Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Dont do Broadband anymore ? But use vodafone instead ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

CutzEr wrote: »
    Vodafone's caps are about half of BT's.. No difference my ass :/ With also no option to increase it.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

JHMEG wrote: »
    1. That was the package at the time and I highlighted that it was not the same, didn't I! Eircom's current price is €46.99 for the first 3 months, bringing the montly cost over 12 months to €54.49 - still cheaper than BT.

2. Based on your new pricing above BT is still as uncompetitive as ever, but...

3. BT have quit the market so I don't know where you are getting that price from.. their website has no residential pricing on it pending approval from the Competition Authority.

1)I didn't say you didn't mention that it was different, just what is the point ? you can't make any logical comparison.

2)This 3 month promotion is only for new or upgrading customers , loyal customers would not see the decrease in the price as would be stuck at €56.99 which is more expensive than BT. But I take your point that if you upgraded you would see a €1.69 saving a month.

3)BT package also gave you FREE calls to NI and the UK which Eircom charges 15.42c per min (so one 15min call a month would save you €2.31 in comparison with Eircom)

4)Other charges are also cheaper the Call Set-up Fee costs 5.98c with eircom whereas BT only charged 5.97c (I know this is minor but still a saving)

I am well aware that people can't sign up to BT anymore but just want to make the point that they were competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    3)BT package also gave you FREE calls to NI and the UK
    They're not FREE. If they were you wouldn't have to pay anything to BT and still get them, but BT are no different.

All of Ireland has always been considered a National Call since Albert Reynolds was minister for communications. NI is no different, hence 0044 code not required for NI.
    Pyro Boy wrote:
    I am well aware that people can't sign up to BT anymore but just want to make the point that they were competitive.
    (I'm suspecting now that you work for BT?) Being blown into the weeds by other providers in the market like Perlico, Vodafone, and others, means they were not competitive, and hence they quit the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

They're not FREE. If they were you wouldn't have to pay anything to BT and still get them, but BT are no different.

Ok not free but within your call package. A call of 59mins to the uk landline costs how much with BT? and how much with Eircom ? (based on the call plans we were talking about in the previous posts)
    Just answer the question :P Please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

Are clear wire any good Im gettin my Eircom line reconnected today and then Im going to pick one not sure which one Im goin to pick.

Smart are gone well they will be and I will prob go with the cheapest but the bext of a bad bunch. broadband in ireland is really bad.

When I was up in nerwy there in feb I remember looking at the 02 broadband it was 10 pound a month.
    I don't see why you didn't compare like with like "Eircom: €50.11 (free calls off peak only)" Have to compare apples with apples!!!

Basic package of 3M DSL and unlimited local/national calls anytime. Today:

Perlico: €46
    Vodafone: €45
    Eircom: €56.99
    Digiweb: €55.99
    BT: €56.18

When comparing this package BT were not really uncompetitive and not as expensive as Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Vodafone's caps are about half of BT's.. No difference my ass :/ With also no option to increase it.

my cap with voda is the same as it was with bt, sorry you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I'm on the BT 24Mbs and have been told that the relatively small number of us wont migrate to Vodafone 'tll probably after Christmas. Hope our cap stays the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Not sure how you worked that out. 3mb with BT = 30GB cap. 3mb with Vodafone = 40GB cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

There's no cap on the 7.6mb BT package we have. Does this mean it's going to start being capped?

Ok not free but within your call package. A call of 59mins to the uk landline costs how much with BT? and how much with Eircom ? (based on the call plans we were talking about in the previous posts)
    Just answer the question :P Please
    Not relevant to me. I don't know anyone in the UK...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

When I signed up for Bt 2 plus years ago got the 3MB packaage for 56 euros talk alot plan(i think) was suppose to be Unlimited but got throttled a couple of times wouldn't tell the fair use cap the 1st time but believe it was 100 GB because the second time I called I rephrased the question to , "how much have I used". I was suppose to be upgraded to 7.x MB when they were upgrading lines (last summer) I get around 4MB but thats down to my line...

What kills me is that I live less than 2 kilometers from a place where smart is available. And Eircom has a fiber optic line runnings down our road.

Vodaphone's best package has a cap of 60GB and fair play to them ,easy to see no problems.

I pay more but I get more(and use it).If I could get the same and pay less I would, but I can't.

Now everyone let's say a prayer for people on mobile broadband and thier caps.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Just switched from BT [7Mb] to Voda [7Mb] and was surprised to see that my upload speed had gone down to 384.

Should have read the Voda website which says that the 7Mb pack has a 384 upload speed :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Duiske wrote: »
    Not sure how you worked that out. 3mb with BT = 30GB cap. 3mb with Vodafone = 40GB cap.
    Yes, but BT would not enforce that until you get up to around 100GB.

Also worth noting, Vodafone don't have an option for 24/7 free calls to N.I./UK.

Vodafone may appear to be cheaper, but they're service is cheap.

