Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Dont do Broadband anymore ? But use vodafone instead ?

• 15-10-2009 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

I rang to get BT Broadband and they told me that sorry we dont do broadband anymore but we have made a deal with vodafone and now vodafone now deal with all our existing customers and new one.

thank you and good bye. sorry but I find it very strange and BT are packing up shop broadband wise ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

cable842 wrote: »
    I rang to get BT Broadband and they told me that sorry we dont do broadband anymore but we have made a deal with vodafone and now vodafone now deal with all our existing customers and new one.

thank you and good bye. sorry but I find it very strange and BT are packing up shop broadband wise ?
    This isn't new. BT would prefer to concentrate on the most profitable side of their Irish business, and that is infrastructure. They have sold all their Residential and Small Business accounts to Vodafone. The thing is, if you're unhappy with that, you have the option to break your contract (should you still be in it) without penalty (I'm sure there's a time limit on this offer, so...). I don't see the problem, though. The prices are roughly the same, the terms aren't a whole lot different, and the bitstream broadband packages they sell are always going to be Eircom at the root.

I don't see a problem there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

but arent vodafone meant to be really bad broadband wise.

I can't see them giving people the same service as Bt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Vodafone as I understand it are effectively taking over BTs current business operations for broadband...you won't see a change I'd expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since they're all just re-selling eircom broadband, it won't make a difference. BT's customer service was about the worst in the world, so I can't see how Vodafone would be any worse.

I was with BT for a long time. I felt the need to check my bill every time with a calculator. I had heard the billing horror stories prior to signing up with them in February 2006. But I have to say, it must be the luck of the draw, because they did get it spot on every time for me.

Then I moved to Tralee and in with a few friends. We signed up for BT under one of the lad's names. We had free phone calls and broadband for six months (From September 2007 until March 2008). The thing was, the direct debits kept bouncing. They didn't cop on until January 2008 and kept sending those x-day termination letters. They never kept to it, and it took them until the middle of March 2008 before they finally cut the phone and DSL Internet off. They only cut the outgoing calls on the phone, kept the line active. They refused to disconnect it until the bill was paid. We all ended up moving out of there a few months later taking my phone with me, and as far as I know, the line is still there racking up a monthly charge. We must owe them over a grand! The landlady never found out, because if she did she would have rang me by now. BT will also never find the account owner.

So their disastrous billing department can work to their advantage as-well as the customer's, depending on the situation.

But back to Vodafone. I'd try them out before pre-judging them. As myself and jor el have pointed out already, they are both only re-selling an Eircom bitstream product (except in the case of BT's LLU2 products).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How so, Vodafone are selling the EXACT same services BT used to sell. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

probably thinking about mobile bb, which in fairness has a poor enough name

TheDriver wrote: »
    Trudat.

Vodafone do Mobile "Broadband" and Home Broadband (Eircom ADSL/bitstream through the phone line).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

TheDriver wrote: »

you'd be wise to do a bit more research before making generalisations. i've just switched from bt to vodafone and its been pretty painless, and the service i got with bt was pretty faultless.

mobile broadband on the other hand is wracked with "such and such is ****e for bb" and in 3's case this is true :D but with the others (voda and o2) its based on coverage, so just because its crap for you doesnt mean its crap for everyone.

vodafone at home is working very well for me right now, so until they piss me off i'll sing their praises.

Im shocked that Bt are gone. I heard they had good rep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Cabaal wrote: »
    How so, Vodafone are selling the EXACT same services BT used to sell. :)

No there not, I was on the 6MB package and got upgraded to 24MB with BT, and I rang to make the change over and was told I'd have to switch to the 3MB package as they don't offer the 24Mb or 6MB yet so I was getting 1/3 speed for the same money. She told me just to wait for the migration to happen I would be better off then.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    But back to Vodafone. I'd try them out before pre-judging them. As myself and jor el have pointed out already, they are both only re-selling an Eircom bitstream product (except in the case of BT's LLU2 products).

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I have switched to 7mb package with vodafone a few days ago ! Not getting anyway near 7mb . Think highest I saw so far was about 3.4mb. I though the average was supposed to be at least 60% of advertised package!
    Portmarnock area!

dak wrote: »
    I have switched to 7mb package with vodafone a few days ago ! Not getting anyway near 7mb . Think highest I saw so far was about 3.4mb. I though the average was supposed to be at least 60% of advertised package!
    Portmarnock area!
    Where did you hear that? Any sources? I'm having speed issues myself, and if there is something official that says you should be getting 60% or greater towards the "Up to" speeds... Well, I doubt there is an official word. I would be nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'm on the 3 meg package and usually get in or around this:

596933638.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

BT were really uncompetitive, in many cases being the most expensive in the market. In many case their packages were more expensive than eircom.

