Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Dont do Broadband anymore ? But use vodafone instead ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

check out my thread on the vodafone forum, looks likely they will enforce the cap, 3mg line with a 40gig cap, joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭micks_address

couple of questions here:

i moved from BT to Vodafone myself as i was told it would be march next yeat before we'd be moved over.. anyhow got all setup and the transfer has been painless enough - but i have two issues..

1) when i check my download speed in the morning or early afternoon i am getting speeds of 6 mbps download.. but in the evenings this drops to about 1mbps.. is the contention ratio just very poor and i'm loosing out severily at night or is there something wrong with my connection?

2) in relation to download limit - this is my first month with vodafone.. so when i go to the page to check my download limit the pie chart shown says x gb of unlimited.. does that mean i dont have a download limit?

To me this chart (attached) means i havent gone over my limit for november...

Cheers,
    Mick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Vodafone guy?....did i see an option tp purchase extra download allowance?....as in if you go over 100GB you can purchase an 30GB ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭SeanW

Hey everyone,

It pays to do a little research. Here's my story, anyone going from BT to Vodafone will want to give the switch some examination.

I had the BT Broadband & Talk (i.e. 7.6MB broadband and Line Rental) for ... I hadn't followed it, I just knew my 'phone' bill usually came to about 115-130 every 2 months, but the letter I got from Vodafone identified the monthly cost of the package as €56.xx, and said I'd now get it for €54. Not bad.

BUT

I went to Vodafone.ie and looked at their main packages, and sure enough they have a group of line rental plus BB plus some calls, inclusive, for much less money than what BT was charging, I decided to go for the €40 package (line rental, 3MB BB, off peak calls) in search of lower costs (€16 a month, before off peak calls) and reduced interleaving.

Funny thing is, Vodafone's Line+BB only packages seem to be cheaper than their prices for ex-BT customers (for the 7.6MB package it would be €49 new from Vodafone as opposed to the €54 they mentioned in their letter to me as an ex-BT customer) and even those packages seem to be poor value for money (being the same or more expensive) than a package with calls.

So I think everyone who is in this BT>Vodafone switch needs to examine their current package, and current choices, very carefully. You could get something a lot better and/or cheaper than what you had with BT and what Vodafone is offering its ex-BT customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Vodafone: Paul

Vodafone guy?....did i see an option tp purchase extra download allowance?....as in if you go over 100GB you can purchase an 30GB ?

There's an add on of 30GB for €3.99 per month for all packages.
    You can have this added to your account by contacting our care teams, and it will be available in selfcare in the future also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 dadiomouse

Hey there.
    I`m a long-time BT customer & found the service to be perfect for my needs. I`ve been out of the country for a few months.

I have a few questions:

(Most important) I recieved online only billing with BT & just recieved my "final" online BT bill today - with a cost of 0.00Euro...
    it says that rental advance charges will be added to my next Vodafone bill (whenever I get that)...

So:
    1. *Where* can I see & pay this new Vodafone bill *online* (as I am currently out of the country for another month, & trying to carefully juggle credit card direct debits back home).

2. I was on the "BB + Talk" basic package - around 46 Euro -
    so I`m assuming my new monthly Vodafone bill to be the cheapest package @ 39.00-40.00 Euro - is that the case?...
    or...
    Should I expect some kind of additional rental rollover charges tacked on to my first Vodafone bill?

3. Most importantly:
    *When* can I expect to get my first direct debit from Vodafone?
    (I was usually online billed by BT on 24th of every 2nd month - with direct debits coming out of my credit card around 2 weeks after I got the bill.)

4: Could someone clarify 100% that I will now have unlimited upload with Vodafone (ie: no upload cap at all).

I`d appreciate answers to these questions...
    particularly the when & where`s my bill? ones.

There is no-one in the house to collect any mail so I`m hopeful/assuming that either BT or Vodafone will have the decency to forward this vital info to my (usual BT billing) email address - so I can pay it off *online* *asap* rather than having the possibility of my first bill bouncing.

The Vodafone switch looks good to me on paper (I get higher cap, unlmited upload & slightly cheaper price) - I`m just very concerned about where I can find my bill basically.

Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

What happens with customers that are currently getting 24Mb broadband? Downgraded back to 8? I see no mention of it on the Vodafone tarrifs page.

Also in terms of breaching cap, will the connection be throttled (as with BT) or will be it pay per MB exceeded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

you might want to check that if you do this your not put on the 384k upload speed limit and 60gb download cap. If you transfer from BT you get the same upload speed that you were getting and 100gb per month download limit..

SeanW wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

It pays to do a little research. Here's my story, anyone going from BT to Vodafone will want to give the switch some examination.

