Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pine Flooring

Options
  • 14-10-2009 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've just put down fresh red deal pine flooring in my house. I'm trying to decide whether to stain it and then varnish as I want it a darker colour. Does red-deal naturally darken over time or if I put a clear varnish on it will the varnish cause it to darken over time or will it keep it's colour regardless. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

The varnish on the unstained floor will darken it a little, but thats just because you are applying a substance to it. It will naturally mellow over time, but its a matter of years, it will get a little darker alright, but, it all depends on what sort of color you are looking for. If its an oak, or dark antique pine look you are after you may need to apply a stain, other than that it may be 100 years or more before it seriously darkens naturally ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ballymore79

Thanks CroppyBoy, I think I'll leave the stain and just use clear varnish. What type of varnish would you use on red deal, oil based or water based

Advertisement