Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bangers (the firework type...)

• 15-10-2009 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Popping round everywhere here...

Any bad memories of your mates fingers been blown off or how much they piss you off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You should never stick a banger up your arse at halloween

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

anytime of the year at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I miss fireworks. They rarely miss me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Where my mother lives in Santry we used to have a really hard time with fireworks and bangers around this time as our house backed onto a large field which would be populated by all the unruley youths in the evening with their illegals.

For the past 2 years the field has become home to a group of travellers. There's no more problems with bangers and fireworks from local youths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

used to have a laugh with them when i was a kid but didnt do anything stupid. kids go too far nowadays throwing them through the letterboxes of old folk:mad:

• Advertisement

Jim wrote: »
    Where my mother lives in Santry we used to have a really hard time with fireworks and bangers around this time as our house backed onto a large field which would be populated by all the unruley youths in the evening with their illegals.

For the past 2 years the field has become home to a group of travellers. There's no more problems with bangers and fireworks from local youths.

apparently they're selling them...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What is it with bangers? Are they cheaper or something? I actually like fireworks (to be set off on halloween and halloween only) but why are those stupid things popular, and going off weeks before said night, I agree, there pointless :P

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Back in 1992 we threw some off the canal bridge at the ravers.
    One landed beside their stereo and blew the tape door off. The tape flew about 15 feet.
    Then one of them started on my friend and got his ass kicked.
    Being a teenager was fun.

My friend's nephew broke a couple of bones in his hand last week by trying to be a hero and holding a banger.
    Dear lord, that kid is thick as ****.

Do they still sell them on Moore street?
    I walked by there about 3 weeks ago and it has all changed. Nobody offered me any bananas or apples and they don't have those shoe stalls at the back of the Ilac any more either. I had a McDonalds though. That was nice. Apart from the chick who kept trying to clean my table while I was still eating. A double quarter pounder meal, 6 nuggets, a hamburger and extra fries doesn't ****ing eat itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

I live under an airliner flight path into Dublin airport. Sometimes they swing low over the houses. Last Halloween, the game was to try shoot down a 747. Yes, there are morons out here.

The amount of dead hedghogs that show up with bits blown off. Neighbours dog lost it's face after someone lobbed a banger over the back wall.... dog snapped it up. Had to be put down.

The scrotes responsible for that deserve to be sodomised with a box of lit Black Cats.

I liked that dog.

they still sell knock off gear at the back of the ilac

• Advertisement

17 years and no rave at the canal? lets get this sorted

they still sell knock off gear at the back of the ilac
    Do they still sell Doc Martens?
    That was the only place I could ever get them in my size (Child's 4).

Dartz wrote: »
    I live under an airliner flight path into Dublin airport. Sometimes they swing low over the houses. Last Halloween, the game was to try shoot down a 747. Yes, there are morons out here.

The amount of dead hedghogs that show up with bits blown off. Neighbours dog lost it's face after someone lobbed a banger over the back wall.... dog snapped it up. Had to be put down.

The scrotes responsible for that deserve to be sodomised with a box of lit Black Cats.

I liked that dog.

Some sickos out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

2 haloweens ago.
    The lads i used to hang around with were in the park or what have ya. I was in the pub got a call askin me to come out. Spent 40 mins helping paramedics and several mates look for someones finger. After that I got hungry, went to the chipper and then back to the pub

Terry wrote: »
    Do they still sell Doc Martens?
    That was the only place I could ever get them in my size (Child's 4).

dont know, im a size 12 (adult)

mattfender wrote: »
    17 years and no rave at the canal? lets get this sorted
    It was Confey station, not Louisa bridge.
    I think we scared them off.
    I'll have to ask them. We're all grown up now and do do petty kid stuff.
    It was funny as **** though.
    dont know, im a size 12 (adult)
    Ooh. Look at Mr. bigfoot.
    I'm an 11. Ask for Peggy.
    I want the 14 hole. I'll settle for 12.

It was Confey station, not Louisa bridge.
    I think we scared them off.
    I'll have to ask them. We're all grown up now and do do petty kid stuff.
    It was funny as **** though.

