Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Dont do Broadband anymore ? But use vodafone instead ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

Ive still to ring Eircom broadband to reconnect the line.

Im not goin to to go with Magnet broadband they want to charge me 55 euro for 10 mb broadband with no telly. except for 5 channels on the laptop.

will prob go with smart telecom

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

my letter from Vodafone

WAS @ BT
    Broadband + Talk Option 2
    3Mb line, 30GB allowance, Bi-monthly billing, €45.19

NEW @ Vodafone
    Vodafone at home up to 3Mb and Talk
    3Mb line, 40GB allowance, Monthly billing, €39.00

My only concern is how they will treat their caps as I'm pretty well self disciplined to just under 100GB a month after been throttled a few times.
    If they throttle at less than 100GB I'm outta there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Got my letter today and will be switched over near the end of Nov.
    Currently on BT Broadband and Total Talk Option 2 ( unlimited calls anytime, 3mb Broadband and 30GB allowance) costing €56.18 monthly.

When I switch same as above only Broadband goes up to 7mb and download allowance goest to 60GB and the cost comes down to €52. Oh and I get 200 mins worth of free calls to three Vodafone mobile numbers per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I got a generic letter from BT a month or so ago, without details of date or new deal.

Today I got a voice mail from BT asking to call a 1850 number and that I must have my account number. I find it a bit cheeky, as in WE want to talk to you, but YOU must fulfil our pre-requisites first....

Not bothered calling them back to be honest under those terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Zynks wrote: »
    I got a generic letter from BT a month or so ago, without details of date or new deal.

Today I got a voice mail from BT asking to call a 1850 number and that I must have my account number. I find it a bit cheeky, as in WE want to talk to you, but YOU must fulfil our pre-requisites first....

Not bothered calling them back to be honest under those terms.
    They must have called you and you did not pick up.

• Advertisement

CutzEr wrote: »
    They must have called you and you did not pick up.

Sure, but do you leave voice mails telling people to call you back and that they MUST have the info they want first? I really don't feel like digging out my account number for the sake of finding out what they want.

By the way, has anyone noticed that their BT online bills (current and old ones) going missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 medelina

Word of warning regarding the better value of vodafone compared to bt. I noticed that the price of ringing an irish mobile is a lot more expensive with vodafone than previously with bt. obviously if it's a vodafone mobile you have 200 mins, but for other mobiles vodafone say "Landline-to-mobile calls for only 20c per minute." whereas even with the most basic bt packages it's 13.56cper minute. so that's a 50% increase.

I'm wondering what the rates for UK / international calls are on vodafone as well? for bt they range from included to 8.02 c/m. might give them a call or email to find out if no here knows

On the total talk option with BT, calls to landlines in the UK were free. I assume its still the same with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 medelina

yeah, I rang them and if you're transferring from BT, like me, you'll still get the uk calls free. I didn't find out the call charges for anywhere else as it's calls to UK landlines that I'll be using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

pissed wrote: »
    Got my letter today and will be switched over near the end of Nov.
    Currently on BT Broadband and Total Talk Option 2 ( unlimited calls anytime, 3mb Broadband and 30GB allowance) costing €56.18 monthly.

When I switch same as above only Broadband goes up to 7mb and download allowance goest to 60GB and the cost comes down to €52. Oh and I get 200 mins worth of free calls to three Vodafone mobile numbers per month.

Got that one too, don't think my exchange supports 3mb on adsl though so we'll see. :D Also, will we be getting a new page to check usage on as bts one was ****e.

• Advertisement

so if I go with vodafone will I still have to use there stupid wireless modem or is it dsl ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

It's DSL. Nothing should change from the user's end.

Wasnt supposed to be changed over until the 24th Nov but seems my broadband has gone to 7mb already :D happy days.

620735793.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Still waiting for letter about any of this from BT.

Wonder will I be transfered without even being told ?...

when is Imagine Wii Max broadband goin online to people too buy.

Will it bring down the prices of low speed broadband in ireland.

I really hope it does and sort of brings us out of out broadband problem we.ve been having I no it wont but suppose its a start.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

god's toy wrote: »
    Still waiting for letter about any of this from BT.

Wonder will I be transfered without even being told ?...

Normally you are notified when it will happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'm being ported over on Nov. 24th......soooo scared!, will i be charged more?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Got a letter in the post the other day with some information. Going to get moved to Vodafone at the end of November, savings of approx 6% (€2 or so) and an increase from 7.6mb to 8mb. Only thing I was worried about was the cap but it's 100GB so not too bad :)

Thats crap, it won't go to 8mb at all....just 7.6mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

they better not screw us on the upload speed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bone Idol

623651395.png
    I don't think I have ever seen it over 7Mb/s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 aka_breeno

You guys think you have it bad??

