Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OS snapshots

• 15-10-2009 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a test environment of about 40 machines servers/desktops

mixed os's Solaris/RH/FreeBSD/2k3/2k8 etc.

I'm looking for a bit of software so at the "click of a button" I can return each server to a particular snapshop/state (like vmware snapshot) but for stand alone servers.

I used to use something similar that did a restore on each reboot but won't work in this case.

(I'd rather not push images out over the network via ghost)

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I remember reading about network cards that allowed you to reset a machine every night, so no changes were applied to the os. Good for Internet Cafe's.

What about making Gold images on each machine and store them on seperate drives so you can do the restores without moving images arcoss the network.

Or get large usb drive and keep your images on it, using Ghost or acronis to restore..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Have a look into CloneZilla.

There is a Server Version that can re-image over PXE {Network-Boot} so the system will be re-imaged either on reboot or when you select to boot from PXE.

This works for both Windows and Linux system and is VERY fast. If you don't want to re-image over the network you can restore from .img saved to 2nd HD, external drive {USB and/or Firewire} or DVD {if it fits}.

Advertisement