Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else think the WC qualifiers have been completely bizarre?

• 14-10-2009 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Firstly, the only teams to finish unbeaten were Germany, Italy, Holland, Spain....and the Republic of Ireland. But despite that impressive record Ireland have the lowest points total of all the 2nd placed teams. We've reached the play-offs even though our only victories in the entire campaign came against Cyprus and Georgia. Our record against Italy, Bulgaria and Montenegro stands as P6, W0, D6, L0

The seeds were tossed completely upside down too. Poland came top of their table in the Euro 08 qualifiers and took part in the 06 World Cup too....and ended up 5th in their group. The team that topped said group were 4th seeds Slovakia, with 5th seeds Slovenia making the playoffs.

Only 4 of the top 9 seeds actually finished top of their group, Italy, Germany, Holland and Spain. France, Portugal and Greece made the playoffs while Croatia and Czech Rep were knocked out completely.

Of the 9 2nd seeds, only two teams finished in the top two of their group, England who qualified automatically and Russia who came 2nd. Turkey, Scotland, Romania, Sweden, Israel, Poland and Bulgaria are all gone.

Switzerland qualified for the WC top of their table even though they suffered an embarrasing defeat to Luxembourg.

It's a bit all over the place around the continents too. Argentina are 90 minutes away from suffering elimination before South Africa even begins, North Korea have qualified for the first time since 1966, Australia qualified via Asia while either New Zealand or Bahrain will also qualify, depending on who wins their playoff.

Seriously, it's all been a bit mad hasn't it?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Daysha wrote: »
    But despite that impressive record Ireland have the lowest points total of all the 2nd placed teams.
    2nd lowest actually, we wouldn't be in the playoffs if we were lowest, that honour went to Norway

But I agree with you, plenty of odd results, all the better for the game in my opinion though

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

2nd lowest actually, we wouldn't be in the playoffs if we were lowest, that honour went to Norway

Sorry yeah, meant to say lowest of all the teams in groups of 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Nice post mate and some really interesting findings!

I think it's just the sign of the times that a lot of the big players in the so called top teams simply put club interests before their international duties and don't exert themselves or risk injuries that could compromise their position at club level! Money is slowly ruining the game!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

But despite that impressive record Ireland have the lowest points total of all the 2nd placed teams.
    But what you seem to be forgetting is that we had already qualified with a game left to play so tonight was only an exercise in keeping an unbeaten record.

Tonight would've been a different match if we had of needed the win. Can't say for definite if we would've had gotten the 3 pts. but we certainly would've fielded a totally different team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it signifies that there aren't a lot of great quality teams around at the moment. Here is the current list of the top 10 teams in the world...

1. Brazil
    2. Spain
    3. Netherlands
    4. Italy
    = Germany
    6. Russia
    7. England
    8. Argentina
    9. Croatia
    10. France

Italy aren't at the level they were three years ago, France's difficulties are well known, Argentina have been all over the shop and Croatia didn't qualify. There's a few teams on a different level to the rest but then there's a sharp drop-off.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    But what you seem to be forgetting is that we had already qualified with a game left to play so tonight was only an exercise in keeping an unbeaten record.

Tonight would've been a different match if we had of needed the win. Can't say for definite if we would've had gotten the 3 pts. but we certainly would've fielded a totally different team.

Oh I completely understand that, but I'm just taking the facts for what they are and what they'll show all those years down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Oh I completely understand that, but I'm just taking the facts for what they are and what they'll show all those years down the line.
    Well I suppose it's just proof that facts always need to be taken in the right context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

International football is always goes in these cycles anyway...

You have the top teams in the world.. Brazils, Germanys, Hollands etc who have a wealth of talent all the time and rarely miss a tournament.

The rest of the countries only seem to get a good batch of players for a 4 to 8 year period, then they suddenly don't have the talent coming through to replace them and miss a few competitions...

Ireland have suffered from this post Italia '90 / USA '94 period. Czech Republic look like they are going through this at the moment as well.

I also think that the so-called smaller nations (a lot of them from the break-up of Russia, Czechslovkia, Yugoslavia etc in Europe) are becoming a lot stronger and will be forces to be reckoned with... Basically, the gap is getting smaller between the traditional top and lesser nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

International football is always goes in these cycles anyway...

You have the top teams in the world.. Brazils, Germanys, Hollands etc who have a wealth of talent all the time and rarely miss a tournament.

The rest of the countries only seem to get a good batch of players for a 4 to 8 year period, then they suddenly don't have the talent coming through to replace them and miss a few competitions...

Ireland have suffered from this post Italia '90 / USA '94 period. Czech Republic look like they are going through this at the moment as well.

I also think that the so-called smaller nations (a lot of them from the break-up of Russia, Czechslovkia, Yugoslavia etc in Europe) are becoming a lot stronger and will be forces to be reckoned with... Basically, the gap is getting smaller between the traditional top and lesser nations.

I agree with this completely, especially on the Yugoslavia front.

Breakup_of_Yugoslavia.gif

Yugoslavia used to be a good side who could take the best talent from throughout the country and field their team. Break that country up into seven or eight countries and now each one might only have one top player, two if they're lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Firstly, the only teams to finish unbeaten were Germany, Italy, Holland, Spain....and the Republic of Ireland. But despite that impressive record Ireland have the lowest points total of all the 2nd placed teams. We've reached the play-offs even though our only victories in the entire campaign came against Cyprus and Georgia. Our record against Italy, Bulgaria and Montenegro stands as P6, W0, D6, L0

The seeds were tossed completely upside down too. Poland came top of their table in the Euro 08 qualifiers and took part in the 06 World Cup too....and ended up 5th in their group. The team that topped said group were 4th seeds Slovakia, with 5th seeds Slovenia making the playoffs.

