Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bangers (the firework type...)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Mousey- wrote: »
    one idiot took all the gunpowder out an light it on th ground and got 3rd degree burns

besides that....just randow fireworks getting thrown in a fire....

roman candle fights

ohh and the time a 70 shot repeater fell over after ten and nearly hit us about 60 times....

great times though :rolleyes:

ohh and you cant forget blowing up ppl leter boxs.... in the country obviously... ones on fences
    Big bolded, god I loved them :P

small bolded, had it a few times, great fun.

underlined, possibly the best thing you can do, the noise is incredible, followed by the kedunk of a broken fence and/or mailbox :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

fcukin hate them...

was standing at the bus stop at the junction of camden st & auinger st. last year..waiting for the 65 (1 an hour). the bus stop in question is right beside the flats..and the little wanker kids were aiming screamers from inside the complex at all us dopes standing at the stop..they had it down to a tee..blowing up right in your face from 100 yards..like heatseekers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Here you go my good people, a warning to ye all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqldx5JBQiI

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

walking the young lad to school this morning, some youg lads walking in front of us, next thing they just took off running, little f***ers had dropped a banger on the ground right in front of us, of course the new rocks didnt do much to muffle the sound but at least my young lad didnt get any stray sh*t in his face.

i know though where i would have placed my shoe had i known what they were up to!

and yes, of course i messed around with bangers myself as a kid, but i was never as thoughtless as these idiots, they didnt even look around to see a five year old child only inches behind them!

luckily my child was unharmed and his hearing was fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

A few years ago a friend of mine lit a firework (the type that are meant to go UP) but never planted it in the ground. We all ran, but it went off and flew up towards me. I tried to jump over it but I ended up hittng it with the back of my leg, it deflected and went off about a meter away from me. I swear I was nearly deafened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

used to love them when i was a kid but i was a little **** with them know i cant stand them hate them now cant stand hearing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

delricyo wrote: »
    There was one shop in Maynooth that decided to sell them one year. Made no attempt to hide the fact either (we could see the boxes being brought in)

Of course, it was only a few days before the Guardai found out and shut the operation down (not before I got mine though :D)

That shop sold the British ones. They were the ones that we went for every year. Some of the Chinese ones were lethal. Paper fuzes etc - they would nearly blow up before you had a chance to turn your face away. If they make them legal - they should try and copy the British safety standards. Far better quality ones too IMO

Never heard that what shop was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Ah the smell of gunpowder,sulfer and smoke in the autumnal air sure is a sensual experience. One time we fired an "airbomb" from a firework into local garda station, amazing sound from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Roman Candle wars, love em.

Rush lads, Rush in North County Dublin. Anyone wanna have fun come out here :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Ah I used to love bangers when I was younger. I find fireworks boring, you see 1 firework you've seen them all imho. But with bangers you can be creative and get up to all kinds of badness.

OK, just for the record, and to forestall any confusion "Bangers are Fireworks".

You hear a lot of people in Ireland talking about 'Bangers & Fireworks' as if they are two different things, but 'Fireworks' include Bangers, Roman Candles, Fountains, Rockets, Catherine Wheels, Jumping jacks, Cones, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

The sulpher tipped ones flared up and then simmered after being lit. after the initial "flare" they became waterproof and you could toss them into buckets of water/the building sites(unoccupied but full to the brime with exrement) portaloo

They should legalise them. One year a buddy of mine got "real" bangers legally from the north and the rest of us had black cats we picked up around town.

The frightening thing was we were putting them in empty beer bottles...the black cat would shatter the bottle into tiny peices( the buzz was to hide behind somthing before it exploded...in hindsight we were very stupid 11 year olds).

What was shocking was that if we put the legally bought(i.e safety tested bangers) into the bottles they wouldn't break and shatter. We then added two english bangers...again bottle held fast but a single black cat would vaporise them

The English bangers and the blackcats were indentical in appearance and had the same level of noise but the power of the black cat must have been much much more powerful.

Those blackcats are for pussies (no pun intended) cause nothing compares to the M-320

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Just got one thrown in me and my mates face...should have seen the idiots faces when we found out where they lived:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I just got one thrown in my back garden!! Poor doggy nearly sh!t herself!! It wasnt even one of the pretty ones, just a pointless BANG!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

mattfender wrote: »
    Just got one thrown in me and my mates face...should have seen the idiots faces when we found out where they lived:pac:

You mean like this

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/jaj123175/fireworks_accident671.jpg

thats the exact pic I took of it earlier. Crazy:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Was out yesterday morning with two of my kids (who were in a double buggy) when a group of school uniformed kids decided to let off in the street in broad daylight, on a busy road with heavy traffic and people, to launch a serious number of rockets.

Two of them literally missed my head as they landed micro-seconds later a few feet from me.
    Now I am used to a lot of loud bangs over the years, some up very close but the two babs I had in the buggy had the terrible fright of their life.
    Took my wife and myself a good 20 minutes to calm them down again, their tears and all.

