Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

milk price increase

• 15-10-2009 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

i am raging , i have just got the farmers journal dairygold are increasing the milk price by 1.75 and lakeland by 1.25 and glanbia the robbing bas*(&ds are leaving the price the same

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I have no connection with farming but do have a shop.

As of monday gone, Glanbia lowered the wholesale price of a 2l milk by 20c

Does this have any relevance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

As of monday gone, Glanbia lowered the wholesale price of a 2l milk by 20c

Does this have any relevance?

Not unless the supplier has a liquid contract with Glanbia. The majority of milk produced in Ireland is for manufacturing rather than liquid.
    The move by Dairygold and Lakeland is just about bringing them into the same ballpark as others, after months of lower prices than most other co-ops. Glanbia have made a silly political error in not increasing prices, especially when Dairygold and Lakeland did so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i was just talking to the farm services guy in glanbia the liquid milk price for october is to be 35 cpl plus vat and for sept its 33 plus vat ... but the manufacturing will stay at 20 cpl for sept and go up by about 2cpl for october

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tweekd

Not unless the supplier has a liquid contract with Glanbia. The majority of milk produced in Ireland is for manufacturing rather than liquid.
    The move by Dairygold and Lakeland is just about bringing them into the same ballpark as others, after months of lower prices than most other co-ops. Glanbia have made a silly political error in not increasing prices, especially when Dairygold and Lakeland did so.

Whats the difference between liquid and manufacturing? is manufacturing for powder based milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭rooney32

glanbia claim that they cannot afford to pass on 2 cent a litre because they are almost bankrupt !!!!!.
    1 solution every farmer stop suppling milk for 1 week. at 20 c a litre there was never a better time to dump it.

• Advertisement

i think dairygold are in a far worse financial situation than glanbia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

rooney32 wrote: »
    glanbia claim that they cannot afford to pass on 2 cent a litre because they are almost bankrupt !!!!!.
    1 solution every farmer stop suppling milk for 1 week. at 20 c a litre there was never a better time to dump it.

if they are bankrupt , one would think they would have let go a few suits and executives

think it will be along time before that happens ... its always the farmer that suffers but they should have increased the manufacturing even by 1 cent it really didnt do them any favours ... think alot of farmers will do their feed purchasing elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

Whats the difference between liquid and manufacturing? is manufacturing for powder based milk?

Liquid milk ends up in the carton. manufacturing is everything else. butter, cheese etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

rooney32 wrote: »

for a 100 cow herd this would amount to approx €2200, pretty expensive, personally would prefer whelan1's idea of not purchasing goods from them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I for one am drying off my cows early this year even though I could badly do with the money grass or cows never fully recovered from bad weather this year and feeding silage and ration + electricty and my labour for 20 cent a litre just to make creamerys and supermarkets who make millons richer while we get broke just dosent make since.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

djmc wrote: »
    I for one am drying off my cows early this year even though I could badly do with the money grass or cows never fully recovered from bad weather this year and feeding silage and ration + electricty and my labour for 20 cent a litre just to make creamerys and supermarkets who make millons richer while we get broke just dosent make since.:mad:

would you consider milking once a day for the last few weeks , while volume will drop by around 33% , solids will go up considerably and the cows will eat about 25% less , thats before you even take into account the improoved lifestyle

glanbia are to increase the september price by 2.1 cpl

hopefully with high solids we will get 27/28 cpl for October

we are presently averaging 4.10% b/f and 3.68% protein, just wondering how this is comparing to others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gazza1980

solids aint great, fat 3.95% protein 3.55%. have liquid quota as well so hopefully it will bring price well up.
    connaught gold are paying 38c for liquid milk for october november.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 zoostorm

snowman707 wrote: »
    hopefully with high solids we will get 27/28 cpl for October

we are presently averaging 4.10% b/f and 3.68% protein, just wondering how this is comparing to others?

Your b/f looks low, on my run i reckon the avg is 4.3. Protein looks ok .
    3.6% protein along with 4% butterfat is worth an extra 2cent above the creamery price. Worth taking into consideration.

zoostorm wrote: »
    Your b/f looks low, on my run i reckon the avg is 4.3. Protein looks ok .
    3.6% protein along with 4% butterfat is worth an extra 2cent above the creamery price. Worth taking into consideration.

haven't got a result in 10 days, most likely will be about 4.2 or higher for november

after running 7000 gallons over quota 'cos of high b.f some years ago, we concentrated on breeding for p other than b.f
    granted it will not be an issue this year.

Advertisement