Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Dont do Broadband anymore ? But use vodafone instead ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

pissed wrote: »
    Having trouble again with sites opening, even down to Google. Have checked with speedtest and pingtest and am getting excellent results but this is becomming a bit too regular. On the waiting list to speak to a customer representative ..... reminds me of my early BT days :mad:

I have the same problem. My speeds on speedtest and pingtest are fine but the web browsing experience is very sluggish at times. Sometimes it seems pretty good and others its very poor. I've tried different dns address (googles and provided by vodafone) but all the same it seems. My line is fine and i never had this type of problem with digi or bt. I've recently had the huawei modem replaced with the bewan and while the bewan is far better than the huawei my problems persist. I wonder is it a bandwidth issue?

If the customer rep solves it for you (unlikely i feel) be sure to share the info :D

Im still recovering from my last calls to the support line trying to get it throught to them that the huawei was causing a noise on my phone line. The eircom tech who came out actually said the huawei was shorting out the line. The most sense i could get out of the support line was that there was nothing they could do about the noise at the moment and it was my browser that was causing the pictures not to load correctly. Well, the pictures now load much better with the bewan and the noise is gone now with huawei gone but the sluggish performance remains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It must be a DNS issue, my download speeds are fine....but general web browsing, clicking on links, missing embedded images, sluggish Youtube or streaming video, web pages not found etc.

I don't think it's the Huwai modem, my Netgear modem is also effected, it must be an internal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

It must be a DNS issue, my download speeds are fine....but general web browsing, clicking on links, missing embedded images, sluggish Youtube or streaming video, web pages not found etc.

I don't think it's the Huwai modem, my Netgear modem is also effected, it must be an internal thing.

I agree with you, it cant all be blamed on the huawei, even though it difinitely did cause some. Even with the new modem installed i get random hangs. Like trying to quote you for example, it took me three hits and 2 browser back clicks to get the box up?? yet other times i try it its fine. But when i check my speeds there are always good. My 1 meg digi connection was more responsive than this, although obviously not as quick in downloading. Ive yet to try this on an online game i used to like, im dreading it and if i cant play it it could be the nail in the coffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sativa

Hi im with BT broadband and am wondering has anyone had a increase in speed? I had the 1mb package and my results in speedtest.net were allways around .7 or .8 mb/s. I noticed my downloads going faster and checked it and my speed today seems to be around 2.1 or 2.2 mb/s. Have BT increased there 1mb package to 2mb since changing to vodafone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Sativa wrote: »
    Hi im with BT broadband and am wondering has anyone had a increase in speed? I had the 1mb package and my results in speedtest.net were allways around .7 or .8 mb/s. I noticed my downloads going faster and checked it and my speed today seems to be around 2.1 or 2.2 mb/s. Have BT increased there 1mb package to 2mb since changing to vodafone?

Not sure on the 1mb package but the original BT 3mb package went to 7mb. They should have sent you out written notification about the change and how it will affect you (allowances and speed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Did those with DNS problems try changing their DNS address settings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Getting a bit worried now after reading this...

I got the letter in the post today telling me I'll be moved to Vodafone of the 14th of January, and that I can "look forward" to 200 free minutes to any 3 vodafone numbers (useless to me as I have meteor's free calls/texts to ANY network package).

DSL Package (it says) is staying the same at "up to" 8MB, but the cap has gone from unlimited to 100GB (per month I assume - what day is the rollover .. the 1st?)

Price going down from €67.23 to €62 per month it says.

I've had all sorts of billing issues with BT over the 2 years I've had them (to the point where I now just email the head of their consumer division any time I need something done), but I suppose I'll give it a month with Vodafone before making any decisions - I may have to downgrade anyway for financial reasons because it doesn't make much sense to be paying for a calls package when me and the other half have the aforementioned free calls and texts package from Meteor.

Someone mentioned a page to check usage on Vodafone - is this live yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Vodafone don't have 1/2/3Mb packages like BT did. The lowest is 3Mb and anyone who had lower through BT will theoretically be getting higher speeds (up to 3Mb - whatever your line can handle).

