Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Revision Book

Options
  • 15-10-2009 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

I'm considering getting a Biology revision book to aid my study. I have to decide between Revise Wise, Less stress, or Rapid revision. Which of these would be worth buying? If there are any other books I'm unaware of, do tell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Get the rapid revision...its much better for bio..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Fire_with_fire

This is pretty good - No picture though: http://www.schoolbooks.ie/305321-Celtic+Press+Essentials+Unfolded+-+Biology+-+Leaving+Cert+Higher+%26+Ordinary+Level+School+Book

Definitely NOT a full revision but it does have all the diagrams that you need for the paper and nearly all of the definitions!

I don't know of any good revision books, Revise wise is okay but still, it's missing stuff which is important like! It's stuff on genetics isn't great!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

i used revise wise last year and managed a B1, i learned purely out of the revision book! i think its really well layed out and explained!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭marblesolutions

Would not advise you use any of them. Biology exam is too broad and these books leave out too much detail.
    Revise wise is very good for Chemistry though if you are studying that.!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

i find the revise wise for biology quite good myself. it cuts out all the unnecessary ****e in the textbook and still remains pretty comprehensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mirror Image

Rapid revison is good. But our teacher pointed out a few wee mistakes in it though. It is really good for revising the experiments.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

This is pretty good - No picture though: http://www.schoolbooks.ie/305321-Celtic+Press+Essentials+Unfolded+-+Biology+-+Leaving+Cert+Higher+%26+Ordinary+Level+School+Book

Definitely NOT a full revision but it does have all the diagrams that you need for the paper and nearly all of the definitions!

I don't know of any good revision books, Revise wise is okay but still, it's missing stuff which is important like! It's stuff on genetics isn't great!

Looks good! Seems to highlight the key material. Not only that but its cheap. How is it on the experiments?

I'll have to have a glance at the Revise wise and rapid revision ones when I pop into Dublin sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i certainly think you can just study from the revision book, rapid revision is very good , even it has extra parts in it, or padding! my teacher last year gave us notes with less than in that book, thats all i studied and i got an A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shadub

Revise Wise. I got a D1 in the pre and I started using Revise Wise at the beginning of May and I got an A2 in the leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

That little Celtic Press thing is pretty good for the bare minimum stuff. You'd need to have a fair understanding of things in general for it to have any meaning, but I'd definitely recommend it! It does the experiments out quite well too, for, again, just going over the bare essentials/key points of the experiment. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

I'd have to agree - the Celtic Press one is, in the words of my teacher, deadly. It's very short and literally has the essentials. Apparently, if you know it back to front, you have a very high chance of doing well - tried and tested in my school :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

Revise Wise. My teacher has given notes from it and they're fairly good. I used to study only from the book, but lately I've just been using those notes, and I've been doing good.

Advertisement