Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting to XBox Live

• 15-10-2009 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Well gaming guru's!

As online seems to be the route most game developers are taking I am now looking to get online.
    Problem is I only have a 1MB broadband connection at home (tbh were lucky to have the internet atal where I live!)
    Would this speed be capable of running Live? Also the other concern is I am capped by a download limit of 24GB, not sure if this matters when using Live?

If some one could make things a bit clearer for me it would be much apprieciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

...anyone know?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

You will be able to run live but you'll suffer from lag, but you can play it's just frustrating at times, i had a similar connection until i moved to galway this year and got the 20mb line (horray!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 mwin80

Microsoft and your internet service provider will tell you it will work fine on 1mb. However, i'd recommend you think carefully before signing up. A big factor to think about is the population of your general area and how many others there have broadband. IE: if lots have broadband then you probably won't even get the full 1 mb at peak times due to contention issues. I used to play on line with a 2mb connection - it was good sometimes but most of the time it would just get really frustrating - i'd have hassles just gettign into an online game and then once i was in 'd experience lag and broken up gameplay. It got so annoying that i stopped using it which was jsut a waste of a years membership. I'm on 10mb now and online play works fine although i still don't use it that much to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

zero19 wrote: »
    You will be able to run live but you'll suffer from lag, but you can play it's just frustrating at times, i had a similar connection until i moved to galway this year and got the 20mb line (horray!)
    mwin80 wrote: »
    Microsoft and your internet service provider will tell you it will work fine on 1mb. However, i'd recommend you think carefully before signing up. A big factor to think about is the population of your general area and how many others there have broadband. IE: if lots have broadband then you probably won't even get the full 1 mb at peak times due to contention issues. I used to play on line with a 2mb connection - it was good sometimes but most of the time it would just get really frustrating - i'd have hassles just gettign into an online game and then once i was in 'd experience lag and broken up gameplay. It got so annoying that i stopped using it which was jsut a waste of a years membership. I'm on 10mb now and online play works fine although i still don't use it that much to be honest.

Thanks for the replies lads, looks like I'll be holding off getting Live until better braodband becomes available in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Generally a 2meg connection up would be best but a decent 1 meg should

work but could suffer lag especially on Gow2, as for usage Gow2 uses around

30meg per hour so its not really a problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I have a 1 meg line and very rarely have a problem with lag.You get a free months gold sub to xbox live when you create your gamertag so use that to check what your ping etc is like.

If you have used up the free months subscription just create another profile to get another free months sub to test drive your games on live.

Can you go to www.speedtest.net and let us know what your ping,upload and download speeds are?

Lab

Advertisement