I've gone from 1Mb speeds to about 2Mb (my line isn't great) in the last couple of days. Not noticed any stability issues yet, but my ping is a little higher. The letter I got said the I was being switched over in early January, so maybe they're ahead of schedule with others too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

The letter I received from Voda stated that I will be moved on 5th Jan. Noticed my broadband slowing down lately and checked the router to find out that I am on Voda already. My speed went down from 7mb to 3mb :mad: My line check on Voda site says I can not get 7Mb which I had since BT upgraded my 3Mb . I'll give the sticks after xmas over this one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Mmmmm, €31 per month for a speed of 3.4 kb per second, oh that's value. Thank you vodafone you absolute joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Got my letter yesterday and must say am VERY apprehensive. I'm being transfered over on the 14th of Jan. I ran a speed check suring the week and according to the speedtest I'm on the vodafone network. Asked vodafone and they say I'm not there yet. At the minute the only plus is that i'm currently on 3mB and they have transfered me to the 7mB package for €4 less per month. I've got 30 days to switch so will wait till the last day before making up my mind. Unless of course the BB is total [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL]!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Vodafone don't have 1/2/3Mb packages like BT did. The lowest is 3Mb and anyone who had lower through BT will theoretically be getting higher speeds (up to 3Mb - whatever your line can handle).
    I know i got some correspondence in the last few weeks ref. the switchover but can't put my hands on it right now. How do I know for sure if my line is now operated by Vodafone?
    I had a 1Mb deal - so will be interesting to see if theres any improvement (doesn't seem to have been yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Have a look at Speedtest.net - it'll show your IP address and who your ISP is based on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Have a look at Speedtest.net - it'll show your IP address and who your ISP is based on that.
    Thanks Robert. Yes, it says vodafone Ireland.

Here are my results:
    Download: 2.62Mb/s
    Upload: .32Mb/s
    Ping: 52ms

I'm a bit confused - as according to that, having been upgraded from a 1Mb package I should have noticed a difference....

May have someone moving into the house that downloads heavily. Have told him he can do so if he pays the difference for the 7Mb package. Am i right in thinking I wont hit any enforceable download threshold with vodafone on this package??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Ever since being moved to Vodafone my BB is constantly disconnecting. I NEVER had a disconnection before in the 4 years I've been with BT besides the outages which affected everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

I got the letter saying the "automatic" change would happen on the 23rd of November and the line would be upgraded from 1mb to 3mb.

1 month on, 2x1hr calls to Vodafone support....and sending a letter to the guy named on the original snail mail letter from Vodafone, nothing has changed. Infact they seem to know nothing in Vodafone, being sent from one side of the company to the other and eventually being hung up on.

Still on 1mb (and we know the line is capable from having the 7mb package previously).

Very poor service, will change to UPC asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,516 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

center15 wrote: »
    Ever since being moved to Vodafone my BB is constantly disconnecting. I NEVER had a disconnection before in the 4 years I've been with BT besides the outages which affected everyone.
    This is happening to me too, loads of disconnects and then alot of DNS errors. Only seemed to happen when I changed over the hardware from the BT modem to the VF one. I fear my daughter's first words are going to be 'Arrg F****** vodafone'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Right so Vodafone seem to be a bit of a nightmare all round then?

What (DSL) provider should I move to then that'd offer me as close to the same package (broadband only though) as I have with BT?

Key requirements:
    7MB download
    decent cap (or none/not enforced)
    no filtering

I've had a look through the major providers (eircom, digiweb etc) but they all seem to be crippled with tiny download caps.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

duploelabs wrote: »
    This is happening to me too, loads of disconnects and then alot of DNS errors. Only seemed to happen when I changed over the hardware from the BT modem to the VF one. I fear my daughter's first words are going to be 'Arrg F****** vodafone'

O GOD can i agree:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I associate with what your are saying, I have rang, phoned and E-mailed
    But to no avail. There costumer service it is nowhere.
    Was with BT for 5 years on 1Mb and my broadband never disappeared.
    I always had about .680mb/s to .750mb/s on SpeedTest.net.
    My Wi-Fi radio worked very well………:D

(As I write this the BB has dropped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN…2times.)