I had the BT Broadband & Talk (i.e. 7.6MB broadband and Line Rental) for ... I hadn't followed it, I just knew my 'phone' bill usually came to about 115-130 every 2 months, but the letter I got from Vodafone identified the monthly cost of the package as €56.xx, and said I'd now get it for €54. Not bad.

BUT

I went to Vodafone.ie and looked at their main packages, and sure enough they have a group of line rental plus BB plus some calls, inclusive, for much less money than what BT was charging, I decided to go for the €40 package (line rental, 3MB BB, off peak calls) in search of lower costs (€16 a month, before off peak calls) and reduced interleaving.

Funny thing is, Vodafone's Line+BB only packages seem to be cheaper than their prices for ex-BT customers (for the 7.6MB package it would be €49 new from Vodafone as opposed to the €54 they mentioned in their letter to me as an ex-BT customer) and even those packages seem to be poor value for money (being the same or more expensive) than a package with calls.

So I think everyone who is in this BT>Vodafone switch needs to examine their current package, and current choices, very carefully. You could get something a lot better and/or cheaper than what you had with BT and what Vodafone is offering its ex-BT customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,039 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

slave1 wrote: »
    check out my thread on the vodafone forum, looks likely they will enforce the cap, 3mg line with a 40gig cap, joke

Well if they try to enforce it on me ,I'll give them the boot.
    40Gb per month in this day and age is a farce.

Just got an email off BT with this months bill and its only for my phone calls up to Nov 23rd.
    Goes on to say we are delighted to confirm that your fixed line service has been transferred to Vodafone.WTF !
    I didnt get any letter confirming a switchover date .
    Will have to wait and see.More fun and games.

WARNING!!!....you'll be bill for THREE (3) months on your first Vodafone bill!
    nyone ported on Nov. 24th will have to pay Voda for Sept-Nov = 2 month + the December period.

So expect a triple bill on Dec 24th roughly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed a downgrade in performance since the change to Vodaphone?
    I was having problems off and on with BT before the swap, but since the swap it's been even worse. I can no longer get anything near the 8Mb I'm supposed to get and used to get most of the time with BT. At week-ends it drops even lower, to dial up speeds a lot of the time. :mad:
    I'm seriously thinking about finding another BB provider that can give me 8Mb for the same price or less. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭SeanW

anoble66 wrote: »
    you might want to check that if you do this your not put on the 384k upload speed limit and 60gb download cap. If you transfer from BT you get the same upload speed that you were getting and 100gb per month download limit..
    I chose to downgrade my package at this point because:
    1. I could use the money
    2. I am looking for lower interleaving (and lower ping, better for games) which is associated with not trying to get every last kb/s out of a potentially low quality line. Option 3 lines by Eircom specs set interleaving to max, they turn it down with lower Options. Or so I read.
    3. I didn't get much more than 4??k upload anyway as I'm 2km from the exchange.

The key point is this, even if I had wanted to stay on 7.6 package, I would need to change packages to get value for money, as Vodafone's best packages seem to be the line+bb+some calls packages as offered to new customers.

The pricing for ex-BT customers seems to be quite screwy, followed by prices for "broadband only" packages which are just a little screwy, costing the same or more than line rental+bb+calls packages.

Allowing for all this, the nearest package to my old BT Broadband Option 3 + Talk (line rental+bb) is Vodafone's 7Meg BB only package which costs €49 per month.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/broadbandonly/

But, the 7MB "off-peak" package is €48!
    http://www.vodafone.ie/homebroadband/
    The most expensive package offered anywhere on Vodafone.ie is the 7MB "Anytime" package which at €52 is €2 per month LESS than the €54 price Vodafone offered me for 7MB BB with NO calls whatsoever.

Allowing for my previous package specifications and the fact that off-peak calls don't seem to add any costs to packages (with one even being cheaper!), Vodafone SHOULD have offered me the service at €49 not €54.

In short, it looks like ex-BT customers might be getting a raw deal - by default - and that's why such ex-BT customers need to examine their options closely.

nyone ported on Nov. 24th will have to pay Voda for Sept-Nov = 2 month + the December period.

That`s exactly what I was expecting (but on a first Nov.24th bill) - but I guess Vodafone don`t bill for rental in advance (which is a good thing)...
    still, Vodafone Paul: if you`re there, please clarify that to be the case...
    I got my last BT bill on 24th of Nov (see my post & questions up above)
    cos I can`t access my bill or anything from here at the moment...
    & even tho it`s good to know that it seems I don`t have t worry for another month - I`d like to be absolutely 100% certain on that.

