Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alaskan Klee Kai

Options
  • 14-10-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭

Basically my girlfriend looking into getting one of these and has hit a huge dead end in where she can get one.

I've googled and googled but the only sites I can find are seriously unreputable looking ones that I would imagine are farms or people who haven't a clue what they're doing. We're looking to purchase from a reputable breeder who knows what they're doing and won't sell unless they know the dog will be well looked after, home and exercise wise.

I know when we got our first dog that we had to go meet with the breeder twice before we were allowed purchase, to make sure the breeder knew what we were getting into.

I'm fully aware that they are a very energetic dog that requires quite large amounts of exercise, e.g. several hours walking/running a day. Also of the fact that they are a very social dog which need a lot of attention, which is fine as the house nearly always has 2+ people in it.

Something which will be fully catered for and they require a large living space, which is secure as I know they like to dig, something else that will be catered for.

So basically my question is does anyone know of or could put me in touch with any breeders of this particular dog?

Your help is much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have you tried contacting the IKC? or even the KC in England?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ive never heard or seen this breed in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Weirdly, I was talking to someone last night about two dogs that could possibly be Klee Kais. I took one out of a Dublin pound at the beginning of July, thinking that she was a siberian husky puppy but she has just never grown. Another one that again, was thought was a husky puppy turned up in Dublin a couple of weeks ago, is safe in rescue. The vet was astounded when he looked in her mouth, expected to see puppy teeth, but instead saw very mature adult teeth. We are wondering if the two are related, as it is so unusual to see two small siberian husky looking dogs.

I don't think they are Klee Kais, what are the chances of them being dumped like that? but check out Shura, the husky cross on Dogs in Distress, see what you think, and the one I have in rescue here is red and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The breed was developed in Wasilla, Alaska during the mid-1970s by Linda S. Spurlin after she observed the result of an accidental mating of an Alaskan Husky and an unknown small dog. The breed was developed with Siberian and Alaskan Huskies using Schipperke and American Eskimo Dog to bring down the size without dwarfism. She bred these dogs in private until she released them to the general public in 1988. Originally called the "Klee Kai", the breed split into "Alaskan Klee Kai" and "Klee Kai" for political reasons in 1995. The breed consolidated under the new name in 2002. The Alaskan Klee Kai was officially recognized by the American Rare Breed Association (ARBA) in 1995 and by the United Kennel Club (UKC) on January 1, 1997.

not a breed then.

Get yourself a proper,ancient and endangered breed instead, the Wolfsspitz (aka Keeshond)

800px-Wolfsspitz_Curly_von_der_L%C3%A4rchenh%C3%B6he.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

star-pants wrote: »
    Have you tried contacting the IKC? or even the KC in England?

Had a look on the IKC there now, doesn't seem to be anything relevant. Good resource and something that didn;t come up when I was googling...
    peasant wrote: »
    Get yourself a proper,ancient and endangered breed instead, the Wolfsspitz (aka Keeshond)

That's a nice looking dog. The fact that it's endangered suggests it would be hard to come by and expensive though no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Sorry Frisbee I should have said by contacting I meant calling - as I know their website needs a lot of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Frisbee wrote: »
    That's a nice looking dog. The fact that it's endangered suggests it would be hard to come by and expensive though no?

Shouldn't be any harder or more expensive than your elusive designer dog.
    Plus, as it is an internationally recognised and registered breed, chances are you will actually find a reputable breeder and information through the kennel clubs

PS ..the breed is not so much "endangered" but currently "unfashionable"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

star-pants wrote: »
    Sorry Frisbee I should have said by contacting I meant calling - as I know their website needs a lot of info.

Cool, will get on that tomorrow. The website does seem fairly dated.
    peasant wrote: »
    Shouldn't be any harder or more expensive than your elusive designer dog.
    Plus, as it is an internationally recognised and registered breed, chances are you will actually find a reputable breeder and information through the kennel clubs

PS ..the breed is not so much "endangered" but currently "unfashionable"

Cheers .
    As for the 'designer breed' thing, tell me about it, don't know why they're family couldn't have just gone for a nice lab or rottweiler or something...

Advertisement