Now on 3Mb/s with VF on Speedtest.net it goes everywhere from
    2.5 – 0.0 just like a yo-yo….
    The Wi-Fi radio is on and off and suffering the net (WHAT NET!).

VF advertises an always-on BB.

I DO OT HAVE WHAT IT SAID ON THE BOX!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

BT come back and send VF back to there Mobiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

easkey wrote: »
    O GOD can i agree:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I associate with what your are saying, I have rang, phoned and E-mailed
    But to no avail. There costumer service it is nowhere.
    Was with BT for 5 years on 1Mb and my broadband never disappeared.
    I always had about .680mb/s to .750mb/s on SpeedTest.net.
    My Wi-Fi radio worked very well………:D

(As I write this the BB has dropped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN…2times.)

Now on 3Mb/s with VF on Speedtest.net it goes everywhere from
    2.5 – 0.0 just like a yo-yo….
    The Wi-Fi radio is on and off and suffering the net (WHAT NET!).

VF advertises an always-on BB.

I DO OT HAVE WHAT IT SAID ON THE BOX!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

BT come back and send VF back to there Mobiles.
    Sounds like your line can only handle 1MB, this is the unfortunate thing as all customers transferring over are automatically being put on a 3MB profile. I would ring Vodafone and request that you get your profile adjusted to 1MB.

Also, their DNS servers aren't the greatest - why not use Googles new ones (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I'm having similar problems. I was a BT customer for 6 years, now to be switched to Vodafone.

Worst part is, per my previous post, BT tells me I have been switched already when I ring them, saying they can't help me. When I do an NSLookup I see I am on a Vodafone IP now. I call Vodafone and they tell me they have no record of my account, to try next week. It has been three weeks now and each week they tell me to try back next week as they might find my account info.

On a good note I still have broadband and phone service. I got my 'final bill' from BT three weeks ago, when the problems with my service started. Right now I dunno if I am being charged or anything - it appears I exist in some sort of broadband limbo.

I have called Vodafone over a dozen times in the past three weeks, five yesterday alone, only to be hung up on by each customer service person who either tells me to call BT or puts me on hold for ten minutes while they say they will look into the matter, then just hang up.

I'm not happy at ALL with Vodafone right now - their broadband service or their customer service. If this is what I have to look forward to once they do 'find' my account, I will be switching to Eircom. And I feckin HATE Eircom. I left them six years ago because of stupid ****e like this happening with THEIR customer service (i.e. putting you on hold then hanging up when you call with a problem).

It's just too bad that Vodafone bought Perlico and BT, because now here in Clare we only have two choices - Vodafone or Eircom. It's like picking which ankle you want to be shot in when choosing a broadband provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

CptSternn wrote: »
    I'm having similar problems. I was a BT customer for 6 years, now to be switched to Vodafone.

Worst part is, per my previous post, BT tells me I have been switched already when I ring them, saying they can't help me. When I do an NSLookup I see I am on a Vodafone IP now. I call Vodafone and they tell me they have no record of my account, to try next week. It has been three weeks now and each week they tell me to try back next week as they might find my account info.

On a good note I still have broadband and phone service. I got my 'final bill' from BT three weeks ago, when the problems with my service started. Right now I dunno if I am being charged or anything - it appears I exist in some sort of broadband limbo.

I have called Vodafone over a dozen times in the past three weeks, five yesterday alone, only to be hung up on by each customer service person who either tells me to call BT or puts me on hold for ten minutes while they say they will look into the matter, then just hang up.

I'm not happy at ALL with Vodafone right now - their broadband service or their customer service. If this is what I have to look forward to once they do 'find' my account, I will be switching to Eircom. And I feckin HATE Eircom. I left them six years ago because of stupid ****e like this happening with THEIR customer service (i.e. putting you on hold then hanging up when you call with a problem).

