Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiography

Options
  • 15-10-2009 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I don't know if we have any radiographers here but I'll give it a shot...
    I'm thinking of applying to do radiography next year as a mature student. I have physiology & anatomy and will have work experience in a radiology department completed by the time the CAO forms come out.

I know there's only 1 course in UCD so I'd be willing to drive to Bangor uni to do it if it came to that.

Has anyone got any tips on how to make my application stand out?
    Ideally I'd like to go to UCD because it's so close, but the average intake is only 40 students & I'd be applying along with every other mature student & students who just completed the LC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Hey Laydee,
    I applied last year (and am reapplying this year) as a mature student for medicine. I was called for interview in 2 colleges on the strenght of my personal statement, and where I fell down in both was the lack of actual ward experience that I had then. (currently fixing that ;) ), so my advice to you would be to put everything you feel is applicable in your personal statement, relate everything or as much as you can in the statement back to how much a place in radiography would mean to you, your driving reasons behind applying and so on. Emphasise any and all experience you have and will have in clinical settings, and if you get called for interview, know a few things about the course in teh particular university that makes it distinct from any other. Draft your statement at least twice, then leave it, then go back and read it after a period of time, you'll be amazed how critical that can make you of your own writing! Larianne has an excellent sticky on applying as a mature student in the Mature Students thread in the Education forum thats well worth a read also. Best of luck, and if I can be of any more use, pm me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Felt my ears burning! :)

This should be some help: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

Thanks for the information Jessibelle, i'll get in touch with the head of dept for advice before applying.

WOW Larianne, that's quite a thread you have there. Very useful.
    I've asked for a mature student handbook to be sent out to me.

I found out today that Bangor uni is in wales & not northern Ireland. :o So now there's only 1 radiography course for me to apply to :(

I have my clinical placement sorted for an x ray department. I'm currently doing pre nursing so I'll have the 15 day placement from that too (not in an x ray dept though) along with my physiology & anatomy which is a big part of the degree course.

When are the interviews? I can arrange more x ray dept work experience for the February mid term if they're not until April or May.

I am applying for nursing & radiography but I have my heart set on radiography.

Mine were in May, near enough to the end of it from what I remember off hand, I'll check later for you though to be certain. If you're not called for interview, don't lose hope by any means as you're still in the running as an applicant as a normal undergrad. Also I was called for interview at different times intervals, i.e one college called me 5 days before hand, one two days before hand and one a week before hand, (although I was told by one there was a delay in the HPAT results being issued to the colleges, which was why there was all the rush to arrange interviews afterwards, so that may not apply to radiography).

Laydee wrote: »

Would you consider Radiation therapy in TCD? Or University of Ulster had two BScs in Radiography last year? One was diagnostic and the other therapeutic I think?

• Advertisement

UU is in Derry, isn't it? I can't uproute my LO's so I would be driving. Belfast would be bearable but Derry is a bit too far, even for me :(

I was thinking of applying to therapy in TCD. I'll look into it in a bit more detail before the CAO starts.

I was offered another week of work experience in a different hospital's X Ray department :D

But it clashes with my pre nursing course & my nursing work experience that I do once a week. :(

What should I do?
    1) I could take a week off college & ask to do 4 days that week as I have commitments to my nursing placement.
    2) I could take a week off college & a day off my nursing placement (but it's day 2 of my placement, so this will look awful!)
    3) I could ask the hospital to take me during the February midterm instead. (this might clash with my nursing placement too & it's ages after CAO form is sent off so I can't include it on my application)

I wouldn't feel so bad if my nursing placement was in a nursing home but it's in a main Dublin hospital & loads of my classmates would have killed for my placement.

UU is in Derry, isn't it? I can't uproute my LO's so I would be driving. Belfast would be bearable but Derry is a bit too far, even for me :(

It's held in the Jordanstown Campus, which is just a few miles outside Belfast city AFAIK :)

I just finished my first week of Radiography work experience & I completely have my heart set on it now :D
    I'll have 4 weeks work experience sorted in x ray depts before the interviews in UCD, if I apply for therapy in TCD, will that experience be sufficient?

I think any sort of work experience will look good. It is tough enough to get work experience these days due to staff shortages and insurance policies. So 4 weeks is excellent though.

It's what you've taken from it that the interviewers will be looking at. What did you learn from it, did you enjoy it etc. Sounds like you're on the right track though.

Do UCD interview for Radiography? They didn't for Physio which I thought was rather strange. (still got offered a place though. ha!)

I think UCD and TCD's Open Days are coming up around the end of November so try get to them if you can. Ask lots of questions and if you see any mature students grab them.

I assumed that they took in mature students for interviews, I don't know where I got that idea from, probably from the nursing application process?

I have the UCD & TCD open days written on my calendar :D

I'll need to get cracking on my peronal profile, if there's no interviews then that will be the only thing other than my work experience that makes me stand out.

I am really excited about this now, the radiographers in the hospital suggested that I apply to UU also, the radiography courses are held in Jordanstown so not too far over the border.

One radiographer told me that physiology & anatomy would be enough science background to get into radiography & understand the science side of it :D

Should I submit my CAO application right away or should I spend some time working on the personal profile & submit in late November?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I just finished my first week of Radiography work experience & I completely have my heart set on it now :D
    I'll have 4 weeks work experience sorted in x ray depts before the interviews in UCD, if I apply for therapy in TCD, will that experience be sufficient?

I used to study RT in Trinity. When I went to the open day before I started, they took a list of names who would be interested in visiting the RT department in St Lukes. Maybe give the school of RT in Trinity a ring to see if it is possible?

I would really recommend visiting an RT department as they do recommend visiting one before starting the course anyway and would be a fantastic thing to talk about during your interview. Reason being is that it is quite different from a normal radiology department and some people can be put off by the big RT machines. Its also good to see the mould room and some examples of moulds (for patients who are getting head and neck RT).

Before starting in Trinity I went for a look around the RT department in Galway. It was about a week before they opened and the therapists were fantastic.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM ;)

Should I submit my CAO application right away or should I spend some time working on the personal profile & submit in late November?

I would work on your personal statement. It takes time. Mature Student application deadline isn't until 1st February 2010 so you'll still got plenty of time to work on it.

Also, I've heard great things about UU. I was going there if I didn't get into TCD. It's only about 10 minutes outside Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Thanks for the information Jessibelle, i'll get in touch with the head of dept for advice before applying.

WOW Larianne, that's quite a thread you have there. Very useful.
    I've asked for a mature student handbook to be sent out to me.

I found out today that Bangor uni is in wales & not northern Ireland. :o So now there's only 1 radiography course for me to apply to :(

I have my clinical placement sorted for an x ray department. I'm currently doing pre nursing so I'll have the 15 day placement from that too (not in an x ray dept though) along with my physiology & anatomy which is a big part of the degree course.

When are the interviews? I can arrange more x ray dept work experience for the February mid term if they're not until April or May.

Wow I am the exact same. I am doing pre-nursing aswell but really want to do Radiography( I did a BA already). Where did you get your work experience? I was hoping to get some experience but most hospitals said only university students are allowed in

Ps. You aren't in Dun Laoighaire CFE are you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ladymolly

help!
    hey guys i was wondering can u help me as i see a few of u have applied to radiography in ucd,i have applied this year and have an interview for the 31st of may.Any tips that you could give would be gratefully appriciated so far i have done 2days experience and have another 2nxt wk it seems not all hospitals will actually let me in to the radiography dept!will this be enough?

Advertisement