Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Dont do Broadband anymore ? But use vodafone instead ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

We're lucky enough to be in one of the handful of exchanges that has access to unbundled Smart Telecom 24mbit/s service.

We've been with BT for yonks though, back to the Esat days.

I was just wondering, is it a big upheaval to switch over to Smart? i.e. is there a major disruption to the voice service while they carry out the change over?

I used Smart at a different address a few years ago and it was an absolutely amazingly good ISP. Best I've ever used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I'm supposed to be switched from BT 3Mb to VF 7Mb, and although speedtest.net reports a speed of 6.1Mbps, torrents do not exceed 90KB/s. On the old BT I could easily maximize the connection to about 330KB/s. Are VF slowing things down??

I'll be switching to NTL in the new year if this continues. Get rid of Eircom too :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Zynks wrote: »
    I just got the details of my deal:
    from 3 Mb to 3 Mb, cap from 30 to 40 Gb, price down from €46.19 to €39. No mention of the discounted calls to mobiles, so I will enquire on Monday.

Not a bad discount and I have no issue with the "de facto" tighter cap, but I would rather get a deal on 7Mbps at something closer to what I was paying for 3Mbps... has anyone in a similar situation tried changing the deal?

I had posted the above when BT's billing system was down. I just checked it again, and my price with BT was €41.43 after the discounts, not €46.19 as the letter claimed. Why would they bother lying on that one? :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

jazuz, this thread just goes on and on, so glad I skipped VF and went to UPC, solid 10Mb connection and no problems porting the router to utorrent, have pulled down good torrents at 1.1Mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

40 KB/s now :(

I have a choice of NTL or Magnet, which would be better? As in, not throttling legal downloads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

rocky wrote: »
    40 KB/s now :(

I have a choice of NTL or Magnet, which would be better? As in, not throttling legal downloads?

ntl is the way to go. ntl/chorus are not into throttling anything so i reccon thats the best to go with IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Vodafone's routing servers are muck. Does anyone remember the debacle with Perlico a few months ago? Vodafone had it too, but there were fewer Vodafone DSL customers at the time. Websites outside of Ireland left totally inaccessible and the request diverted on a merry-go-round to Vodafone Deutschland.

Currently although this connection works okay in general, I can say that torrents never really work over 20 kBps on a 1 meg connection. They might burst to 100 kBps every so often, but this is usually for less than a minute. The number of available seeders seems to be irrelevant to speed obtained.

Regardless, I've noticed "unusual" behaviour in my browsing experience since then. Still get the odd website acting as though it's not available. Then I check it with http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com and I'm told that it is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Vodafone's routing servers are muck. Does anyone remember the debacle with Perlico a few months ago? Vodafone had it too, but there were fewer Vodafone DSL customers at the time. Websites outside of Ireland left totally inaccessible and the request diverted on a merry-go-round to Vodafone Deutschland.

Currently although this connection works okay in general, I can say that torrents never really work over 20 kBps on a 1 meg connection. They might burst to 100 kBps every so often, but this is usually for less than a minute. The number of available seeders seems to be irrelevant to speed obtained.

Regardless, I've noticed "unusual" behaviour in my browsing experience since then. Still get the odd website acting as though it's not available. Then I check it with http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com and I'm told that it is available.
    I am wit VF from BT, and the net is very poor and slow..

:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭bush doctor

Is anyone here on the Naas exchange?

From a billing point of view we haven't been transferred to Vodafone yet - for the past week however we have been experiencing terrible download speeds.

BT support are telling us it's our router or wiring, but I'm not so sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Google's Public DNS Servers:

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'm on BT/vodafone 7.6mb package but only getting about 5mb now since the switch.
    I was jsut wondering, vodafone have now taken overm is there still a cap of 100gbs per month?

BTW, i didn't personally move from BT to vodafone, i presume all BT customers were auto transferred to vodafone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

For the last few days I've been getting lots of returned emails, from all types of addresses, not just hotmail or yahoo, which can be the problem ones.
    I had 20+ returned tonight. Not good. :mad:
    Checked the BT site for problems concerning emails after the swap and all it suggested was to change the SMTP setting to mail.iol.ie. But it's been set at that for a few years.
    People must be leaving Vodaphone in droves and I'll be joining them soon if things don't improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

I noticed that ftp speed to heanet has gone back to normal.
    But since this line routed through vodafone there has definately been an inpact on quality.

Also BT solid it's entire home and small business to vodafone whether you like it or not.
    Not even offered a new router or anything for giving our business to them nice. Thanks BT for your customer service.

I'm having doubts about "no" traffic shaping claims too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

According to this there not but i have also seen degraded performance with torrents. What about our user names and router settings could they be messed up??? I am using a netgear and configured with info Bt told me (3 years ago)Also usually once a day have to reset router(1 am)

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

artielange wrote: »
    Also usually once a day have to reset router(1 am)

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

Lucky for you, I have to reset my Vodafone modem 3 or 4 times a day. That dosn't include the numberous drops I get everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'm on BT/vodafone 7.6mb package but only getting about 5mb now since the switch.
    I was jsut wondering, vodafone have now taken overm is there still a cap of 100gbs per month?

BTW, i didn't personally move from BT to vodafone, i presume all BT customers were auto transferred to vodafone??

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Got a reply form BT regarding the bouncing emails...

"The issue lies with the transfer over to Vodafone. In our testing, you may connect to the Vodafone server and they are having a spam related issue with this and Hotmail appears to be blocked.

Until they solve this issue, it's best advised to simple powercycle your router for 30 seconds to return to our service. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and this issue should be solved soon.

