Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maize

Options
  • 14-10-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I could get good quality flaked maize which would be suitable for horses?

(Please note, I'm not planning on feeding much of it to horses, just the odd fistful every now and again for a bit of variety and to help their coats as suggested by a vet.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

redmills used to do it sure they still might
    so many people using balanced mixes it may not be worth their while now
    try agricultural feed merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

RedMills still do a flaked maize. I used to use it all the time, but recently it's been very dusty so I don't want to feed it to the horses... Was hoping someone may know of somewhere else I might be able to get it.

Thanks for your reply, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Whereabouts are you based?

I know a couple of feed mills that do it. Liffey Mills still do it as well I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Thanks Ali. Anywhere around Wexford, Carlow, Wicklow, Kildare and Dublin would be the handiest for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

maybe if it is dusty you could mix oil in with it, should make them less dusty.

i'm sure you give them lots of different oil supplements, ours get caron (not spelt right!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

maize is gd for horses--putting a shine on them!
    but be carefull--as to much-will leave to itchy problems with ur said animal..so i have been informed!
    we use to feed it--with 2 parts oats+1 part barley! to our mares..infoal over the winters!
    ur local agri merchant should hav it..flaked maize!
    made in tyrone!
    there's also crunched maize! is not cooked!just mulched..feed less of this to an animal!

Advertisement