625622355.png

I lived in Wales for the past 3 years (8MB!!!XD) but now my self an my boyfriend moved home to my parents and there still living off 1MB line.Thing is,we deciced to upgrade to a 7MB line but when we rang bt told us we couldnt change till they switched to vodafone.(Needless to say this was the first we'd heard of any switch!)

Now,my parents have been with bt since 06,and consists of bt Broadband and Total Talk Option 1. for €48.15 a month.

1MB line
    free uk calls (standard hang-up-an-call-back after 59 mins)
    ditto local and national
    line rental included

BUT...and this is a big but, our contract was a 1mb speed with UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD ALLOWANCE. I set the account up for my parents in 06 and the only reason we went with them is BECAUSE of the unlimited allowance.

So now yesterday I recieve a letter from Vodafne saying how pleased they were to blah blah blah...butclaimes my current contract has a 10GB download cap and states that line spped will increase to 3MB (wohoo) but will be capped at 40GB!!!!!!!!!!!

NOw Im all for better speeds but 40GB cap???? Im on umlimited now and I want to stay unlimited DAMMIT!!!!!!

SURLEY THEY CANY JUST CHOP N CHANGE AS THEY FEEL LIKE IT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

just got my letter. Moved from BT bb and talk 3 to Voda at home and talk. speed stays the same (7.6 or 8 in voda terms..), price gone down by 2.23 but cap gone from unlimited to 100gb.
    think i'll see about ntl instead

eircom reconnecting my line next tuesday and then Im goin to make the switch to someone else.

not sure who but i can't get ntl

its going to be down to magnet smart usless you guys have any better ideas Im not goin to stick with eircom but no way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Got my letter confirming changeover on Dec 8th. However when I looked the finer print those on the 7.6Mb are losing out as our Cap is now 100Mb. Whats even worse is that our contention ratio moves from 24:1 to 48:1.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/homebroadband/btcharges#tariff-6

This halves our minimum speed at peak times. You can try them out for 7 days but if it seems noticably slower then I might finally move to NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Vodafone: Kelly

kmick wrote: »
    Got my letter confirming changeover on Dec 8th. However when I looked the finer print those on the 7.6Mb are losing out as our Cap is now 100Mb. Whats even worse is that our contention ratio moves from 24:1 to 48:1.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/homebroadband/btcharges#tariff-6

This halves our minimum speed at peak times. You can try them out for 7 days but if it seems noticably slower then I might finally move to NTL.
    Hi all,

Just to clarify, the contention ratio is actually 12:1 not 48:1. There was a typo on our site which is now being corrected so thanks for pointing this out. If you have any questions or need support with Vodafone / BT Broadband - feel free to post at our dedicated Talk to Vodafone thread at Boards.ie. Myself / Paul are here help between 10 am and 2pm each week day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Hi all,

Just to clarify, the contention ratio is actually 12:1 not 48:1. There was a typo on our site which is now being corrected so thanks for pointing this out. If you have any questions or need support with Vodafone / BT Broadband - feel free to post at our dedicated Talk to Vodafone thread at Boards.ie. Myself / Paul are here help between 10 am and 2pm each week day.
    Thanks!. Oh and i'm sure you also wanted to point out it's 100GB cap not MB.

Can you tell me, is the upload speed going to be the VERY same as with BT when we move or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Hi all,

Thanks Kelly - in that case Ill stick with you once my trial period is succesful. To be fair I have always found BT provided a good service. One question will there be any incentives to move our mobiles to Vodaphone in the post?

god's toy wrote: »
    Thanks!. Oh and i'm sure you also wanted to point out it's 100GB cap not MB.

Can you tell me, is the upload speed going to be the VERY same as with BT when we move or not?
    Yes I can confirm that the upload speed will be the same.

kmick wrote: »
    Thanks Kelly - in that case Ill stick with you once my trial period is succesful. To be fair I have always found BT provided a good service. One question will there be any incentives to move our mobiles to Vodaphone in the post?
    Hi kmick,

I haven't heard of anything specifically on this yet but will pass your feedback onto the relevant teams here in Vodafone.

• Advertisement

I just got the details of my deal:
    from 3 Mb to 3 Mb, cap from 30 to 40 Gb, price down from €46.19 to €39. No mention of the discounted calls to mobiles, so I will enquire on Monday.

Not a bad discount and I have no issue with the "de facto" tighter cap, but I would rather get a deal on 7Mbps at something closer to what I was paying for 3Mbps... has anyone in a similar situation tried changing the deal?

Advertisement