Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big €70,000 performance bonus

Options
  • 14-10-2009 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Why would anyone who ran a service that was well into grinding to a halt and only got worse get a performance bonus. There were plenty of people lying on trollies and the public service embargo on staff was up and running due to lack of funding apparently in 2007. I thought agreed contract bonus was performance related. Who checked this performance and said it was worth a bonus. Is there any documentation on this bonus worthy performance. If so Id like to see it as I am paying part of this bonus.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

i remember only 2 years ago complaining on these forums about his bonus payments and some said that he deserved it for all his hard work..they were serious too.

but hey, this is ireland.what do you expect? we reward incompetence here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I think the contract read something like... "for every hospital bed you close, we the State, will give you €1. For every regional cancer service you shut down, we will give you €10,000. Please sign here _____________"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Why is anyone surprised? Brendan Drumm is one of the elite doing Harney's bidding and must be rewarded. Never mind that his bonus would pay 2 nurses' salaries for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JoePhandango

"Fine Gael health spokemsan Dr James Reilly said the bonus payment was unjustifiable "at a time when the health budget is being slashed, beds are being closed and the worst symptoms of the health services are getting even worse".“A €70,000 bonus, twice the average industrial wage, on top of a €320,000 salary for the head of our broken health service is outrageous at a time when 300 patients were lying on trolleys around the country yesterday, 9,000 operations were cancelled in the first half of the year and there has been a 70 per cent increase in delayed discharges."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1014/breaking33.htm

Could you live with yourself for taking home a bonus that that if spent on trivial things like cervical cancer vaccine or maybe an operation or 10 could save some lives?? I know I couldn't. Drumm, like most other top civil servants needs to seriously consider his position here. His salary is already totally offensive to me and I'm sure others.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

This man is a greedy wee s****!!!!

http://www.independent.ie/health/latest-news/drumm-to-accept-euro70000-bonus-despite-public-fury-1914121.html

Seriously I am incandescent with rage at this, the man must have the moral compass of a loan shark, never mind the bonus, if the reports are accurate this guy is getting paid considerably more than his counterparts in the UK and USA !

And here again we see the Irish government with its finger firmly planted..... up its ass... refusing to take any action.

Really, what will it take to put an end to this lunacy !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

The head of the HSE is responsible for spending about €75million of public money every working day. That's a huge responsibility and a 70K bonus is a small reward at that level of management. The difference between good and bad performance will cost or save the state billions - let alone the lives of patients. Part of the job involves being pilloried by joe duffy morons who will personally blame him for every anecdotal sob story.

The Euro Health Consumer Index http://www.healthpowerhouse.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=36&Itemid=55 now rates the Irish health system 13th out of 33 countries based on outputs such as waiting times and surgical outcomes. Compare that to 2006 when we came 28th out of 29 countries, when the authors noted that we put a huge amount in and got very little out of our health service.

I did wonder when Brendan Drumm was appointed why they had chosen an academic medical consultant with no managerial experience for one of the largest managerial jobs in the country but I have to admit he's done well so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

crocro wrote: »
    The difference between good and bad performance will cost or save the state billions - let alone the lives of patients.
    The Euro Health Consumer Index http://www.healthpowerhouse.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=36&Itemid=55 now rates the Irish health system 13th out of 33 countries based on outputs such as waiting times and surgical outcomes. Compare that to 2006 when we came 28th out of 29 countries

Fair point re improvements, Crocro, but I'll make one correction, and ask if €70K is appropriate to pay when it's the difference between dire and bad peformance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

For the head of a health service, that the Department of Health has instructed to make 800 million euros of cuts in 2010, to recieve a 70,000 euro bonus is obscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Although Drumm did not deserve his bonus and nor does he deserve his high salary, the blame must lie with Harney. Obviously Drumm identified his superiors as a shower of muppets and was able to exploit this with his bionus claim in 2007.

If you had complete incompetent superiors, would you not negotiate a ludicrous salary and insist on bonuses iif you could get away with it, like he has?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

sure isn't he "entitled" to it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

kbannon wrote: »
    sure isn't he "entitled" to it! :D

from todays indo it looks like he doesnt want to pay the bonus back. Maybe himself and JOD can go on a big holiday with it. Although where could you go and waste 70k on a holiday -mmmm I am sure JOD will have no problem spending the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I cannot fathom why this man should even be paid let alone get bonuses. I spent 9 hours waiting in A&E at Tallaght Hospital last night and ended up walking out (after demanding and getting a refund of the pathetic €100 "Service" Charge).

The staffs response to my complaints "Ah sure thats the norm" was quite shocking. My last experience of A&E was with my mother 3 years ago when she was critically ill and she spend 5 hours waiting at Vincents before anyone saw her and realised just how ill she was. The so called Health Service is going backwards at a pace that is quite frightening and the bloated HSE Admin still have the snouts firmly in the trough without delivering what I can see is even a basic service anymore.

This is Bertie Aherns real legacy to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

http://www.publicjobs.ie/cand/default.asp?hdndest=JOBLISTING&hdnLang=ENGLISH&hdnSource=&hdnmode=VIEW&hdnauth=ADMIN&hdnGUID=
    View this link and click on medical consultants.
    Where in God's name is the money coming from for those salaries? Relative to the hours that are required for each job?
    That's what our taxes are paying for.
    Disgraceful.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

The head of the HSE is responsible for spending about €75million of public money every working day.
    Riddle me this: if every taxpayer is handing over approximately €38 per day for the health service, why does everyone have private health insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Charisma wrote: »
    Why would anyone who ran a service that was well into grinding to a halt and only got worse get a performance bonus. There were plenty of people lying on trollies and the public service embargo on staff was up and running due to lack of funding apparently in 2007. I thought agreed contract bonus was performance related. Who checked this performance and said it was worth a bonus. Is there any documentation on this bonus worthy performance. If so Id like to see it as I am paying part of this bonus.

Because he's doing a good job in furthering Harney's wish to see the public health service destroyed and the private hospitals run by her friends thrive

Advertisement