Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Shops in Manhattan

• 14-10-2009 11:06pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any good recommendations for camera shops in Manhattan?
    I can find plenty using google, but I'm looking for recommendations, as I'm thinking of investing in a digital SLR, probably a Nikon D5000, D90 or similar depending on how much cash I have!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

B&H is your only man, but be aware it is run by Hacidic Jews and can be shut for Holidays check the website before you go http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

B&H is your only man, but be aware it is run by Hacidic Jews and can be shut for Holidays check the website before you go http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Steer clear of 'corner shop' camera stores. As stated, B&H are tops. Have a look at these articles. You have been warned!

http://mcbrooklyn.blogspot.com/2009/01/famous-brooklyn-bait-and-switch-camera.html

http://www.photosecrets.com/links.dodgy.html

http://www.flickr.com/groups/newyorkers/discuss/72157604532382105/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Has anyone had much success haggling in B&H?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Yeah and J&R is near B&H somewhere both pretty good shops with great prices. Just don't get anything from the shops around Times Sq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Lucky u to be floatin around B&H !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

the only stores that I would purchase from in NYC

B&H
    J&R
    Calumet

per the other posters do NOT go anywhere else

anyone going to NYC should make a trip to B&H.... it is some store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

Adorama at 42 West 18th Street (not far from B&H) is another very reputable store. It too is run by Hasidic Jews so check the website for opening hours as they will be closed on Jewish holidays.

http://www.adorama.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Apparently Hasidic Jews really like the photography business...

Anyway, if you can convince them the camera isn't leaving the country you won't have to pay export tax...I think. When I bought some camera equipment in New York a few years ago the guy made a point of asking me where I was from and why I was in New York, and then made a pointed hum and made a note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Rb wrote: »
    Has anyone had much success haggling in B&H?

Haggle are you serious? This is NYC. unless your going to spend the price of a house in there I wouldn't bother they'll probably just you laugh you out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

trishw78 wrote: »
    Haggle are you serious? This is NYC. unless your going to spend the price of a house in there I wouldn't bother they'll probably just you laugh you out the door.

No harm in asking :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

B&H is amazing - those Hasidic Jews are serious chaps who know their cameras, but could probably do with a sense of humour adjustment. It's a great place to find second-hand lenses etc for older makes and models, too.

Love their little trolley-system for shifting stock from Sales to the front-desk :)

I spent about $1000 there in 2005 and got some money off, and some free memory!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thanks for the info folks, keep it coming. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭outspann

I've written and rewritten this reply a number of times as I'm trying to be very careful as to how I phrase my point: but I've never enjoyed my shopping experience in B+H.

It's a fantastically well stocked shop, with an amazing selection and great prices, but the few times I've been there I've felt like I'm on the worlds rudest conveyor belt. And yet every time I read about B+H, it's "the best camera shop in the WORRRLLLDDDDD!"

Last month, I was going to buy a fairly decent lens, went through the whole ordering process, downstairs to pay, only to be informed that I needed identification if I wanted to use my credit card. I was then treated to a two minute lecture on how stupid I was to try and use the card without any ID. My annoyance was only heightened by the fact that he wouldn't give me back my card until he finished his speech - meaning that short of diving over the counter to grab it out of his hand, I had to stay there until he ran out of steam.

Please tell me that it's not just me that's felt this??? Do I have a shifty look or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Anytime I've used my CC in the States I've often been asken for my ID. Even in B&H I was asked, I don't see anything strange in showing them ID.

I understand where you get that conveyor belt feeling from, but I didn't find them at all rude. Quite helpful infact. Could it be that you're misinterpreting there demeanour as rudeness. some New Yorkers can appear to be being rude but aren't being rude.

@DK I spent just short of 2K there last year and there definately wasn't freebies or discounts on the go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭outspann

I can guarantee that this wasn't just New York attitude. I was just at the end of week in New York, and I'm pretty sure I had acclimatised. And I've no problem with needing ID to use a credit card - that's fair enough. But I have a problem with being lectured by someone who was well aware that I couldn't leave because he held my card in his hand. I do also have an issue with the layout of the cash and credit card payment kiosks in B+H, but that's another story...

I just wanted to raise one comment to say that B+H may well be great, but sometimes there is a downside to visiting the most popular camera store in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

...I was then treated to a two minute lecture on how stupid I was to try and use the card without any ID.

Please tell me that it's not just me that's felt this??? Do I have a shifty look or something...