I'm not kidding, law or no law, if I see the teens that did it again, I will kick the living schite out of them - and I know what they look like!

dooo it...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

mattfender wrote: »

Any bad memories of your mates fingers been blown off or how much they piss you off?

hppnd to m :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

went to an all male secondary school, too must testerome and fireworks are a terrible idea! it was all fun and games till my 5th year. usually throwing them in sinks down drains ect untill some wise a$$ 1st year decided to blow his friends face off, walkedup to him said you want a drink of coke, he said yes, the coke can was empty with a lit banger inside want a pretty site, fireworks stopped then, it takes one fool to spoil all the time out of classes we used to get from fire drills! still as bad in that school according to my mates wee bro caught with them and its imedite expulsion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My old man used to have an oxy acethelene plant in the garage, as kids we used to fill baloons with the stuff and set them off around Dunlaoghaire and Dalkey, the noise would set off all the alarms in the area and have the cops down in minutes. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I love fireworks.. getting myself some screamers and rockets for halloween.. hehe
    But bangers-pointless!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

if they were legal, think there would be less of an attraction to them, when i was being brought up in london, alot of shops sold them legally in the lead up to guy fawlks, ok so you would still get the odd wee sh!te who would throw them about the park and street during the day, but local authorities would put would put on huge displays coupled with a bonfire and funfair, made it a real festival and enjoyment out of it

even now i dont mind going to a display of 15 to 20 minutes organised by someone who knows what their doing, or a neighbour letting off a few from the garden to entertain the kids with rocket/sparkler types one night a year

but bangers, wtf, have been going off here all times of day for the last few weeks, even in the park behind my garden wall, near tossed my dinner over me the other day the size of the bang, i dont get what the big fcuking attraction is with them, wow, hear the big noise whilst i try to avoid blowing my fingers off, and also, whats the point in letting of rocket/sparkler type fireworks during the day when you cant even see the colourful explosion, oh sorry, i forget, you just want to hear the explosion

:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ah great times experimenting with bangers.
    Years ago they used to conatain black gunpowder whic was much easier to ignite than the hi-ex fillings nowadays.
    It also meant that you could empty the gunpowder into a copper pipe(you'd bent up one end with ahammer),tamp it down and make a fuze out of gunpowder and paper,light it and run like fcuck.The bang would set off alarms on cars nearby and deafen you for a few minutes.
    Then we moved up a notch chemically,somebody figured you could make an explosive mixture from sodium chlorate weedkiller miked with suger(a bit of charcoal in the mix used to help)..a mate of mine made a "rocket" that exploded on the ground and nearly decapitated him with shrapnel.
    I also nearly lost my thumb opening hilti bullets with a hammer and dart to get the powder out..i've sort of grown out of it now..but i think i still have some stuff from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Degsy wrote: »
    Ah great times experimenting with bangers.
    Years ago they used to conatain black gunpowder whic was much easier to ignite than the hi-ex fillings nowadays.
    It also meant that you could empty the gunpowder into a copper pipe(you'd bent up one end with ahammer),tamp it down and make a fuze out of gunpowder and paper,light it and run like fcuck.The bang would set off alarms on cars nearby and deafen you for a few minutes.
    Then we moved up a notch chemically,somebody figured you could make an explosive mixture from sodium chlorate weedkiller miked with suger(a bit of charcoal in the mix used to help)..a mate of mine made a "rocket" that exploded on the ground and nearly decapitated him with shrapnel.
    I also nearly lost my thumb opening hilti bullets with a hammer and dart to get the powder out..i've sort of grown out of it now..but i think i still have some stuff from last year.
    ....are you in the army...?:pac:
    I wouldnt mind buying some nice rockets to let off, hopefully the north stocks some nice ones :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Bangers are good craic. I hate people who just set them off in the street and then runs away. Now, blowing stuff up, there's the fun. Abandoned pram's and other illegally dumped stuff. The best though is sticking 2 in cones and lighting the fuse at the same time. You send those small cones about 40 meters up.

Some people take it too far though and this is how people get hurt. People who set off fireworks that actually have thrust and are meant to fly up into the sky are the reason there's many serious incidents on Halloween. Last year one of the idiots in my class set one off and it came straight towards me. I tried jumping over it (it was flying low) but it smacked off my leg and went off about 2 meters away from me. I was lucky, if it has flown up I could've got it in the face.

All-in-all, in the wrong hands they're bad (scumbags).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

jumpguy wrote: »
    A few years ago a friend of mine lit a firework (the type that are meant to go UP) but never planted it in the ground. We all ran, but it went off and flew up towards me. I tried to jump over it but I ended up hittng it with the back of my leg, it deflected and went off about a meter away from me. I swear I was nearly deafened.

Is that why you're called jumpguy?

Its pretty freaky when a repeater goes off and falls over...it was like Afghanistan on a good night:eek:

pistonsvox wrote: »
    ....are you in the army...?:pac:
    I wouldnt mind buying some nice rockets to let off, hopefully the north stocks some nice ones :D

Head to newry and there's a place called the Firework factory on the right hand side before you get into the town...a good box of display fireworks is
    about 20 quid.

bman wrote: »
    Is that why you're called jumpguy?

He lives in Fingerless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

About 5 years ago some eejit through a banger into the bonfire we were all drinking around, obv blew out in my direction and hot me, only on my thigh but god it hurt!! D1ckheads kept doing it :(

• Advertisement

LadyE wrote: »
    About 5 years ago some eejit through a banger into the bonfire we were all drinking around, obv blew out in my direction and hot me, only on my thigh but god it hurt!! D1ckheads kept doing it :(

Count yourself lucky it wasnt a full kosangas cylinder..i saw one of those take off like a mortar and scatter bits of the bonfire for yards in every direction.

Degsy wrote: »
    Head to newry and there's a place called the Firework factory on the right hand side before you get into the town...a good box of display fireworks is
    about 20 quid.

Sound!

Coming up as car dealer though........ hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 conhoe

Theres a few good places in Newry for the southern lads... No need to go too far up for some fireworks. Ive gone up the last 4 years to the exact same shop to get some fireworks! Only use them as display for the kids and family at Halloween and New years eve, all is well if you set them off sensibly! Will be going up again this year and hopefully the same shop will be open for business!!! Might have a look around other shops just for price comparison alright.... Anyone else been up already this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

thinking of going up north today to pick up a few fire works for a birthday / halloween thing any one no any where i can g or is it to early?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rvpalldway

anyone selling im thinking of buying (bangers or fireworks)

Advertisement