Only 4 of the top 9 seeds actually finished top of their group, Italy, Germany, Holland and Spain. France, Portugal and Greece made the playoffs while Croatia and Czech Rep were knocked out completely.

Of the 9 2nd seeds, only two teams finished in the top two of their group, England who qualified automatically and Russia who came 2nd. Turkey, Scotland, Romania, Sweden, Israel, Poland and Bulgaria are all gone.

Switzerland qualified for the WC top of their table even though they suffered an embarrasing defeat to Luxembourg.

It's a bit all over the place around the continents too. Argentina are 90 minutes away from suffering elimination before South Africa even begins, North Korea have qualified for the first time since 1966, Australia qualified via Asia while either New Zealand or Bahrain will also qualify, depending on who wins their playoff.

You posted this exact same topic on Gamefaqs' football board.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=584743&topic=51782148

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    You posted this exact same topic on Gamefaqs' football board.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=584743&topic=51782148

And? I cross-post all the time, it's always good to get different opinions and all that.

Next years World Cup is between Spain and Brazil imo, with England, Germany and Holland just behind them. The qualifiers so far show they've been the strongest.

And? I cross-post all the time, it's always good to get different opinions and all that.

Next years World Cup is between Spain and Brazil imo, with England, Germany and Holland just behind them. The qualifiers so far show they've been the strongest.

And? And you're a lazy fecker thats what. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Sometimes being brilliant in qualifying means little in relation to the tournament. Plenty of times in history a team has flown through qualifying only to flop in the world cup/euros. Plus Brazil, Germany and Italy are examples of teams who have crept through qualifying only to go on and win or make the final. Things could be very different next June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

I haven't been following the other groups that closely but I thought the last round of games threw up some surprises. I guess it's just that most of the teams didn't really care as much since most of the standings were really set in stone by that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

...and so I dream of the following group at next summers world cup...

Slovakia
    Ireland
    Bahrain
    Honduras

...after beating Greece on penos in the play-off of course ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

...and so I dream of the following group at next summers world cup...

Slovakia
    Ireland
    Bahrain
    Honduras

...after beating Greece on penos in the play-off of course ;)
    We'd nick second after 2 draws and a dodgy 1-0 win over Bahrain :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

A dream group but wouldn't seeding prevent such a draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

It's been said many times in different contexts but

THIS IS FOOTBALL

briany wrote: »
    A dream group but wouldn't seeding prevent such a draw?

It would yeah, but South Africa will be first seeds as hosts so they'd be a handy one to get for any team (remember when S.Korea and Japan were 1st seeds in 02?). Assuming it'll be based on world rankings and the draw were to take place tomorrow the top seeds would be...

Brazil
    Spain
    Holland
    Germany
    Italy
    Russia
    England
    South Africa

The second seeds would automatically be every other European team in the draw, since they can't have more than 2 European teams in a single group. That would be...

Switzerland
    Slovakia
    Denmark
    Serbia
    The 4 play off winners

In 06 they just split the other 2 groups based on their continent (N.America and Asia in one pot, S.America and Africa in the other) so they could do something similar there.

In a dreamworld any of the 2nd seeds and not just ourselves if we make it could technically be looking at a group including S.Africa, Honduras and Chile.

Edit: aaand I've just realised that if Russia qualify there'd only be 3 playoffs winners in the 2nd pot, ah well, you get the drift!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The second seeds would automatically be every other European team in the draw, since they can't have more than 2 European teams in a single group. That would be...

Um, what do you mean? It's frequently 2 European team in WC groups, unless I've taken you up wrong.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Um, what do you mean? It's frequently 2 European team in WC groups, unless I've taken you up wrong.

Exactly, so as he said, 'not more than two'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

noodler wrote: »
    Exactly, so as he said, 'not more than two'.

Yep, I did indeed misinterpret what he said.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't think they would automatically be second seeds though, it would just restrict what group they could be drawn in, the same way that 2 teams from the same country can't be in the same group in the champs league, and there would be a group redraw if 3 were drawn in the same group.

Edit: Have the rules on this changed? In 1994 and 1990 we were in a group with 3 European teams in it in the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I loved James Richardson's description of the final round of qualifiers. He said that it was "littered with dead rubbers like Dwight Yorke's bedroom on a Sunday morning" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Sometimes being brilliant in qualifying means little in relation to the tournament. Plenty of times in history a team has flown through qualifying only to flop in the world cup/euros. Plus Brazil, Germany and Italy are examples of teams who have crept through qualifying only to go on and win or make the final. Things could be very different next June

Gotta agree with this.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Italy went on to win it.

5starpool wrote: »
    Edit: Have the rules on this changed? In 1994 and 1990 we were in a group with 3 European teams in it in the WC.

Well back then there were only 24 teams in the competition, yet there were still 13 European teams, so they had no choice but to put 3 European teams in one group. But since it's expanded to 32 it's always been the case that no more than 2 European countries can share the same group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Do you not think tho if we needed to win against montenegro we would of put out a full strength team and won that would have us mid table of the 9 2nd placed teams and only two points off russia on top!

Advertisement