Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Ber

Options
  • 15-10-2009 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Well fellow assessors, I am a just about to register as commercial ber assessor level 3. Just wondering on how others are finding it and i got asked to do a commercial property already a 220 metre squared pharmacy. Any ideas what level this would be? any theories appriceated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 digestive

Congratulations,
    With all due respect if your wondering about this at level 3 stage you really shouldn't be in a position to be carrying out non domestic BERs. There is clear guide lines on how to categorize a level 3, level 4 and level 5 non domestic building.

I won't be going into categorizing details with this reply but I suggest you go back to the drawing board and review your course material. What may appear as a level 3 building could easily turn out to be a level 4. You need to be very careful. If your audited re your level 3 pharmacy and it is actually a level 4 you will need good PI insurance. Good luck

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

digestive wrote: »
    Congratulations,
    With all due respect if your wondering about this at level 3 stage you really shouldn't be in a position to be carrying out non domestic BERs. There is clear guide lines on how to categorize a level 3, level 4 and level 5 non domestic building.

I won't be going into categorizing details with this reply but I suggest you go back to the drawing board and review your course material. What may appear as a level 3 building could easily turn out to be a level 4. You need to be very careful. If your audited re your level 3 pharmacy and it is actually a level 4 you will need good PI insurance. Good luck

digestive....

i suggest you go back and have a read of the levels...

the only difference between level 3 and level 4 is that level 3 is for simplified EXISTING buildings only.

level 4 is for NEW and EXISTING buildings.

Im sure the assessor would know the difference between new and existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 maestro2009

Thanks for the reply, But clear guide lines are you serious... I know the guidelines inside out and they are very vague to say the least. My Problem is i get called to do a Existing Building and it is right on the border between a level 3 and 4 by what the client tells me as most clents are not going to be able to tell me over the phone that their boiler is bigger than a 100kw or their cooling loads dont exceed 12kw. This means i end up going to survey the building meaning it could be a level 4 quite easily and ends up as a completely wasted trip. Also why dont level 3 assessors take a different exam than level 4 assessors, Cause if i passed the exam which both levels take, why shouldnt i submit level 4 buildings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

The difference between level 3 and 4 is "new" and "existing" so boiler size are cooling load won't come into that

You simply need to ask - is the building let or otherwise in use. If the answer is yes - it's existing . If the building has never been let or used - it's new .

So the boiler size cooling load is a marker between 3/4 and 5

So - rule of thumb - allowing 200w/m2 , a building would have to be in the region of 500m2 to require a 100kw boiler .

So 2 simple questions -
    approx m2/ft2 -
    is the building / has the building been used already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Mastero what are your qualifications, the rules for level 3 & 4 assessors have changed recently, you may be elligible to register for level 4. I know a friend of mine who is an RIAI Tech was able to do this recently when I told him about the change in accecptable qualifications and equlivant qualifications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 maestro2009

Note:
    1. Level 3 only applies to existing non domestic buildings with frequently occurring characteristics.
    2. Level 3 does not include new non domestic buildings.
    3. Frequently occurring characteristics:
      1. Simple heating systems (Boiler Systems <100kW)
      2. Simple natural ventilation
      3. Small comfort cooling systems (up to 12kW)
      4. Typical fabric as defined in the approved methodology
    Im a graduate Building services engineer level 7 so thats why i am restricted to level 3.
    Already there has been three different interpretations of the rules in this thread.
    So would level 4 be the exact same as level 3 only for the building has been in use? E.g I went to do a 220 m sq pharmacy that was put up for rent an existing building obviously but I had to turn it down as the pharmacy was heated and cooled by fan coil units, 4 to be exact. This meant that cooling load existed more than 12kw i presumed so i couldnt do the Ber for it. Was i correct in this instance? Thanks for the replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I see what you mean . There are 2 interpretations as I see it

1. Small comfort cooling systems (up to 12kW each ) would make it 3 ( if existing ) or 4 ( if new )

2. Small comfort cooling systems ( totalling up to 12kW) would make it 5

Advertisement