Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which additional rats screwed us today ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

[Brief off-topic rant]

I've been a long time follower of this politics board and a fairly short time contributor but I do feel the need to make an observation. . . It feels like every thread on here at the moment is going in the same direction . .

1. Way off-topic discussion that usually ends up back at NAMA or politicians expenses regardless of what the topic was.
    2. Ridiculous he-said, she-said debates about the semantics of a post that really have little to do with the topic in question (I have to confess that I have been drawn into this style of debate myself once or twice)
    3. Irrational mob-style obscenities being thrown in the direction of anyone who is a member or supporter of either of the government parties with the use of nasty and often obscene language

In my view, this forum provides an excellent opportunity for open, respectful political debate but this opportunity is being lost in this torrent of abuse and unconstructive mud-slinging . .

For example, this thread is a not unreasonable question about why there were not 166 members in the Dail yesterday for a crucial vote on an issue that will affect us all, but instead it degenerates into a) an argument about the principles of NAMA which is off topic and in the wrong forum (there is lots of opportunity to discuss this in the Irish Economy forum) and b) a slagging match about idiots, rats and scumbags . .

I have a lot of respect for the mods and the thankless jobs they do but I really think more ought to be done to keep these debates civil and on-topic ..

[On Topic]

OP, I understand your point in relation to the numbers but your conclusion that 15 members 'chickened out of a vote' and that their votes 'could have saved us' only demonstrates that you do not know how Dail Eireann works. It was clear well before the vote that the government had a majority and the vote would be carried and in this case there are two options :

a) We ensure that all 166 deputies are in the chamber for every single vote so that they represent their constituency and 'earn their money'. .

or

b) We recognise that the role of the TD or government minister is greater than just sitting in the chamber voting on every motion. We do not waste money insisting that every TD is present in DE for every vote and we exercise some sort of pragmatic and sensible management of the vote. This is why we have party whips and a pairing system. It makes sense and saves us money.

If I am wrong (as I suspect I am) and you do understand the system then clearly you are just using this forum to create an opportunity to fire abuse at the political system and describe our politicians as scum and rats. I don't find this very productive tbh, frankly its getting a little boring.

BTW, I understand that Bertie Ahern was in Dail Eireann yesterday for the NAMA vote.

Advertisement