I'll be moving over to UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

do utv cover dublin ?

I hear there good. I got clearwire the other day but giving it back on Tuesday its not great have to stay by a window just to get a signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What are Voda going to do with all the BT up to 24 mbps customers?

Also worth noting, Vodafone don't have an option for 24/7 free calls to N.I./UK.
    For billing purposes -for all operators - NI is the same as the rest of Ireland. To be sure use the 048 prefix, and not 0044. (Thank Albert Reynolds for that one)

Can this be made a sticky please?
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/calling_northern_ireland___use_the_048_code_to_call_fixed_line_numbers.238.LE.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ThingMaster

Really? The 3MB Voda package has 40GB download and unlimited upload. That's not bad.

That's less than half BT's cap (100GB/month). Crappy enough deal IMO.

That's less than half BT's cap (100GB/month). Crappy enough deal IMO.
    Are people going to be forced onto Vodafone or can they opt to stay with the current package deals with BT? Why aren't BT contacting their customers?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I was under the impression that everyone who was a BT subscriber got a letter detailing this quite some time ago stating they would be soon moving over to Vodafone.

From what I understand everyone will move over to Vodafone as BT have sold their residential customer base to Vodafone, but it's going to be in a staged process so connections won't be migrated in one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Well I'm with BT many years and I didn't receive any letter for them.
    First I heard anything about this was here only last week! :eek:

For god's sake BT get yourself sorted out!

• Advertisement

That letter said nothing beyond what I knew already. Vodafone are taking over BT's customer base.

I want to know what happens to LLU customers and their speeds, cap limits and if a customer was on LLU and asked to upgrade their download cap, what do they then do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

I signed up in April this year to stay with BT for 18 months, for which I received 4 months half price.

I am now concerned with the swop over to Voda as the 60gb limit rather than 100gb I currently have is a seriously putting me off. I am assuming because they are different companies and Voda are not offering the exact same package, that I can break the 18 month contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

That letter said nothing beyond what I knew already. Vodafone are taking over BT's customer base.

I want to know what happens to LLU customers and their speeds, cap limits and if a customer was on LLU and asked to upgrade their download cap, what do they then do.
    This is what I came across, not sure if this gives you any definite answer though.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/13681/comms/bt-and-vodafone-llu-pact-approved-by-competition-authority

branners69 wrote: »
    I signed up in April this year to stay with BT for 18 months, for which I received 4 months half price.

I am now concerned with the swop over to Voda as the 60gb limit rather than 100gb I currently have is a seriously putting me off. I am assuming because they are different companies and Voda are not offering the exact same package, that I can break the 18 month contract?
    If you're unhappy, then yes, I think you can opt out. This was mentioned before. I'd say the offer to opt out of contract is time-limited so if you want to go, go now!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Got a letter in the post the other day with some information. Going to get moved to Vodafone at the end of November, savings of approx 6% (€2 or so) and an increase from 7.6mb to 8mb. Only thing I was worried about was the cap but it's 100GB so not too bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

You can migrate earlier to Voda if you want, just ring them.
    I was on BT +24/7 inclusive calls +3Mb BB for about 55 a month
    Will be moving to Voda at 7MB for about 52 a month.
    The official line is it takes 10 days for voice calls to be moved and 21 for BB, also get a wireless router for free.

So a few quid saving and faster BB. I wasn't sure if it was worth my while to go to the 7MB but the helpful operator checked it and told me that it could do about 6.1 so was worth it.
    I'm not bothered about the UK calls so can't remember if that was going to be included.

JackieChan wrote: »
    You can migrate earlier to Voda if you want, just ring them.
    I was on BT +24/7 inclusive calls +3Mb BB for about 55 a month
    Will be moving to Voda at 7MB for about 52 a month.
    The official line is it takes 10 days for voice calls to be moved and 21 for BB, also get a wireless router for free.

So a few quid saving and faster BB. I wasn't sure if it was worth my while to go to the 7MB but the helpful operator checked it and told me that it could do about 6.1 so was worth it.
    I'm not bothered about the UK calls so can't remember if that was going to be included.
    Be warned that the eircom wholesale system that gives those estimates are just that. An estimate based on the attenuation and possibly a couple of other specs of the line. You could get more, but the line may be set to 6144/384 or even 5120/384 for stability reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Got a letter in the post the other day with some information. Going to get moved to Vodafone at the end of November, savings of approx 6% (€2 or so) and an increase from 7.6mb to 8mb. Only thing I was worried about was the cap but it's 100GB so not too bad :)

8mb down is cool, is the upload 512 or 384 on the voda deal?

I'm still waiting for for BT to send me any new at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

Is the download cap definitely 100gb? I had heard it was only 60gb?

Was there also an offer of free mobile calls for 2 nominated vodafone numbers?

• Advertisement

Our letter mentioned nothing of upload speed (as far as I can recall) so I think it'll probably remain the same as before (384k). Will check later on though when I get home.

Advertisement