Regards,

| BT Ireland | residentialsupport@btireland.ie | 1890 923 111"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Google's Public DNS Servers:

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    Haven't got round to changing them on the computer in question yet. I've already done so on my other connection.

Clarification: The problem with Voda/Perlico DSL a few months ago had nothing to do with DNS and was a totally separate problem to the famous eircom DNS issues which happened around the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I wouldn't worry about a download cap with this service, it would take about 10 years to download a 100gigs with these speeds.

I have to also reset my router, but for me it's every time on turn on my PC.

Awful work Vodafone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I wouldn't worry about a download cap with this service, it would take about 10 years to download a 100gigs with these speeds.

I have to also reset my router, but for me it's every time on turn on my PC.

Awful work Vodafone.

LOL!....i know it's not intended to be funny, it's not when your paying them money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 medelina

Got a letter from vodafone last week saying I'd be changed over on Jan 8th and my 1Mb download would be upgraded to 3Mb. Noticed today that my podcasts seemed to be coming in faster. Did a speed test and it's 2.54Mbs, so must have been changed over already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Switched to BT earlier this year, and had no problems until about a week or so ago, internet really slow, some sites not accessible (i tried that downforeveryone site to confirm like yourself) and I find it drops connection frequently - maybe half a dozen times a day. I'm out in the sticks, so speed is always going to be an issue, but it was manageable until recently but it is getting to be a joke now. Vodaf - please get with the program....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I have a number if devices hanging off my router: iPhone, Wii, Laptop x2 & a PC. Never had an issue with BT for last 3 years, recently the service has gone to pot, no Internet conection messages, the need to reset router constantly.
    Terrible service, I am actually thinking of switching to Eircom :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Have been switched over for the past couple of weeks with no problems. However tonight my speed has dropped and ranges from 2 to 3 megs on a 7 meg connection. Couple of sites refusing to open. Hope this is just a temp glitch or I will be looking elsewhere :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

After watchng all the new adverts for the BT Home Hub 2.0 I bought one online a few weeks ago.

I received it via post Thursday and when I attempted to set it up, it told me I could not use it with the service I had (these new routersare locked down via firmware to work on BT networks only).

I contacted BT for technical support to ask why the BT Home Hub 2.0 I just purchased did not work with my BT service. They informed me as of last week I am now a Vodafone customer.

So I have a new BT Home Hub 2.0 with Wireless N capability, but it appears since there is no more BT in Ireland it cannot be used here as they have them all hardware locked to work only with their service.

Funny thing is I rang Vodafone to ask if there was any way to get this router to work on their network. They tell me they have no record of me and my account as well as phone number is not in their system. Since they can't find me in the system then I am not a Vodaphone customer, so they can't help me either.

I still have broadband, I haven't had a bill in a while, so I'm not complaining...yet. I just don't want to find some huge bill in a few months once they get their accounts sorted.

In th meantime maybe someone will hack the firmware so we can use these routers on other networks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GauchoMarx

I too received the letter stating that I will be moved as of 08/01 but my vodafone login detail work already. Furthermore they have already capped my upload and download speeds from 7.6/0.52 to 7.1/0.3

As before the switch I still only get 1Mb max, even radio streams run out of buffer.
    According to BT I practically sit right on top of the Glenbrook exchange (about 900m) and the exchange has already been equipped to handle 20Mb connections.
    And ever since the switch my 1Mb max / 7.6Mb advertised connection has become even slower...

oh, and my torrent download speed seems to be capped at about 1/3 of the line capacity...

will wait till Tuesday to see if it improves at all... if not I will leave them too... heading over to Novanetworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

Can they offer the same service as Bt ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Naillik

with vodafone here.

I've been able to download (torrents,games from steam etc.) for the past two weeks at speeds of around 750 kb/s.

Today it wouldn't go past 200-230 kb/s,So I checked my router homepage,and it indicates that I have a connection speed of 2mb and before it said 7mb.

Even though I pay for 7mb(as noted on the latest bill).....I'm a bit pissed off right now to be honest,going to ring them up tommorow.
    Anyone know why the speed would be downgraded like that,without being notified?

they better not F***ing tell me that 7mb is not available in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BadCRC

CptSternn wrote: »
    After watchng all the new adverts for the BT Home Hub 2.0 I bought one online a few weeks ago.

I received it via post Thursday and when I attempted to set it up, it told me I could not use it with the service I had (these new routersare locked down via firmware to work on BT networks only).

I contacted BT for technical support to ask why the BT Home Hub 2.0 I just purchased did not work with my BT service. They informed me as of last week I am now a Vodafone customer.

So I have a new BT Home Hub 2.0 with Wireless N capability, but it appears since there is no more BT in Ireland it cannot be used here as they have them all hardware locked to work only with their service.

Funny thing is I rang Vodafone to ask if there was any way to get this router to work on their network. They tell me they have no record of me and my account as well as phone number is not in their system. Since they can't find me in the system then I am not a Vodaphone customer, so they can't help me either.

I still have broadband, I haven't had a bill in a while, so I'm not complaining...yet. I just don't want to find some huge bill in a few months once they get their accounts sorted.

In th meantime maybe someone will hack the firmware so we can use these routers on other networks...

I'm afraid the BT Home Hub is a UK only piece of kit. It won't work over here on any network including BT. It's because of the way it authenticates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Having trouble again with sites opening, even down to Google. Have checked with speedtest and pingtest and am getting excellent results but this is becomming a bit too regular. On the waiting list to speak to a customer representative ..... reminds me of my early BT days :mad:

Advertisement