Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CryEngine 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Now imagine a decent game running that.

yeah me either, keeping thinking about ****ing alien monkey lookalike called Elvis.:mad:

Looks excellent but they all do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The engine will now be used by other developers now consoles are capable of running it. Hopefully the outcome will be a half decent game of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The most amazing thing about it is the proposed dev tools. Being able to develop for all platforms with no complication....sounds dubious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

my gfx card almost melted just playing the vid !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Wow. That looked ridiculously good. Hopefully more developers use this than they did cryengine 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Not bad for consoles, im sure a Nvidia 295GTX would bring it to a whole new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Jim wrote: »
    The most amazing thing about it is the proposed dev tools. Being able to develop for all platforms with no complication....sounds dubious.

It's very possible from a technical aspect, it just takes a lot of time and effort to develop your own compiler that then turns your code into the machine code for 3 (well, 2) different platforms. I assume the system will scale things back from PC to console (draw distance, etc.).

I would love for this to really get adopted and give us real-time proper physics gameplay in console games.

This is exactly the kind of thing Valve said would happen with Source all those years ago...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Was quite skeptical of the all platform approach but it does look very impressive. If it is as transparent across platforms as Crytek say, then I can see a much greater uptake of licences from third parties this time around.

And if the end result is some better quality PC versions of console games (As well as great PC only games of course), then super.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,307 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Developer tools and licensing costs, and then hardware requirements. thats what it will boil down to.

Multicore eh. Did Cryengine 2 ever really have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

It's very possible from a technical aspect, it just takes a lot of time and effort to develop your own compiler that then turns your code into the machine code for 3 (well, 2) different platforms. I assume the system will scale things back from PC to console (draw distance, etc.).

Having Cell processor development experience I am incredibly skeptical of anyone claiming to have a compiler which generates optimal SPE code from a HLL (if that is what they're claiming).

IBM havent even got a compiler anything close to that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Overheal wrote: »
    Developer tools and licensing costs, and then hardware requirements. thats what it will boil down to.

Multicore eh. Did Cryengine 2 ever really have it?

True I think ultimately the key will be exactly how easy and cost effective it is to target all three platforms 360, PS3 and PC (And truthfully in particular the two consoles). If it brings down the overall cost of porting games signifigantly then the sky is the limit I would say.

the problem really seems to be the PS3: Sony's answer to the niggling problem that essentially all that variates consoles is the controller, who has the latest hardware, and a proprietary disc drive. They just went and pulled a stupid with the Cel Processor if you ask me. Making a proprietary processor thats a bitch to code for: oh yes, thats progress.

Making a proprietary processor thats a bitch to code for: oh yes, thats progress.

Its not exactly what you'd call a proprietary processor, you can buy a multi-cell bladeserver from IBM for instance. Toshiba have a Cell enabled TV, and Cell enabled PCI-e cards exist.

The actual difficulty in programming the Cell has been largely exaggerated, there's a bit of spin and industry politics involved too. Multiprocessor techniques carry over from traditional x86 architectures, there are differences but any decent programmer willing to learn the ins and outs will pick them up pretty quickly.

Edit: Also the PPE unit, while slow, codes like any regular x86 (you can literally port your x86 C code to the PPE, line for line, and it'll run fine). Most first gen PS3 titles (and I'd bet some of the current ones) didn't use the 8 SPE's at all - they just relied on offloading work to the GPU.

Yeah but thats the thing, most developers wont. Theyre either set in their ways or they dont have the manpower to code for an essentially unique platform. Last generation because of similarities in hardware it was easy and cheap and lucrative for developers to port to all major platforms. Now, not so much.

Yeah but thats the thing, most developers wont. Theyre either set in their ways or they dont have the manpower to code for an essentially unique platform.

Well they better learn fast, programmers who aren't willing to change don't last long. Tis the nature of technology.

