Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film Camera Recommendation?

• 15-10-2009 9:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good quality/small film (35mm) camera, not an SLR. Is such a thing still being made? I'm thinking of doing travelling and want to bring my standard digital camera with me and get a Toshiba DV recorder, and a small film camera if I can get one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

A new non-SLR 35mm camera? Then it's definitely Leica M7.

For a smaller budget any of these Cosina rangefinders:

http://www.cameraquest.com/inventor.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Olympus trip 35 is nice size, good quality. Not still being made, but are available second hand at reasonable prices. Is automatic though, not much manual control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

A leica minilux.... beautiful camera. Or if you want something cheaper, there was a little olympus mju II out a few years ago with a 2.8 lens. It had no zoom but a nice bright clear lens. A good little point and shoot. Or I believe the old olympus trip cameras are fab. I just had a quick look on ebay-

lots of nice little cameras selling for chips :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

katiemaloe wrote: »
    A leica minilux.... beautiful camera. Or if you want something cheaper, there was a little olympus mju II out a few years ago with a 2.8 lens. It had no zoom but a nice bright clear lens. A good little point and shoot. Or I believe the old olympus trip cameras are fab. I just had a quick look on ebay-

lots of nice little cameras selling for chips :)

Have to be aware of error 99 with the minilux though.

You can check out http://www.tripman.co.uk for refurbished Olympus Trips in funky colours.

Otherwise the only new film cameras I know of are the Voigtlander Bessa rangefinders and the Leica M7 and M-P. Also the Zeiss Ikon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

If you don't need inter-changable lenses something like a minolta 7sII or a canon QL 17 GIII would be a great option. They're small, really quiet, battery independent. Both of these have 40mm f1.7 lenses, there are loads of similar cameras out there with varying focal lengths and whatnot, easy to find in good condition on ebay for anything from 20-200 euro. Have a look at http://www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm

If you have a few more euros to spend, you should be able to pick up a konica hexar for about 400 euro. It's not as small, but incredibly quiet 35mm auto focus almost rangefinder thing. The lens is really something else too, if you search for the hexar AF or konica UC hexanon 35/2 on flickr you'll see how it looks.

Something like a Leica M system or a Contax G system would be great quality wise, but they're not small or cheap, and if you really get into it you'll probably end up selling your kids to keep up the habit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Something like a Leica M system or a Contax G system would be great quality wise, but they're not small or cheap, and if you really get into it you'll probably end up selling your kids to keep up the habit.

To be fair, you could have a nice contax G and a couple of lenses for about €1000, I have a G2 and the 45mm F2 and they cost me €500, lenses on ebay vary in price from €800 for the 16mm hologon to €200 for the 45mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Yashica T4 Super ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Olympus XA - it's tiny, 35mm f/2.8 lens, aperture priority and manual focus (rangefinder viewfinder). Stuck mine in my pocket for 3 weeks in India, it was fantastic.

Olympus Mju is similar I think, with autofocus. Both are about 30-40 euro at most on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Olympus XA - it's tiny, 35mm f/2.8 lens, aperture priority and manual focus (rangefinder viewfinder). Stuck mine in my pocket for 3 weeks in India, it was fantastic.

Olympus Mju is similar I think, with autofocus. Both are about 30-40 euro at most on ebay.

Yeah I'll second that, Either the XA or any of its later brethern. The XA is a lovely camera, but it has its flaws, namely no exposure compensation, dim rangefinder patch, and max ASA of 800. I like mine a lot though, its always in a coat pocket. And the mju or mju II are also very highly regarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

any recomendations on a small film camera with a lens >35mm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 boardmann

landyman wrote: »
    any recomendations on a small film camera with a lens >35mm?

If you want a real manually operated camera experience buy a Leica Threadmount Rangefinder. IIIf or IIIc 1940s/50s vintage,coupled with a Leitz Elmar 5cm f3.5 collapsable lens and any semi-reliable lightmeter.

Small, light, compact,reliable,beautiful classic design and almost silent in operation,can be handheld at slow speeds ie,down to 1/15" or even slower no problem.

Will hold its value better then almost any modern day camera.

PM me if anyones interested.

Noel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Yeah I'll second that, Either the XA or any of its later brethern. The XA is a lovely camera, but it has its flaws, namely no exposure compensation, dim rangefinder patch, and max ASA of 800. I like mine a lot though, its always in a coat pocket. And the mju or mju II are also very highly regarded.

I bought an Olympus Mju in Australia in 1994 and still use it today - great little camera very reliable and I would recommend.

Advertisement