Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Welfare Groups not Neutering??

Options
  • 14-10-2009 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I've recently heard that a local SPCA is no longer spay/neutering the animals it is rehoming. Is it just me or is this beyond belief and completely defeating the work of rescue centres in the first place?
    Are there other rescue/welfare groups doing this??
    What do people think as I'm just openmouthed and am wondering am I missing something here??:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have you any documentation or proof of this claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭selfbuildache

I hear you. No, I've no documentation or proof. 'Very reliably informed' is the best I can give. I'll edit and take out the name to make it a general question. The brains are being taken over by anger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Thanks - sorry just libellous cases are so easy these days.

It does sound stupid that they're not spaying animals before rehoming. Do they not usually have it as part of the rehoming clause? Like you pay X to cover the animal being neutered etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Not sure about the spcas , but I do know that some places will rehome an animal who is maybe too young, just getting over an illness etc with a clause that the animal will be neutered when a vet says it's ready for it. Maybe this is what is happening? I'd like to think so as the idea of a rescue not neutering for anything other than medical reasons is beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Our brat came from the pound and we'd to sign an agreement to nueter him. I wonder if it's the same deal with the SPCA ? Or it could be as Helena.Ryan said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

the German Shepherd i took out of the CSPCA was not only not neutered, she was carrying 6 puppies, which are 4 weeks old today, she was also not vaccinated, not chipped/tagged, no licence and not even brushed to remove the matting in her hair - she was there for a week

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭selfbuildache

I called the ISPCA about the particular SPCA in question and I'm told that the 'SPCA' name can be taken by anyone/private organisation so they are therefore not regulated by any single body. 'My' SPCA' had dissassociated themselves from the ISPCA and are now running solo.
    As to it just being puppies, or ill dogs, no, it's all dogs. What I heard (privately from longterm volunteers and one committee member) was that they didn't have the funds to neuter anymore:eek: . (Yes, unbelievably shortsighted from people 'in the business'.)
    I'm not sure what paperwork is involved and/or whether there is an agreement to sign but there is no extra money paid towards neutering.
    It's pretty depressing that a 'rescue' could be so irresponsible...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Wow what a pity, in my personal opinion Irish Animals are by far the worst affected by the recession that we are in. More pets are being dumped, abandoned, stolen and going without proper care than ever. Being a volunteer at a local animal welfare group I can tell you that is a constant flow of pets coming through the doors and very little going out.

Neutering and spaying is one of most important things you can do as a pet owner in my opinion, I can't understand why the SPCA in question wouldn't charge an adoption fee which includes the cost of spaying and neutering. Most people wouldn't mind giving it knowing how difficult a time animal charities in Ireland have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 guinnessfan

Hey OP,

Our dog was also in a well renowned 'SPCA' and was not spayed....even though they claim it's included in the price you pay for adoption. She had no vaccinations either.
    When I enquired about it, I was also told they did not have the funds! We took her regardless and had to get her all the usual jabs done ourselves.

What really annoyed me was the fact I had to ask about her jabs etc - they didn't offer this information up when we were taking her

Unbelievable alright!

Advertisement