It's just too bad that Vodafone bought Perlico and BT, because now here in Clare we only have two choices - Vodafone or Eircom. It's like picking which ankle you want to be shot in when choosing a broadband provider.

Why don't you post over in the Vodafone forum - I'd you'll get better support there than ringing customer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Greeb

center15 wrote: »

Same here.
    It's been terrible since the switch to Vodafone. I've been on the Vodafone forums and do have a guy trying to help me but I'm not sure it's working. First step was to downgrade me from 7Mb to 3Mb. Not happy about that and wonder why. But if it keeps me connected I'll try it.

Then just today there were changes made to my "line profile" as they can see the disconnects. it's good and reassuring they can see the disconnects at least.
    But I'm still having issues. But now, in the last few hours it's not so much disconnects but browser issues. And had limited connection messages from Windows.
    I will bear with it, for the moment. Because this guy IS trying to help. But I wish they would level with us. What is the problem? What is going wrong? And how/when do they plan to fix it?

And like many others here I did not have these problems before the switch to Vodafone.

Good to vent with others in the same boat.
    Good luck to us all,
    Greeb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

It's driving me mad! We're properly moved over today and I have to say very impressed with Vodafone's account section on their site. A million times better than BT's. However service is utter crap. What are they playing at like. What's the point in them helping you the issue is very widespread they must know this by now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Just to back up everyone else -

My parents are also now on Vodafone.

They are having similar downtime. Internet just randomly stops and starts.

Utter joke but you all know that. I look forward to ranting the ear off a manager.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Vodafone are cronic, so many horror stories I cancelled my broadband with BT prior to the switch for ease of porting to UPC.
    Long story short Vodafone re-enabled my BBand when they took over my line, without my permission.
    I failed to get ported because of this and have to stay with them an extra month.
    Then they double billed me for phone and BBand/phone service.
    Then they got my bank details from BT (an old direct debit I had) and took a double bill from my account.
    Shower of incompetent tossers as far as I'm concerned and I can't wait until I get my phone ported to be rid of them, the hassle I've had has been unreal these last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

slave1 wrote: »
    Vodafone are cronic, so many horror stories I cancelled my broadband with BT prior to the switch for ease of porting to UPC.
    Long story short Vodafone re-enabled my BBand when they took over my line, without my permission.
    I failed to get ported because of this and have to stay with them an extra month.
    Then they double billed me for phone and BBand/phone service.
    Then they got my bank details from BT (an old direct debit I had) and took a double bill from my account.
    Shower of incompetent tossers as far as I'm concerned and I can't wait until I get my phone ported to be rid of them, the hassle I've had has been unreal these last few weeks.

Maybe it is time to write to Comreg. This is starting to sound like abusive practice. Comreg can be pretty good handling stuff like this. I suggest you write to Comreg and copy customer service for BT and Vodafone.

In my experience it made things much faster. So much that two months AFTER the problem was resolved via Comreg I got a letter from BT saying they were starting to look into it.... and Vodafone seems to be as proactive as BT back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,039 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I just saw that Vodafone charged me 7.36 euro for call barring for Dec .
    That is extortion,Eircom charge nothing for the same service.
    BT used to charge me ~3.50 per month.
    My package is 39 euro per month and for an extra euro they offer free off peak calls and 200 mins vodafone minutes.
    Can I upgrade to that package ?
    Is there much downtime between switching providers these days ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

I was BT broadband since 2001. I was aware there would be an automatic changeover, but I assumed I would be notified during the week before they were going to switch me over, but I got no notification, so it was only tonight that I realised it when doing a speed test over at speedtest.net.

The past few weeks, I have had the following problems with my broadband:

1) When I log onto Windows, it takes at least 2 minutes before the connection icon appears in the system tray. It then takes a further minute before I am connected. With BT, I was always connected almost as soon as I entered my Windows log-in password.

2) Often, my connection drops. At least once an hour. I have to restart the modem frequently. Often, I have to restart the computer.

3) Pages have been loading incorrectly and images have sometimes not been showing up.

4) Other small random errors.

I have enjoyed the 300% increase in my download speed though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Same here.

Advertisement