Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a tripod

• 14-10-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been covered here before but search is disabled so here goes...

Can I ask you to recommend a good tripod (will be using 50D with lenses upto 300mm). I am interested in all kinds of photographt - landscape, action, portrait etc and also want to study macro. So I am looking at a good mid range tripod but have never owned one before so I havn't a clue.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you look at the Manfrotto range you will not go too far wrong.

Cheap Tripods do have their place though. It's called the Bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

CabanSail wrote: »
    If you look at the Manfrotto range you will not go too far wrong.

Cheap Tripods do have their place though. It's called the Bin.

are you saying Manfrotto's are cheap / to be avoided?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

No - Manfrotto are very good & have an excellent repuatation.

You can pick up cheap tripods around the place & you get what you pay for.

There are also the Gorilla Pods which can be very useful in certain circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

As a complete n00b, I can't advise ya personally, but I found this the other day, and it might be of some interest to you;

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/home/default.aspx?/guides/tripod-buying-guide.html

No - Manfrotto are very good & have an excellent repuatation.

You can pick up cheap tripods around the place & you get what you pay for.

There are also the Gorilla Pods which can be very useful in certain circumstances.

Many thanks for that, Manfrotto is a make that keeps coming up again and again so I'm glad to see locals also backing it. Should I go for a seperate head ? if so ball or tilt ? whats the advantage of one over another ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I have decided for Manfrotto 055XPROB and I am more than happy with that. Three way head on it so far and the tripod is capable of more than I could even dream of. I've seen it in real and almost bought it on-line, but got good price in Dublin and I really wanted it, so why wait? :D

Edit: Three way head is my favorite, because it allows me to change the view angle only in one axis at a time. Very good for panning and recomposing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Another vote for manfrotto, I have the same (or similar) model as thonda has. One drawback is that the sturdier ones weigh a ton, I've hiked carrying mine and you definately feel it after a while. Of course it didn't help that I had a 2kg F4 and lens stuck onto it ...
    You look for three things in a tripod. It has to be Cheap, Light, and Sturdy. Trouble is you can only get two if those things at any one time...

ThOnda wrote: »
    I have decided for Manfrotto 055XPROB and I am more than happy with that. Three way head on it so far and the tripod is capable of more than I could even dream of. I've seen it in real and almost bought it on-line, but got good price in Dublin and I really wanted it, so why wait? :D

Edit: Three way head is my favorite, because it allows me to change the view angle only in one axis at a time. Very good for panning and recomposing.

gotcha, great explanation especially the bit about adjusting one axis at a time. I'm gonna copy you ThOnda. Many thanks.

EDIT: BTW - which 3way head did you get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bmtannam

Try googling trekpod too....they are very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

How good are Gorilla Pods guys? Even though they are designed for DSLRs, I am wondering in practise and over time, can they hold their position reliably?

I have heard the problem with them is, if you change the set-up / stance of it, it's nearly impossible to re-take the same picture, but I guess that's an acceptable limitation for what you'd be most likely using it for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

I have a Slik Able 300dx tripod, which is a big and heavy enough thing, but it does it's job wonderfully, and it extends to a height that enables me with my almost 6 ft. to work without having to crouch down...
    Haven't found any flaws with it so far, the inner column is reversible, too, so that you can position the camera very near the ground from above, so to speak.

I'd stay clear of the Gorillapod for your setup, OP, because I would think your cam and lens is too heavy, and the pod won't hold its position for very long... I have a Gorillapod SLR, and never use it with my D300 because it is just too wobbly, and won't stay in place. There is the Gorillapod SLR Zoom, which is sturdier, but doesn't have a quick release plate. I don't know whether that one would be enough to support your camera, so can't say anything... :)

The GorillaPod SLR is too small. I have the SLR Zoom model & have used it quite sucessfully with my D300 with the Nikon 18-200 as well as the Sigma 10-20 on the front. They are not perfect but so small that I can keep it in with me at all times. I have one shot from Kilmainham Gaol that I would have found difficult to take without it, even with my large Manfrotto Tripod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

The GorillaPod SLR is too small. I have the SLR Zoom model & have used it quite sucessfully with my D300 with the Nikon 18-200 as well as the Sigma 10-20 on the front. They are not perfect but so small that I can keep it in with me at all times. I have one shot from Kilmainham Gaol that I would have found difficult to take without it, even with my large Manfrotto Tripod.
    Yep, thanks for confirming that :) I used the Gorillapod SLR with my D50, and that just about worked, but not anymore with the D300. Hoh well.

Advertisement