*Bump*

Some more CryEngine 3 eye candy from the i3D 2010 demo on March 1st. (While i recognise some of thh the individual words I have no idea what the sentances mean :D)

Cacaded Light Propogation Volumes for Realtime global Illumination: Means theres no Light-Map, so to speak. Light Maps are as old as sin, and theyre generated when the Map itself is Published/Rendered - all they are is a static layer of Shading that sits on top of the map texture (or in the case of CryEngine2 I believe the Daytime effect was accheived with a pre-rendered dynamic lightmap: but only really worked for Sunlight. The same thing you see @ 30 seconds)

This would be a realtime calculation system: whereby non-static objects would have super-realistic shadows and light reflections.

The Ray Marching @ 2:36 probably an optimized derivative Ray Tracing: A Seriously power hungry operation. You should be able to wiki it. But what it is basically is calculating in several passes how Each Texel (Texure Pixel) interacts with a particular lightsource: First, Direct line texels to the original light are illuminated; then those texels are regarded in the next pass as lightsources themseves based on how much of the lightsource they can reflect. This goes on for X number of passes. Ray Marching is necessary for indirect lighting schemes, shown. Theyve taken it a step farther too, by adding color spectrum to the ray traced light. Very impressive o_O

Next they show one Light Propogation Volume (LPV) grid on the left of the blue room scene, and 3 on the right: A Triple pass.

The final Apartment scene shows what a Full Studio Render scene looks like, and illustrates Realtime is not a perfect lighting solution yet: the power just isnt available.

I shudder to fathom what unholy machine would be required to power such an engine.

In his India Game Developer Summit 2010 keynote speech, executive producer Carl Jones revealed that Crysis 2 will have lower system requirements and improved graphics capabilities when compared to Crysis. The statement comes from a report recently published on DNA India website.
    http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=852&Itemid=1

I'll believe that when I see for myself I can run it, it was 2 years before I could run the original Crysis with AA and get decent frames. It does look amazing though

crysis2_wip_screens_gamesradar_02.jpg
    crysis2_wip_screens_gamesradar_01.jpg
    crysis2_wip_screens_gamesradar_11.jpg
    crysis2_wip_screens_gamesradar_13.jpg
    crysis2_wip_screens_gamesradar_14.jpg

Pics from here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Pre rendered screens ftl.

Burgo wrote: »

Everyone said that about the screenshots of Crysis before release, but it did actually end up looking like the WIP pics. Crysis is 2 years old and I still use it to showcase my pc when my friends call. It still looks so much better than anything thats come out in the last 2 years, in fact nothing has even come close. No other developer is pushing boundaries.

To get it to run on a console is the ultimate feat, I'm tiring of the Unreal engine that gets used so much, its dated at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

to be perfectly honest, its clear now that Crysis is built on a poorly optimized engine. to say it'll look better on lower spec requirements is perfectly plausible as long as they optimized the engine a bit better

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Burgo wrote: »
    The truth would be somewhere in the middle; I'd say those are genuine shots taken from the engine in action, but the scenes are clearly posed (ala Gary's Mod or the like) and then airbrushed & touched up in Photoshop. I'll be interested in the demo anyway, but Crysis the game did nothing for me.

to be perfectly honest, its clear now that Crysis is built on a poorly optimized engine. to say it'll look better on lower spec requirements is perfectly plausible as long as they optimized the engine a bit better

Without doubt it was, although they did did seem to make some signifigant performance improvements in CryEngine 2 between Crysis and Crysis Warhead so I am hopeful that they can continue in the same vein.

I totally agree with PogMoThoin share that the Unreal 3 engine (and valve Source engine) are starting to show there age. The Unreal 4 engine will not be seen until "sometime after 2012" so there could be an opportunity for Crytek if they make a good job of this.

As for Crysis itself I thought it was a good game although of course there are number of better FPS around, I think the some of the critcs of its gameplay did go a little OTT, I'd give it a solid 7.5/10 myself.

*And cheers for the graphics tutorial Overheal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

marco_polo wrote: »

I totally agree with PogMoThoin share that the Unreal 3 engine (and valve Source engine) are starting to show there age. The Unreal 4 engine will not be seen until "sometime after 2012" so there could be an opportunity for Crytek if they make a good job of this.