I is from Confey. Now they all have noisy cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Ahh, I used to love bangers. Nothing like a mini war between all your mates in the weeks coming up to halloween.
    Best of all was the big rockets that you'd shoot out of a piece of gutter pipe with a handle and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

When I was a kid "bangers" meant 2 things;

1. Fireworks (in southsider language)
    or
    2. Someone who played on your soccer/ GAA team who was over the age of the team you were playing for (usually someone who'd guarantee you a win)

No.1 should never be stuck up your ars*.

No.2 - blah. How much do you want to beat an under 14's team, you sad tw*t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

mattfender wrote: »
    Popping round everywhere here...

Any bad memories of your mates fingers been blown off or how much they piss you off?
    one idiot took all the gunpowder out an light it on th ground and got 3rd degree burns

besides that....just randow fireworks getting thrown in a fire....

roman candle fights

ohh and the time a 70 shot repeater fell over after ten and nearly hit us about 60 times....

great times though :rolleyes:

ohh and you cant forget blowing up ppl leter boxs.... in the country obviously... ones on fences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I remember I was about 12 and we were training (football) and some fat-**** nonchalantly throws a banger onto the pitch as he strolls by. Landed right between me and the defender! I mean... who throws a banger at some kids playing football?

He is probably impotent right now so I can take solace in that at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I mean... who throws a banger at some kids playing football?

The UVF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I remember I was about 12 and we were training (football) and some fat-**** nonchalantly throws a banger onto the pitch as he strolls by. Landed right between me and the defender! I mean... who throws a banger at some kids playing football?

He is probably impotent right now so I can take solace in that at least...

same thing happened to me in school a few years ago! :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Someone let one off in Croker this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No bad stories thank god lots heard though.

I never understood bangers. Alway thought them to be sh1t. Rockets,screamers all that stuff I got but bangers. Stupid...

Additionally I have never met a kid that has not turned mischevious with bangers. Weather its blowing up bottles,Rabbits,Letterboxes or tapeing to windows.

In fact I say it now if you buy your kids bangers this year your a direct contributor. Buy them rockets. or better still buy them sparkles.

I use to have a neighbour that was a janitor in temple street that was 20 years ago even then there was loads of people in from the begin of october with damage. They seem to go from september now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I dont see why the goverment does not just make fireworks legal. They are very easy to come by and not very well policed. Some extra revenue would do no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I remember a few years ago when I was in school there were a few younger pupils playing handball in a handball alley so I thrown in a rocket at them and closed the door.
    Im quietened down a good bit now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I fucking hate bangers, my dog was in the garden once and almost ate one that hadn't gone off yet. My other dog is terrified of them and they're loud and annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Bangers pff. Throw some pressurised cans (lynx etc.) on to a fire.
    phasers wrote: »
    I ****ing hate bangers, my dog was in the garden once and almost ate one that hadn't gone off yet. My other dog is terrified of them and they're loud and annoying

Aren't most dogs really afraid of fireworks? I know any dog I had they were.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dancor wrote: »
    I dont see why the goverment does not just make fireworks legal. They are very easy to come by and not very well policed. Some extra revenue would do no harm.

Same goes for heroin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

kearnsr wrote: »
    Same goes for heroin

Hash and cocaine but thats another topic that has been done to death.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dancor wrote: »
    Hash and cocaine but thats another topic that has been done to death.

I was taking the piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

kearnsr wrote: »
    I was taking the piss

I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

In fact I say it now if you buy your kids bangers this year your a direct contributor. Buy them rockets. or better still buy them sparkles.

I wouldn't go buying my kids sparklers if i was you. If you grind up a few of them and use another sparkler to light the powder you've got some seriously powerful shit right there :eek:.

Also, putting a big screamer inside a tunnel was awesome. Possibly the loudest thing i've ever heard. The tunnel in question was about 100m long and went under a road. Thought the road would collapse the first time i heard it :D. Word of warning: had i been inside the tunnel when the screamers went off I probably would have suffered some sort of permanent hearing loss :(.

God I hope there's no kids reading this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Jim wrote: »

Thats the best part, when winter comes they freeze to death!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Insurgent wrote: »

Aren't most dogs really afraid of fireworks? I know any dog I had they were.
    My Jack Russell isn't, she chases them around and when she hears them they don't bother her.

