Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plumbing query

• 15-10-2009 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.

My plumber is due to start 1st fix in the next few days. Labour price has been agreed and he has given me a list of materials which I have priced with a few different providers so all grand there. No probs.

He has come back to me and asked if he can use 'duo pipe' (I think thats what he called it) instead of copper. I have never heard of this before and from what I could gather from him it's not widely used in Ireland.

It a flexible pipe which is apparently much easier to install/use and is just as effective as copper. Can easily bend so easy to lay over another pipe(if necessary) without distorting pipe shape.

The plumber said it would be a bit dearer than copper but certain fixings are not needed with this 'duo pipe' as opposed to copper so would balance itself out somewhat on price.

I suppose my question is has anyone had any experience of this flexible piping system for plumbing in a domestic dwelling?

Is it as effective/reliable as copper?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Bull

Comments

He is referring to plastic piping, Qualpex being one of many types manufactured.

I used it in my house and had no problems, just be sure he uses the inserts at the joints - stops the connector (fitting) popping off.

There are several "plastic -v- copper" threads here giving you plenty to think about, you could search for them if search worked, but they should be fairly easy to find!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You have to ask him what exactly is the name of the pipe. He wants to use this pipe because it saves him time and money. Copper is the most expensive so he is talking sh1t on the savings.

I am oldschool. Having said that i live in a house decked out in qualpex and copper tails. To the whole world it looks like copper.

He quoted on copper so insist on copper!

The downside to copper is the upside to pex and the downside to pex is the upside to copper. Generally there is more advantages to copper.

If the bill for the plumbing is 10k you should expect a 500 - 1k saving with pex. Make sure he uses copper 2 mterers from the boiler and further if its oil and 1 meter from the copper hot water cylinder.

I am tempted to say he is a chancer having quoted for the job but that would be unfair not knowing the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

My house was done using qualpex and copper. Most of the qualpex is buried under the screed now, virtually all connections and joints are above ground with manifolds.

I can not imagine how long my house would have taken if all copper was used. Qualpex is very fast to lay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Thanks for the reply guys.

I know the plumber personally so I'd hope he is not trying to deceive me or pull a fast one.

He was on about qualpex and saying he hates using it so I assumed this was different and far superior (maybe I assumed wrong)

I'm gonna post a link to the only site I could find this 'duo pipe' on. Mods I hope this is ok. It's only really to show what I'm referring to exactly.

http://www.fraenkische.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-C1D86234-AB86CA5B/fraenkische_int/hs.xsl/894_7908_ENG_HTML.htm

Is this the pipe you are on about guys?

Thanks
    Bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

To be honest, it looks identical to qualpex. They provide is in coils, lengths, insulated (pipe in pipe) - all the same way that qualpex comes. Most houses in the country are plumbed with this type of stuff instead of copper. If, as you said, it is you buying the materials for the plumber, I'd definitely go ahead with it, it will save you money. There are much less joints than with copper and less chance of leaks. When you buy it pre insulated, it is much better quality than putting insulation on copper pipes. Personally I'd be very happy to go ahead with it. As you say, your plumber is a friend, so he will surely advise you of the best way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

BullBauld wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply guys.

I know the plumber personally so I'd hope he is not trying to deceive me or pull a fast one.

He was on about qualpex and saying he hates using it so I assumed this was different and far superior (maybe I assumed wrong)

I'm gonna post a link to the only site I could find this 'duo pipe' on. Mods I hope this is ok. It's only really to show what I'm referring to exactly.

http://www.fraenkische.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-C1D86234-AB86CA5B/fraenkische_int/hs.xsl/894_7908_ENG_HTML.htm

Is this the pipe you are on about guys?

Thanks
    Bull

I know that pipe well. I have no problem with the pipe but I am not happy with the connections. I know of a company that ended up in court because they did not use the correct tools to join this.

Again as this is your friend I am sure this will not happen.

You do however have one major problem with this pipe.

If on pure chance your friend the plumber falls out with you and you need to get another plumber to correct or fit something new he will charge you a small fortune to source the fittings and the tools

It is a good pipe if fitted right but honestly if i was makeing the choice I would stick to copper. Its a proven reliable,

Advertisement