Stop taking silly, Noone will buy the crytek engine due to previous issues with it.

Epic have the engine selling buisness in the bag, even ID cant break them.

As for Crytek yay another game noone can run with monkeys/aliens/elvis in it.

if they actually made a good game fairly sure people would talk about their games more. Looking good means **** if your game sucks. Altho PC fanboys always point to Crysis for points over consolers its still a **** game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Stop taking silly, Noone will buy the crytek engine due to previous issues with it.

if they actually made a good game fairly sure people would talk about their games more. Looking good means **** if your game sucks. Altho PC fanboys always point to Crysis for points over consolers its still a **** game.
    I actually really liked crysis. If it wasn't for that weird bit in the middle
    on the alien ship
    it would have been great. Some great moments in it as well.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Since no gaming companies lisensed the CryEngine 2 I am not sure what problems they could have had with it? Since probably Quake II, Epic have been at the top for a long lomg time at IDs expense, probably for at least 10 years but is that any reason to assume is it in the bag forever? Epic have all but said that the next unreal engine will not be seen untill the next generation of consoles. Will people really be satisfied with another 3-4 years of the Unreal 3 engine games? (Alot of my favourite games of all time, from Deus Ex to Bioshock to Mass Effect have been developed on a version of the Unreal Engine, which has a great story as it happens, but for me that does not excuse a lack of current innovation.)

Agree that graphics does not a game make, but since I have a few consoles under my TV at this very moment I can only presume this comment was not aimed at me :confused: If you come seeking fanboy wars you have come to the wrong place sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Everyone said that about the screenshots of Crysis before release, but it did actually end up looking like the WIP pics.

+1

Crysis WIP shot:

http://jordanlegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/crysis-face.jpg

Crysis in game screenshot that I took:

http://leimrod.com/wp-content/gallery/crysis-warhead/00058.jpg

The problem with Crysis has always been the graphics card drivers and not the game engine itself. Crysis hasn't been patched in years, but every time I run it with newer graphics card drivers I get an extra few FPS. The game now runs around 20fps faster than when I first ran it with my current PC (which hasn't been upgraded in around 2 years) When you are going from 20fps to 40fps the difference is HUGE.

People tend to always jump on the game for running poorly but no one bothers to question how nVidia and AMD are optimizing their drivers and how they are managing to do it so badly. I just accept now that I won't get to see close to the true performance of a new graphics card until a year after it has been released and the drivers have matured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

L31mr0d wrote: »
    +1

Crysis WIP shot:

http://jordanlegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/crysis-face.jpg

Crysis in game screenshot that I took:

http://leimrod.com/wp-content/gallery/crysis-warhead/00058.jpg

The problem with Crysis has always been the graphics card drivers and not the game engine itself. Crysis hasn't been patched in years, but every time I run it with newer graphics card drivers I get an extra few FPS. The game now runs around 20fps faster than when I first ran it with my current PC (which hasn't been upgraded in around 2 years) When you are going from 20fps to 40fps the difference is HUGE.

People tend to always jump on the game for running poorly but no one bothers to question how nVidia and AMD are optimizing their drivers and how they are managing to do it so badly. I just accept now that I won't get to see close to the true performance of a new graphics card until a year after it has been released and the drivers have matured.

What areyour system specs? I have an AMD phenom and an 8800gt (about 2 yrs old) and it has always struggled to play it even on medium settings. I was planning to upgrade to a gtx295 but haven't got around to it.

What areyour system specs? I have an AMD phenom and an 8800gt (about 2 yrs old) and it has always struggled to play it even on medium settings. I was planning to upgrade to a gtx295 but haven't got around to it.

I have a q6600, 4GBs ram and a 4870 1GB and I could play crysis warhead at 1920x1200 maxed out with no slowdown. Can't remember what I could play crysis at.

• Advertisement

8800gt not good enough for max settings I'm afraid.

I can also max it with a 4870x2

Advertisement