(Also, seriously hope I`m not auto upgraded to 7mb package, I`d much rather pay less than more, & my line is prehistoric & bad enough as it is - a n auto up to 7mb would kill it I`m sure.)

way too many posts about reduced b/band performance and lower cap so I just switched to UPC, not worth the hassle

good old BT, charged me a BB cancellation fee of €150:rolleyes:, planks [sorted now]
    watch your bills those of you who decided not to transfer to Voda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,039 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Why would that be the case ?
    BT bill for line rental in advance so I have already paid that in my Sept bill for Oct and Nov.
    The Nov 24th bill covers call charges so that is paid too.
    Vodafone can only charge from Nov 24th on ,so the Dec 24th bill will cover line rental from Nov 24th - Feb 24th ,3 months, plus call charges for 1 month.

well.....got moved over to vodafone on Friday...all I can say is first impressions are not good at all. I never had any problems with my previous 7.6mb connection with BT....latency has increased by 25ms within Ireland and I am getting 20% packet loss. If this is a sign of things to come then I will be leaving Vodafone very fast..:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I must say I'm not looking forward to the transfer to Vodafone BB. I'm locked into my contraact till April and I'll give them the time to see what happens but in April I may have to make the move to .....god I cant say it...Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    I must say I'm not looking forward to the transfer to Vodafone BB. I'm locked into my contraact till April and I'll give them the time to see what happens but in April I may have to make the move to .....god I cant say it...Eircom.

I am fairly sure you are entitled to move. The lock will no longer be applicable once you are moved. Can't remember where I read it, probably BT's Q&As.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Here you go:
    If you are happy with the proposed new plan you don't have to do anything. To make sure you can take full advantage of the benefits, the package pricing will be backdated to your final BT bill date. If you decide not to stay with Vodafone please let us know on 1904 within 30 days and we will arrange to cease your account without penalty as soon as possible.

Source: http://www.btireland.ie/home/vodafone_customernotification.shtml

• Advertisement

^ forgot about BT billing two month in advance, so will Voda bill two month in advance also for line rental?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

^ forgot about BT billing two month in advance, so will Voda bill two month in advance also for line rental?

I left BT because they only invoice every 2 months .

Gods sake , everyone gets paid either weekly , fortnightly , or monthly .

How do they expect people to budget for a bill that only comes around every 2 months

@ some above posters:

Afaik, BT always charge rental in advance.
    Vodafone never do.

So, it seems that those who got switched over this month got a final BT bill for 0.00 rental & threw that 2 month rental (Oct/Nov) onto Vodafone...
    so, Vodafone then hang on for 1 month (Dec) & charge you for that 1 month rental...
    (2 months BT rental + 1 month Vodafone rental = 3 months rental (Oct/Nov/Dec) for the first Vodafone bill,
    issued on 24th of Dec - to be paid before 7th of Jan).

Hope that clears it up (sounds right to me but have yet to confirm).

All I want to know is *where can I find my new Vodafone bill online & pay it online* (being abroad & having no way to check my post).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Zynks wrote: »

Cheers Zynks I'll wait till I get the letter detailing the change. I contacted BT about the move and was told in no uncertain terms that I couldn't change until April as the contract was going to be transfered to vodafone. I then queried the fact that my 'actual contract' was with BT and not with vodafone and was told to contact BT if I had any queries... I mean I was already talking to them and they told me to contact them!! Seriously. Will wait to see whats in the letter and will then change providers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

hello all. my friend asked me to see if any of you have a problem connecting to vodaphone broadband he was with bt but they said you shouldn't see a difference with the changeover. he cannot get internet access on anyones pc in his house this happened yesterday i was wondering if anyone has a problem with them as of now in the swords area thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

What modem does he have, and does he ahve a DSL and internet light on?

If so, make sure he is not specifying the DNS servers as they changed over when the transfer happened so if he's using the old ones they won't work, the same broke a friends connection.

check out this thread:-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055738410

Plenty of people are getting a very intermittant/ slow connection now they are switched over - myself included. Since the switchover I am getting 31% packet loss, and very high jitter....basically its not even useable.:mad:

How the fck did they manage to mess this up....its even still going over the same esat infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Vodafone sent us a letter saying as of the 24th of November we would automatically transfer from BT to Vodafone and our line speed would increase from 1mb to 3mb.....

Nothing happened on the 24th until today and after 1 hour on the phone to tech support/customer care, they couldn't tell us why our line hadn't been upgraded or when it will be.

Terrible start to being a vodafone customer, and will definately change back to eircom asap.

Oh, and the line is capable because at one stage we had up to 7mb on the same line.

believe me, your better off not getting switched over...the service is dire. Support is clueless....they even downgraded my line today to 6mb even though I have been running at 7.6 with BT for a long time now without any problems....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

devnull wrote: »
    What modem does he have, and does he ahve a DSL and internet light on?

If so, make sure he is not specifying the DNS servers as they changed over when the transfer happened so if he's using the old ones they won't work, the same broke a friends connection.

he fixed it just now so i'm waiting to see what he done. i do know he gave them a call.

Advertisement