Like I said, they're serious folk and have a 0 sense of humour. This equates to fairly poor customer-facing skills, so I'd be with you on that. Didn't get a lecture, but could see how it may have happened. Definitely an 'Oy Vey' moment when I couldn't understand what the cashier was saying to me about signing for the purchase.

@DK I spent just short of 2K there last year and there definately wasn't freebies or discounts on the go.

Credit Crunch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

@Trish: The last time I was in b&h I got a discount, however it was on about $500 worth of camera stuff, next time I'm there in January I'm hoping to pick up a good bit more. As someone said, there's absolutely no harm in asking. I worked in a store selling canon, nikon and sigma gear and realise that even in this country there's an impressive amount of space for discounts. EVERYONE who came into the shop haggled too, and it's a large electronics retailer here, not some small family run organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

outspann wrote: »
    I do also have an issue with the layout of the cash and credit card payment kiosks in B+H, but that's another story...

Ah, but you have to realise that the whole arrangement has little to do with inconveniencing or conveniencing the customer. It's efficient from a stock POV, but its huge bonus for retailers is that, as argos have discovered aswell, it makes it very difficult for the actual employees to rip off the store, either by outright theft, or stock 'mishandling' (ahem ahem) or by offering unauthorized discounts to buddies etc etc. I've heard that's actually one of the main reasons for the layout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 HelenOster

Carrigman wrote: »
    Adorama at 42 West 18th Street ..... is another very reputable store. It too is run by Hasidic Jews so check the website for opening hours as they will be closed on Jewish holidays.

http://www.adorama.com/

Thanks so much for the feedback - very much appreciated!

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adorama.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭quotaj

My friend has offered to pick me up a camera in New York too so was about to post a similar thread to this. I'll check out those stores. Is there any problem with tax/duty when bringing the camera back in? (I've never been to america...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Helen has been watching us....wonder if she checks in on Macedonian photography forums?
    Or maybe she just loves the gift o' the gab of Irishmen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

outspann wrote: »
    I've written and rewritten this reply a number of times as I'm trying to be very careful as to how I phrase my point: but I've never enjoyed my shopping experience in B+H.

It's a fantastically well stocked shop, with an amazing selection and great prices, but the few times I've been there I've felt like I'm on the worlds rudest conveyor belt. And yet every time I read about B+H, it's "the best camera shop in the WORRRLLLDDDDD!"

Last month, I was going to buy a fairly decent lens, went through the whole ordering process, downstairs to pay, only to be informed that I needed identification if I wanted to use my credit card. I was then treated to a two minute lecture on how stupid I was to try and use the card without any ID. My annoyance was only heightened by the fact that he wouldn't give me back my card until he finished his speech - meaning that short of diving over the counter to grab it out of his hand, I had to stay there until he ran out of steam.

Bit like flying with ryanair - no frills whatsoever!

quotaj wrote: »
    My friend has offered to pick me up a camera in New York too so was about to post a similar thread to this. I'll check out those stores. Is there any problem with tax/duty when bringing the camera back in? (I've never been to america...)

You maybe want to check out this site:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878a.html

Helen has been watching us....wonder if she checks in on Macedonian photography forums?
    Or maybe she just loves the gift o' the gab of Irishmen!

You'll find me on any forum that mentions Adorama - whether coming from Australia, Singapore, South America..... I'd probably struggle a bit with the language on a Macedonian forum!

BTW my great grandmother was Irish!

Helen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

HelenOster wrote: »
    You maybe want to check out this site:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878a.html

You'll find me on any forum that mentions Adorama - whether coming from Australia, Singapore, South America..... I'd probably struggle a bit with the language on a Macedonian forum!

Helen

Do Boards.ie get a discount??? :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Helen

Do you Google Adorama to see where the name is being used then?

landyman wrote: »
    Do Boards.ie get a discount??? :D:D:D:D

What we can offer is an affiliate scheme, which would give 3% back to the mod / admin. It's then up to him / her to decide how to use it.

Helen Oster

www.adorama.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

What we can offer is an affiliate scheme, which would give 3% back to the mod / admin. It's then up to him / her to decide how to use it.

Helen Oster

www.adorama.com

Would be worth it for group buys...
    Thanks Helen :D

• Advertisement

mrboswell wrote: »
    Would be worth it for group buys...
    Thanks Helen :D

Ask your mod / admin to contact me directly and I can send out the info required.

Helen Oster

Advertisement