Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerator

Options
  • 15-10-2009 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for advice from anyone that has aerated their lawns?

I have an over an acre of lawn, planted this time last year. Soil is quite compacted and it not thriving, even with plenty of feeding.

Just wondering would an Aerator like this, be worth the investment?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have used this type before with some success but you need to be careful with stones & go slowly otherwise then can just chew the grass up. They can need a surprising amount of weight to penetrate deeply.

As to whether this will improve your grass will depend on what is the real cause of the grass not thriving,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stanmake

On the same subject, I want to scarify and aerate about half an acre. Does anyone know of anywhere that Hires these machines as I don't want to fork out a fortune for a machine I only use once a year at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

stanmake wrote: »
    On the same subject, I want to scarify and aerate about half an acre. Does anyone know of anywhere that Hires these machines as I don't want to fork out a fortune for a machine I only use once a year at most.
    Sam Hire should have one, they are in Finisklin. I tried hiring the aerator from them in Letterkenny during the summer but they only had the one, and it was broken at the time. Think it was about 50euro a day for the aerator. Hired the scarifier instead and it removed all the mosss, think it was 40 a day.

(edit)
    Sorry, just remembered it was not Sam Hire but Watson Hire in letterkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stanmake

Thanks for that, I'll give them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Decided to go for it.

Ordered it on Friday, and it was delivered on Tuesday. Theres a fair bit of Assembly to it, but I have it pretty much put together now. Seems a solid enough build, might get a chance to try it out this weekend, and I'll keep you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mowers-ire

Hello
    You could should try Sch supplies there are a dear item then Agri Fab, the main reason for this is quality.... If you dont have a tractor mower to pull this then try your local Hire Shop most hire shops now do a walk behind unit now like COMMON . I think the walk behind unit is away ahead of the tow behind unit... Also as you mite only use this unit twice in the year Hiring maybe a better option....

Cheers mowers-ire

Advertisement