The labrador is terrible though, runs and hides under beds whimpering and all sorts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

you have a jack russell phasers?
    disappointed in you, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Idiot teenage scumbags + minature explosives= trouble.

I really despise the fcukin' things. I was walking home from college the other day, and a gang of yoofs were throwing them around them place, near where kids were playing ( ''Won't somebody please think of the children?!":D)

But seriously , they're really loud and annoying, every time one goes off, you hear about twenty dogs howling afterwards.

I don't even get the attraction with them, "Wow, a loud noise and small explosion, great craic!":rolleyes:

It wouldn't be too bad if they were confined to just Halloween night or something, but no, it's mid-September onwards you hear them going off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Really, we have problems with bangers all over this city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGpcKu7kLuY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can't hear any where I live, thank fuck.

My mum's estate is like a battlefield at night for most of October.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The kids in Limerick were pretty late starting this year. One can usually hear bangers going off within weeks of the summer holidays ending, but they waited until the second week of October this year. It's still strangely quiet most nights.

I've no interesting stories though. One time we tried to blow up a glass bottle and the fuse went out because there wasn't enough air in the bottle to keep it lit... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

Used to have great fun with bangers as a kid, getting up to all sorts of badness...the only people at risk were ourselves though, would never do throw them at people or animals.

The sulpher tipped ones flared up and then simmered after being lit. after the initial "flare" they became waterproof and you could toss them into buckets of water/the building sites(unoccupied but full to the brime with exrement) portaloo

They should legalise them. One year a buddy of mine got "real" bangers legally from the north and the rest of us had black cats we picked up around town.

The frightening thing was we were putting them in empty beer bottles...the black cat would shatter the bottle into tiny peices( the buzz was to hide behind somthing before it exploded...in hindsight we were very stupid 11 year olds).

What was shocking was that if we put the legally bought(i.e safety tested bangers) into the bottles they wouldn't break and shatter. We then added two english bangers...again bottle held fast but a single black cat would vaporise them

The English bangers and the blackcats were indentical in appearance and had the same level of noise but the power of the black cat must have been much much more powerful.

Moral of the story is that if the goverment legalised the things you would probably have less missing fingers on october 31st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

People would still buy the illegal mental ones though.
    Dunno if it would be a help or hinderence in the end.

Back in the day the lads used to put em in empty cans and all...imagine if you got a shard of metal slicing your jugular :eek:

We leave my dog in with the radio on on halloween night, works pretty well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I walked by there about 3 weeks ago and it has all changed. Nobody offered me any bananas or apples and they don't have those shoe stalls at the back of the Ilac any more either.

Peggy "Do yiz want Docs lads?" is long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

In my brother's secondary school (which was a bit rough), some lads used to throw bangers into the crowd waiting at the shop. I think I heard that one time, everyone moved away so quick that some young fella was pushed out a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

There was one shop in Maynooth that decided to sell them one year. Made no attempt to hide the fact either (we could see the boxes being brought in)

Of course, it was only a few days before the Guardai found out and shut the operation down (not before I got mine though :D)

That shop sold the British ones. They were the ones that we went for every year. Some of the Chinese ones were lethal. Paper fuzes etc - they would nearly blow up before you had a chance to turn your face away. If they make them legal - they should try and copy the British safety standards. Far better quality ones too IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Peggy "Do yiz want Docs lads?" is long gone.

That brings some memories...

/oxblood, size 10

ah yellow C4.. some memories :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Ah I used to love bangers when I was younger. I find fireworks boring, you see 1 firework you've seen them all imho. But with bangers you can be creative and get up to all kinds of badness. It was fun putting them in a bottle, putting a cork on it, then chucking it into a river. Was also fun to throw them in a bin then watch smoke pour out of it for the next 20 mins. I used to do that then walk back to my house which was on a hill and had a birds eye view of this said bin and peer out behind the net curtains with a big smile on my face as people walked by perplexed. If I was old enough at the time I probably would of had an erection as I was watching all this but I was too young at the time to achieve one unfortunately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement