope that is designed to lubricate the strands.
    This core would not like the heat generated by a stove and may in fact pose a fire risk as the grease melts and runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Steel wire rope is madness and dangerous. Very dangerous.

Plumb X does the rope in blanchardstown. PM me they will post it to you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Most outlets that sell stoves will stock a variety of fire proof rope and the adhesive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

You could try 'The Stove People' in New Ross also.

Advertisement