I did a little shopping around for a basic package of 3M DSL and unlimited local/national calls back in July. Prices per month:

Perlico: €46
    Vodafone: €49
    Eircom: €50.11 (first month €30.11) (free calls off peak only)
    Digiweb: €55.99
    BT: €56.18

It's worth noting that Perlico (who I went with) are actually Vodafone. I've had no problems with them at all. My IP address changes every night at 12:25am which causes my connection to drop for a few seconds, but I can live with that.

Also worth noting is since BT dropped out of the market, Digiweb are now the most expensive. Ironic as I used to be with Digiweb before Perlico/Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Where did you hear that? Any sources? I'm having speed issues myself, and if there is something official that says you should be getting 60% or greater towards the "Up to" speeds... Well, I doubt there is an official word. I would be nice though.

There was an independent survey of broadband speed in Ireland which found that on average customers got speeds of 60% of the package speed they signed up for ....no official guarantee if thats what you mean!

JHMEG thanks for that you rock. I have eircom Ive to reactivate. and then switch to one of the networks magnet offered 55 euro for 10meg broadband I told him make it 45 and you have a deal he said no.

dak wrote: »
    There was an independent survey of broadband speed in Ireland which found that on average customers got speeds of 60% of the package speed they signed up for ....no official guarantee if thats what you mean!
    Ah it would be great if it was to be locked down in law. I can smell the lawsuits now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ah it would be great if it was to be locked down in law. I can smell the lawsuits now!!!

Well, you can only be guaranteed the speed, if you buy uncontended and that you can only get in very few cases like Magnet or Smart LLU. If you buy a contended package, you have to count on not getting the full speed at times.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

JHMEG wrote: »
    BT were really uncompetitive, in many cases being the most expensive in the market. In many case their packages were more expensive than eircom.

I did a little shopping around for a basic package of 3M DSL and unlimited local/national calls back in July. Prices per month:

Vodafone: €49
    Eircom: €50.11 (first month €30.11) (free calls off peak only)

I don't see why you didn't compare like with like "Eircom: €50.11 (free calls off peak only)" Have to compare apples with apples!!!

Basic package of 3M DSL and unlimited local/national calls anytime. Today:

Vodafone: €45
    Eircom: €56.99

When comparing this package BT were not really uncompetitive and not as expensive as Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭xabi

You also get a discount if you are already a Vodafone mobile customer. I got a reduction when i chaged from BT and a speed increase - 3MB for 35 / month.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Can existing BT customers expect some sort of news update or information posted to them? This is the first I've heard about the change-over. Signed up for BT home BB a few weeks ago.

How do Vodafone's billing dept. and customer service compare vs. BT's? Will I still contact BT in relation to all my queries etc.?

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    I don't see why you didn't compare like with like "Eircom: €50.11 (free calls off peak only)" Have to compare apples with apples!!!

1. That was the package at the time and I highlighted that it was not the same, didn't I! Eircom's current price is €46.99 for the first 3 months, bringing the montly cost over 12 months to €54.49 - still cheaper than BT.

2. Based on your new pricing above BT is still as uncompetitive as ever, but...

3. BT have quit the market so I don't know where you are getting that price from.. their website has no residential pricing on it pending approval from the Competition Authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

JHMEG wrote: »
    their website has no residential pricing on it
    Really this appears to be quiet a concise list : http://www.btireland.ie/home/rates_combined.shtml

Isaac702 wrote: »
    Really this appears to be quiet a concise list : http://www.btireland.ie/home/rates_combined.shtml
    BT wrote:
    as of 31st August 2009 the BT Residential Products order facility will be no longer be available

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Vodafone's caps are about half of BT's.. No difference my ass :/ With also no option to increase it.

Really? The 3MB Voda package has 40GB download and unlimited upload. That's not bad.

there should be no cap at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I dont mind switching, especially as I've no real choice, but I just hope that they lower the price of the previously BT package. I'm on the 3Mb line package with UL calls its around €56 but the same on vodafone is €46 and the cap is 10GB more.. If I get the change then I wont care otherwise I'll re-locate once the contract runs down.

Advertisement